“nice location and good food”

Nirvana - The Indian Restaurant
Ranked #2,322 of 4,390 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old University Quarter
Reviewed September 15, 2012

very nice location. The menu is not big but well selected vegetarian and meat dish. The food is good, nice prepared. The atmosphere is really nice for dinner.

1  Thank anna a

Reviewed August 6, 2012

On our last night of a whistle-stop tour around Europe (Czech Republic, Germany, Switzerland and Austria) we had our fourth curry of the week! And having tried many different ones this was probably my favourite.

Judging by the reviews there are better Indian restaurants in Vienna but since we didn't find one I was happy with this! Yes, it felt a bit like we were inside a shopping centre but we were impressed by the whole approach of the restaurant. Service was attentive and friendly, fast and efficient. As in Prague the menu was small so I went for the samosas again. They were similar to the Indian Jewel in Prague but much better! My main course was a lamb jalfrezi and it had a good kick to it as did my brother's madras! I've seen other reviewers complain about the nans being thinner and more crispy than in the UK but I much prefered them. I prefer chapattis or paratha but these nans were a great size, crispy and delicious.

Obviously it's difficult to judge on one visit but if you get the same attention and quality that we did you shouldn't be disappointed.

4  Thank Catweevil
Reviewed August 6, 2012

i was in vienna for 3 days and quite accidentally walked into this wonderful and excellent restaurent
Food was very well cooked and delicious.The ambionce of the restaurent and the service,it was all wonderful.I have mentioned about this restaurent to some of my friends in England and have asked them to try Nirvana next when they visit Vienna.I for myself ,will definately visit the place next when i am out in Austria.Loved it.

3  Thank Joya70
Reviewed August 4, 2012

NIRVANA Indian restaurant is tucked away in a little food court just off the bottom end of the Roturmerstrasse. You might miss it, but I think it’s quite near the Spar store.
As usual, for European curry houses, the menu is limited by English standards, but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing.
We started with poppadums with I think cumin seeds in them, (grilled, again) with a selection of dips, not the British selection of pickles, but pleasant enough. Then we moved on to a Chicken Jalfrezi and a lamb Vindaloo, both well cooked and tender. The waiter asked if I wanted my Vindaloo “European hot” whatever that is: and I asked for it to be “sehr stark” , it arrived about a mild Madras sort of strength. The lamb was tender and tasty. Neither dish was laced with chemical food dyes, which was nice.

The bill was reasonable, and the service quite good. The only down side was that, being in an open food court, people could smoke; YUK!.

2  Thank RayattheBay
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Ambiance is good, so is the service-waiter was attentive. There is not much on the positive side for this restaurant. Indian drinks are a waste for someone who has tasted good food in US, UK, India or even in some other Indian restaurants in Europe. I know Indian food well enough to first ask where is the cook from, as opposed to simply reading the name, looking for decor or, checking the menu list.
Downers: Quality is average for the food, drinks are a joke. Quantity is something to laugh at- There is a distinction between sabji/accompaniments (main entree) vs. Chutney. Not here- The serving size is too small to even eat a half Naan with. Naan was well prepared, and that was the only good food item. Rice does not come with entree, which is not so bad considering many Indian rest. now try to make money with small items such as papad, chutney, pickle and three spoons of rice, but the menu items have things very easy to make, and yet they are about 12-13 Euros, One item had hair, and I was already tired of lowering my expectation, so I did not bother to complain. If you are craving for Indian food keep reading my reviews on Vienna dinning.