“Excellent”

Ranked #50 of 4,231 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Austrian, Gastropub, Brew Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Welcome in the amazing world of on the premises brewed delicious beers, brewed according old receipies,the love for homestyle cuisine and on the premises destilled brands, made from our beers.Welcome at the most historical site with an 450 years history. Welcome at Salm Braeu of the Welledits-Family.Since June 2013 Salm Bräu is 100% smoke free indoors !
Toronto, Canada
“Excellent”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

A must eat at place in Vienna!!! After eating at a few Austrian restaurants that felt like tourist traps which were overpriced with poor service (keeping in mind we are not in North America), we hit gold with this restaurant. This restaurant was recommended to us by a local. The food was excellent!!! We ordered 3 different dishes and they were all top notch (would have loved the recipes). my husband was impressed with the beer. Our server was Olga and she was friendly, efficient and beautiful. We were greeted as we entered by a friendly gentleman and seated promptly. I wish I had found this restaurant sooner as we would have eaten there a number of times. Atmosphere is lovely too!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Natalieilovetotravel
Albert W, Inhaber at Salm Braeu, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Wow, thank you, happy to read, that you enjoyed your time at Salm Braeu...

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles
“Great beer, good food.”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Very nice place, close to Belvedere. Get the pork leg or the Wiener Schnitzel. All beers are top notch, especially the Weizen.

• Visited June 2013
“Fun place with great food and beer!”
Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I picked this place based on tripadvisor reviews and had a great time. We sat outside and loved the casual atmosphere and people watching. We tried their pilsner and lager and loved both. To start we ordered a couple of pretzels and they were great with the beer. I had Wiener schnitzel and my husband had spare ribs. The portions are huge! We saved enough room for apple strudel for dessert and it was worth it.
The food and beer were good here but the overall atmosphere made this a fun experience. Would definitely recommend it!

Plano, Texas
“Good to the last drop, ...”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

One advantage to have meeting in Vienna is that you have many choices of good beers. My friend recommended this place and we had a great evening there with reasonable (less than 25 Euros each for four for dinner plus 4.5 litters of beer).

The quality of food is good. They have a couple of choices of "food serveed on a frying pan" and we ordered the one with beef, mushroom, and the spinach dumpling. The taste is good but a bit salty. My friend told me that's typical (salty) in Vienna. Spinach dumpling with bacon, to me, is better. We also had the "beer spread" and that's unique. The white sausage with pretzel is a "must have" if you also drink beer. Oh, come on, this is a brewery so you HAVE TO drink beer.

I only tried the "wheat beer" and that was fantastic! I got a litter jug and eased it in with all the food. The taste is great with a touch of the sweetness of wheat. We ate and talked all night and the taste of beer stayed good, all the way to the last drop!

We did not order the famous "double-knifed ham" because we had it the day before in other restaurant; however, it looks wonderful and I enjoy watching the father of the family sitting next to us carving it and distributed it to his family.

We sat outdoors on a long table and bench. Not much of ambiance per se. But, hey, we are there or beers - who cares about ambiance?

Seattle, Washington
“Great food and interesting atmosphere”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We asked at our hotel for recommendations for a good dinner spot fairly close to the hotel. He said that the best recommendation was the Salm Brau and it was on only 4 tram stops from the hotel.

We chose to have the Surstelze (ham honch) for 2 (only 20.40 Euro), with some potatoes and a salad. We were AMAZED when the waiter brought the Surstele on a carving board, with 2 knives stuck into it, holding it to the board. The ham was delicious, and enough for us and at least 2 others!! The potates and salad were also excellent. We also had some of their beer and all was good.

I was somewhat disappointed that on the next night we were not close enough to go back for another dinner.

Well worth the price and more.