“Ofal Ofal Good”

Cuisines: Austrian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Simmering
Description: the Stern is closed just 3 days a Year, 24th December, 31st December and 1st January
Reviewed July 6, 2016

A Great Local Find for those of us who like nose to tale dinning. I started off with the steak tare tare which was clean and flavorful, some of the best that I have tasted. And for my main, the deep fried calf brains. I know, I know, most people says it sounds gross, so if it was called cream of veal it would be extinct over night. One of the few restaurants that serve it year round. I could eat it every day. Sweet, creamy and with a great outside breading. Do not miss this one folks, well worth the trip.

Date of visit: July 2016
1  Thank GerardL298
Write a reviewReviews (379)

Reviewed June 4, 2016

We came back 2 years later to this same restaurant traveling with our students. This place is even better than two years ago. Personally I went back for dinner all three nights we spend in Vienna. Unlike two years ago, if you're going in large groups you must make a reservation. My friends are blaming me for giving such a glowing review two years ago! But trust me, it's worth it! This time the special was wild boar either minced in very large patties or steaks. It was amazingly good! I also had cordon bleu, trust me you must try it. Even their soups are good! Their red beer is very tasty and their schnapps are definitely among the best ones I ever had in Austria. Among other things, their prices are excellent compared other dining experiences in Austria. Service is impeccable, their waiters are extremely nice and are extremely helpful even if you don't speak german.

Date of visit: May 2016
1  Thank js2952
Reviewed April 14, 2016 via mobile

We ordered a Bio Schnitzel and it came with salted potatoes as well as a fitting salad. It's a cozy traditional Restaurant with very reasonable prices! Reachable with the city train, station "Braunhubergasse". It was a bit annoying that the waiter took very long with bringing the bill but nevertheless the food overtrumped everything.

Date of visit: April 2016
3  Thank aebmar
Reviewed April 8, 2016

This was our second and final restaurant in Vienna, a very nice unpretentious restaurant with a comprehensive menu serving a good range of Viennese dishes

The staff were excellent and our waiter was extremely helpful, discussing the dishes and pointing out those that were typically local

It’s obviously a local restaurant used by the locals – there were a number there when we were there – it’s not luxurious but still very nice

We started with Viennese Potato Soup and Small Beef Tartar, followed by Boiled Beef and Roasted calf’s brain served with eggs (they have an amazing offal menu) and finishing with chocolate cake & pancakes & cranberry jelly

The bill including tip came to 70 euro’s

If we are in Vienna again we will certainly go there again – it would take many visits to work your way through this excellent menu !

Date of visit: March 2016
2  Thank Jclynes
Reviewed April 6, 2016 via mobile

Typical austrian food in a classy way and very friendly staff, there are lots of old local people, because they know where is good traditional food :) Try it out if you are in this area of Vienna!

Date of visit: April 2016