“Like in the good, old times…”
Review of Zum Alten Fassl

Zum Alten Fassl
Ranked #28 of 4,413 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Austrian
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Margareten
Reviewed June 12, 2013

“Zum alten Fassl” (“Ye Olde Keg”) in Vienna’s fourth district, somewhat out of the way of the paths of tourists, is a charming old inn. It’s located in a two-story building off Margarenstraße… which tells you already something: the fewer the stories, the older the building. I would venture to guess that the original building was erected no later than the late 18th, early 19th century.

In winter time in particular, go for the main dining area (not the larger room to the back), to the left of the entrance: it is in dark wood, a bit cramped, providing typical “Beisl” (Viennese inn) atmosphere, and gives you a warm, cozy feeling. In summer time, don’t miss the garden: from the entrance, go straight to the back, past the kitchen entrance, turn left and then right and there you are, in the courtyard, and you find yourself in pleasant surroundings you could only expect in the country side. The square courtyard is almost completely occupied by the restaurant’s garden, with a total of about twenty tables, one huge tree, and several smaller ones, the canopy well decked with evergreen-type leaves that spread out between the trees.

I went there for lunch. As in so many restaurants in Vienna, particularly those outside of the tourist areas, they offer lunch menus at low prices. So it is here, as well: three types of menus to select from, prices between € 5.70 to € 7.30… bargains indeed. All of them are good, dependable “Hausmannskost” (“home cooking”)… don’t expect anything fancy. Today’s choices were: fried chicken with potato salad; flat iron steak with potatoes; fried champignons. Quantities are satisfying for even the most starving patron. I selected fried mushrooms; but first, I had a vegetable soup… in your luncheon menus, you most often have a choice of antipasto or soup… reminded me of my father who always said: a meal without a soup is not a meal… The garden was almost completely full, everyone seemed to have a good time. Service was swift and pleasant. But then, the crowning event was when I noticed something moving right underneath the hedge of the yard. I looked closer… it was a hedgehog! Unbelievable, right here in the middle of the city, a hedgehog! It shuffled around, sniffed underneath the tables, including the feet of some of the patrons (without them noticing anything), and moved on. When I mentioned it to the waiter he kind of nonchalantly replied: Oh, yes, there are three of them, one mother and her little ones.

Should you go there and see the hedgehog, greet it from me…

2  Thank DFAvJ

Reviewed April 28, 2013

A second visit to this traditional and quirky restaurant. aaway from the centre but handily placed. A two course lunch can be a little as 6 euros and the menu changes each day for the special lunch with a choice of 3 mains, soup and pudding. The evening alc is top value too. Good cooking and very traditional Austrian food. Strongly Recommended.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Nice choice on menu and generous portions. Had the weinschnitzel which was lovely...worried as only came with salad so we ordered extra roasties which whilst nice did mean we over ordered. Roasts were delicious with good quality meat & the set menu was a bargain. Decor a little dated but don't let that put you off. We phoned up & booked ( in English!) as we wanted a non-smoking table..2sep non smoking rooms...an idea as couldn't get in previous eve. All in all we had a top meal.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

We were very satisfied of what we get there. If you're looking for typical local pub/restaurant with reasonably priced food and drinks this is good choice. This place is quite old looking and worn but that is creating unique atmosphere. Restaurant has 2 parts - smoking and no smoking, beer is good as well as tafelspitz (Austrian speciality). Servers very friendly. Good for meeting with friends, no good for business or family dining.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We had a reservation for the non-smoking section (a good idea) and were seated in a side room. After reading the reviews, I was very excited to go to this restaurant - especially because of it's reputation for having game (venison, duck, etc). It was almost what I expected. My duck (a special) came out cool and kind of tough. It was cooked to the right color - pink in the middle and perhaps it was done before my husband's dish was ready and sat for a while. The chef would not heat up the duck because then it would have been overcooked. Fair enough bc then it would have been super tough. Everything that came with it was tasty - knodle (sp) was *fantastic*. My husband had beef joint and it was very good. He gave me some of that and ate the duck, too. They did their best to compensate for the duck by giving us a few beers on the house. That was nice. All told, it was a good experience. The service was the best we have had in Wien!

2  Thank NancyHTH