Hotel Carina
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsroom was cleanone nighttwo nightstramcityreceptionsleep
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 8, 2011

The rooms are quite dirty.. the bathrooms in particular are not at all clean. The rooms are small and depressing. There is no coffee machine and no vending machines, in case one is hungry at night,. The telephones were out of order when we arrived and it took a couple of days to fix them.
The 9 Euro (extra) breakfast is OK, with a combo of hot and cold selections.
If you are a nervous or first-time traveler, this is not the place for you. The reception desk closes down at noon or 1 p.m. for the rest of the day and night (unless guests are expected to arrive). Otherwise, you are on your own.
The smell of the nearby chocolate factory is charming at first, but after the second day, it is nauseating.
This is a rather depressed neighborhood with nothing special to see or do there.
Obviously, I do not recommend it.

Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank setibbie
Reviewed June 2, 2011

My trip to Vienna corresponded with two major events, so I was stunned to find no hotels available under $300 USD per night apart from Carina. Rather than canceling Vienna, I decided to give it a shot. As with most of my reviews, let's start with Pros:

Pros: Nice front desk staff; there was a billing issue where I cut short a day, and front desk helped me with agoda.com to get it resolved. Room was not great, but was reasonably clean. A bit loud from street noise, but acceptable. The price was a good bit cheaper than a lot of other hotels in Vienna.

Cons: I thought the hotel was quite far from anything of interest. Vienna old town is beautiful and historic. The rest of Vienna is rather run-down and non-descript. That's exactly the type of location this hotel was in. It took quite a while to take a tram to city center. The hotel's area is not exactly dangerous, but does feel run-down and just bland and uninteresting. I was quite glad when we checked out and moved on.

Overall impression: The hotel was okay, but unless I'm in the same situation where all other hotels in the city are booked up, I'd probably try to stay closer to the city center.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 21, 2010

Hotel in a reasonable good location. The room was very small and most disappointing was not clean and smelly. Asked for an other room but the standar of cleaness was the same. Travelling solo I have found unconfortable that at the reception no one was there after noon specially in the night where the automatic door staid open for a few minutes and I was always wooried someone was behind me.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank dona28
Reviewed October 13, 2010

Hotel Carina is an excellent choice if staying in Vienna and looking for a great value hotel. While not down town, it is in a very quiet residential area and it is super easy to take the tram to any of the major attractions in Vienna. On street parking is available which is ample and has no time limit. Rooms are clean and spacious.

My one quibble is that there was no one on duty when we arrived to check in. The key was left in a lock box, so there was no issue in entering, but there was no one available for inquiries or in the event you were in need of an extra towel or something like that. However, this small detraction was more than overcome by the incredible helpfulness of the manager when we met him in the morning. He gave us perfect instructions on how to travel to various sites, and invaluable advice on what was of interest and how to structure our time.

Overall, I would make Hotel Carina my first choice when travelling to Vienna.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank gzsue
Reviewed March 19, 2010

Nice clean room but far from the any point of interest.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family