“Surprisingly good in such a touristy area!”
Review of Cafe Mozart

Cafe Mozart
Ranked #24 of 122 Dessert in Vienna
Cuisines: Austrian, Cafe
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Inner City
Description: Café seit Mozarts Zeiten The first coffeehouse was opened at this location in 1794, three years after the death of W.A. Mozart. The Café Katzmayr located here was a popular meeting point for writers, artists, and actors during the Biedermeier period. In 1882 the old baroque house was torn down, and a Café was opened again in the present building which received the name Café Mozart in 1929. Here is where Graham Green worked on the screenplay of 'The third man' in 1947. A scene of this great classic film takes place in the street serving area of the Café Mozart. Enjoy the atmosphere of a traditional Viennese café without being bothered by smoke! For the Café Mozart is entirely a non-smoking café. If you wish to smoke you can do so on the terrace of our café or in the bar area of Crossfield’s Australian Pub next door.
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We passed by this cafe several times, thinking it must be overpriced and average food in such a high traffic area near the Opera and the Albertina. Not so! It was lively but the service was fantastic and the food much better than some highly-rated restaurants. My fried, boneless chicken was lightly battered ( like a schnitzel) but crisp on the outside and moist on the inside.My husbands steak tartare was an interesting version, topped with guacamole!
But,oh, the desserts!!! A very hard decision,indeed! I settled on a chocolate coated waffle cone filled with rasberry cream and studded with fresh blueberries, raspberries and blackberries.Yum!!! We so thoroughly enjoyed the meal that we returned the next night. Our charming waiter recognized us and treated us like family. Thank you,Sasha! We enjoyed the second time at Cafe Mozart( and our last dinner in Vienna).

Write a ReviewReviews (2,697)

Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

We must have the same waiter as the previous reviewer. Rude arrogant and just not interested in tourists. Avoid. There are plenty of excellent less expensive places with wonderful staff in vienna.

5  Thank Dubliner2006
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We were in Vienna for the day as part of a Danube River Cruise. Our morning city tour ended, and we wanted a decent lunch and a taste of Viennese pastries. I checked Trip Advisor and decided Cafe Mozart would serve our needs. Once again the site delivers. We were warmly greeted and enjoyed a fun lunch. Skip the food review... we had an array of delicious desserts which were better than the luncheon fare.

Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

My huband and I happened upon this place and stopped in after reading the specials. He got the beef special and I got the emperor's pancakes - both were good but I liked mine better. I also had a cafe latte that was very good, and my husband had the house special torte with orange and chocolate that was very good as well. The cafe's free wifi was convenient, too. Our total meal was about €50, which seemed a bit expensive but not outrageous.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Just around the corner from the Hotel Sacher Wien, the Cafe Mozart is a pretty good place for a less formal evening meal. Service was excellent and the food well presented. My wife had fish and I had beef. Both were good but highly salted. We've found that Austrian cuisine often tended to be salty and, perhaps, that is because of the long tradition of the salt industry near Salzburg. Not sure, but that is our guess. One slight negative about the Cafe Mozart was the regular cycling through of street vendors going table to table selling trinkets, flowers, and newspapers. A little odd but they were easy to shoo away with a flick of the hand. Still, worth a try and the wine selection was pretty good.