“Superb!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kristian's Monastiri

Kristian's Monastiri
Ranked #273 of 4,070 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Austrian, European, Central European, Contemporary, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Neubau
Vienna, Austria
“Superb!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

We visited this restaurant on a special deal so were served from a limited fixed menu but it was amazing! Delicious, innovative food, a magnificent wine list, friendly professional service and a lovely venue. We will definitely be going back - in the warmer months so we can sit in the award winning outdoor eating area.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Warrington, United Kingdom
“Monstrous!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

As they poisoned my wife (see end of review for details), I'd give this restaurant 0/5 but Tripadvisor won't permit it.

Apart from that minor issue, is my low rating justified? Make your own mind up about that.

The main restaurant was empty when we arrived at 7:30pm. It was a hot night, so we were seated in the courtyard with around 40 other guests - including a couple next to us who were waiting for their dessert.

After a delay, they took our drinks order; cocktail and white port - the cocktail was fine. The port was a tiny half-measure of something and while it smelt OK, it tasted vile. I sent it back and the waiter made a great show of smelling it and declaring it OK. I insisted he taste it and his face was a picture. He apologised immediately and returned a few minutes later with a proper measure of genuine white port. He said this is what should have been served and he had no idea what the other stuff had been - they had got the wrong glass.

After twenty minutes, they took the order. The menu is badly written and impossible to understand (anyone want to have a guess at what "Lax Fish 'n Chips vineyard´s nectarine" is? - You'll probably be wrong!).

It was clear that something was wrong with the service. There were many people getting impatient waiting for dishes. The waiters would strut and fret their hour, but despite all the running around, didn't seem to achieve much.

at 8:30pm, our starters arrived while our neighbour was still waiting for his dessert. My wife's starter we'll deal with later - but I had the Lax Fish and Chips. Salmon served two ways with some salad and other clutter; a tall shot-glass with a dab of mayo in the bottom, topped with a wax paper cone containing two chopped up kettle crisps. Not unpleasant, but a bit bizarre.

Over an hour later, the mains arrived (Turbot with potato risotto and a dry Linguini with shrimp). We'd been entertained in the meantime by our neighbour and the waiter. His dessert was on its way - but would he like a glass of sekt for the inconvenience? "No", he replied. "I don't have time to wait for you to serve it." Eventually, he gave them a five minute deadline, after which they produced the dessert. Nearly two hours to prepare a small blob of ice-cream and some garnish!

The food was OK - but nothing which justified the price or the astonishing time it took to prepare.

And so to that starter.

My wife has an allergy to rocket (rucola/arugula) which causes burning in the mouth and her throat to swell. She asked if the salad could be prepared without rocket and explained the issue to the waiter. This is a procedure we go through many times in restaurants and the waiter said several times it would be no problem. When the starter was served, the waiter hurriedly placed the dishes and informed us what they were. She asked again to confirm they had not used rocket and he confirmed it. I speak fluent German so there was no misunderstanding due to language here.

By the time she found the leaves in the salad, it was too late. He had simply ignored the request and/or lied to her. Allergy medication and pain-killers would be needed the following day. This is absolutely unacceptable in a restaurant of any quality and for a place with such aspirations; inexcusable.

Well done Kristian! Thank you for that. Zero out of five!

I've seen the other more positive reviews and can't identify anything in them which matches our experience. I can only assume satisfied customers were there in very small numbers when the waiters had only a handful to deal with.

If Kristian replaced his staff with more competent people and employed a Maître d'hôtel to supervise them, this place has some promise. As it is, I wouldn't recommend it unless you have plenty of time and money. And if you have any kind of food intollerance, be very careful indeed! They know not - or care not - what they do!

The previous night we ate a superb meal at Vincent for just under €200. This weak effort was €160 and for this money, and the pretensions of the place, they need to be much better.

• Visited August 2012
Sheffield, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Too self satisfied...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

On contemplation after a 4 course meal at this place I felt that we (I went with my partner) had been rather duped. We were taken in by the good linen and the bombastic attitude of our waiter (who really did take himself rather too seriously). I felt that with the pomp and ceremony of this place that I would certainly be in for some culinary delights. In fairness each course was beautifully presented and the majority of the effort seemed to be directed into this display of culinary skill. No doubt the menu is well conceived and imaginative and a range of fresh and inventive flavours are used.
For my starter I had the smoked scallops which were cooked well enough, but which were accompanied by some rather redundant carrot juice in a shot glass which seemed to have no place on the plate. For the main course I had roasted veal which for me was the major let down of the whole event. It was tough and lacked flavour and although again the plate was beautifully presented I feel that a good piece of veal deserves much better treatment and alas was really very average. The desserts were again, average, raher forgettable even.
All in all, I think this place is showing off rather too much, it felt smug and self satisfied (perhaps we may have been unfortunate with our waiter??) but did no provide the culinary skills to support such an attitude, even the billl was served up to me in a little treasure chest box - rather naff and unnecessary. My partner and I came away from the evening feeling we had really overpaid for a distinctly average meal inspite of how well it was presented. I would not visit again as there are far superior places to eat in the area which are more friendly and deliver more culinary skill. However if you aren't too concerned about taste and enjoy the 'performance' aspect and presentation of food that looks exciting and you want to pay a premium for it, then this is for you.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Rossendale, United Kingdom
“Gorgeous food and excellent service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

The food was fantastic - typically Viennese but very tasty. We were provided with an English translated menu without asking and the waiter was very knowledgeable about what I could and could not eat, being coeliac. Lovely.

Visited July 2012
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Best meal in Vienna”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

The cooking at this restaurant is quite exceptional and innovative. And what's even better is that it won't break the bank! The service was friendly but professional. I can't quite understand why they don't have a Michelin star. Do I need to say more? Go and try it for yourself.

Visited July 2012