“Highly recommended!”

Cuisines: Austrian, Cafe
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Neighborhood: Old University Quarter
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Large dishes, delicious food, reasonable prices, good service, excellent atmosphere.
Highly recommended!

Reviewed November 22, 2013

We stopped at the Kaffee Alt Wien for lunch after noticing that the daily special was the wienerschnitzel. We were not disappointed. It was a great lunch and a great price since it was the daily special. I would eat here again any day.

1  Thank Richard W
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Dark and scruffy, but with good coffee, reasonable snacks and lots of arty /'alternative' adverts (mainly posters). Lots of 'arty' mags - if you can read German, otherwise they do still have a two-day old UK paper. Every time I have been, there appear to be groups of quietly muttering men. If you like the Orson Welles film, this is the sort of place you'd expect the Count or the Doctor to frequent.
That is during the day. I had intended to go one evening, some years ago, but as I approached, the place was so noisy and crowded that I did not even get to the door before turning away.
I have only had snacks there but I do recommend their Wuerstel mit Saft (sausages in gulash juice). Very spicy!

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Went there for a late lunch and maybe we were a bit lucky that there were not many people. So we didn't really face the problem of smokers inside the place. The place is rather dark though. But worry not, they serve good food. The menu was very simple. Someone told us to try out their goulash, and we did. I'm not sure whether it's a Viennese thing or what, but we've tried several goulash in Vienna and every one of them is different. One thing for sure, the goulash here is one of my favourite. It has big chunks of beef. Makes it look like smothered pieces of steak. Very tasty. We were also given buns for the side. I don't think I was starving that time, but the buns were good! So good that we had to order more of them.

Very nice food, friendly owner. The only thing that can be improved is the atmosphere. A good place to eat

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Our bike tour guide recommended this spot to us and we went here twice for the goulash and schnitzel and drinks. The front can get smokey so it's good to get a seat by the open windows if you're a non-smoker (or sit in the back section). Love the posters and furniture, no frills, just a great spot to hang and pass the time. Schnitzel with potato salad was about 9 Euro but it was the best schnitzel we had during our time in Germany and Austria, not over-breaded, and perfectly paired with the potato salad. Wines well-priced by the glass and beer, too. You will see down the street a line of tourists waiting to get into Figlmueller and feel so glad that you didn't go there, but instead relaxed among locals at Alt Wien.

1  Thank ColoradoRocks915