“Exceeded My Expectations!”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Inner City
Reviewed February 27, 2015

For several years I have been staying at the Hotel Graben, while visiting Vienna (a couple times every year). However, I never at at their Italian restaurant. On my latest visit I promised myself before arriving in Vienna, that I would eat at Trattoria Santo Stefano, and am I ever glad I did!

On my first evening in Vienna, I left my room and went to the restaurant. I was warmly greeted by a host/server, who showed me to a table. He took my wine order, however, then another server, Helmut, took over. I ordered the salttimbocca and decided to also have a small salad. The original server made my salad at a salad station, and it was fabulous! They don't simply grab a pre-made salad out of the refrigerator ----- they make you an excellent salad from scratch, and because I was sitting near the salad station, I could see it done.

The main course was excellent, and I was stuffed.

For some reason, I really wanted something "sweet" to end this meal, but I wanted something very light. So, when Helmut came back to ask about coffee and dessert, I that I knew it is not on the menu (I speak German)but would it be possible to have a "Weinschaum" (sabayon). He immediately replied, "Oh,a sabayon. But of course. Would you like that with white wine or maybe a marsala? It really is better with marsala wine." I opted for the masala version. Helmut explained that the kitchen is happy to take care of special requests when they are not too busy.

He later came back with the sabayon, and it was superb! I asked him if he suggested the marsala sabayon, because that makes it a little sweeter, and he said that is exactly the reason.

You can always judge an excellent restaurant as such, if they are willing to prepare you something, which is not on the menu ---- and do it with a smile.

On my fourth and final evening in Vienna, on this trip, and had another great meal in Trattoria Santo Stefano. And for those who only speak English, don't worry, I saw the servers being gracious to a couple tables of English-speak guests.

And, yes, I had another sabayon for dessert. A Viennese man sitting at a table next to me with a friend commented on it, when it was served. He said (in German, of course), "Oh, you ordered a sabayon, correct?" And then he nodded in approval.

FamilieKremslehner, Inhaber at Trattoria Santo Stefano, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2015

Dear Guest,
thank you so much for your really, really nice feedback on TripAdvisor, which certainly will encourage other readers to visit our Trattoria Santo Stefano.
We are pleased to read, that you had a nice experience at our Trattoria and with our staff. We will forward your kind words to our team who will be delighted to hear that they are doing a really good job.
Looking forward to your soon return visit.
Your Kremslehner family, Helmut and the Trattoria team

Reviewed December 30, 2014 via mobile

This restaurant is OK, but there are so many other restaurants that are better in the area. The service was good, the restaurant was cosy, but the food wasn't great, very average meals.

FamilieKremslehner, Inhaber at Trattoria Santo Stefano, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2015

Dear Guest,

we are sorry to hear, that our cuisine did not exceed your expectation.

Normally we are complimented for our traditional Italian Trattoria and we are sorry to hear, that you did not like it.

Thank you for mentioning our great service.

Best regards from Vienna

Reviewed December 25, 2014

My wife is a lover of schnitzels, but you cannot eat them every day. Being guests of Hotel Graben. we made a simple chose for the dinner. And this was an excellent one. The Trattoria had everything you could expect from an Italian restaurant on their menu. Being not so hungry we ordered lasagne. It was the right chose. Very tasty and not too big. Too that we had well tasting Italian house wine.
Although the restaurant was full, the service was efficient and very pleasant. Highly recommendable.

Dear Guest,

thank you very much for dining at our Trattoria Santo Stefano.

We are pleased to read, that you enjoyed your meal, the wine and above all our perfect service.

Thank you for recommending us and for writing your nice review.

Hoping to welcome you again, next time you visit Vienna, we remain with best regards

Reviewed December 20, 2014

Me and my husband went to Vienna with a tourist group to the Christkindlmarkt.
Our program was very crowded, and we have only a few time to eat somewhere. We found this nice restaurant for our fortunate: the service was good and very-very fast. The staff was nice, the food is amazing. The beer is good too :) Thank You very much once again!

Dear Guest,

We are happy to read, that we could optimize your stay in Vienna with your visit in our Trattoria Santo Stefano.

Thank you very much for your feedback on TripAdvisor.

Best regards from Vienna.

Reviewed December 7, 2014 via mobile

The restaurant was almost full but the waiter gave us a warm welcome in italian language. I answered in German but ordered in english. When we left the waiter said good bey in Portuguese.
I truly recommend this place because everything was great. Always with good humor, the food was served in an pleasant environment. Not expensive and good quality.