“Awesome!!”

Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Ottakring
“Awesome!!”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

On our first night in Vienna we went to this fantastic restaurant. A great meal that was a great portion and and the best tasting. The courtyard outside sets a scene for you to enjoy you evening. The friendly staff also spoke English were happy to help.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Lei D

Fribourg, Switzerland
“Ottakringer Spareribs...my favorites!”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Forget the saucy BBQ ribs that you can have in the United States... I've had a lot of those. The ribs in the Ottakringer are the best that i've ever had. No sauce at all, just some very good seasoning. If you take a starter i wouldn't go for the big one, it was too much for me. The waiters where very nice and entertaining to. You will hear a lot of: "Mahlzeit!" shouts there :)
I would recommend this place to everyone and it is really the effort to find. Even if you don't like ribs. The antipasti, the spinach balls and the beer were excellent too!

• Visited August 2013
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Pure Hog Heaven”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This somewhat out-of-the-way restaurant is very much worth the effort find.

My partner and I both ordered the ribs and and an Ottakringer Rotespeckl which is a red beer brewed by the Ottakringer Brewery in this district. It was cold and rainy so we sat in the very warm and inviting interior, but they have a very nice courtyard on nice days/nights.

We took the advice of other reviewers and tried the ribs. They were some of the best ribs I have ever had. Americans should divorce themselves from the idea of sticky, messy barbecue-sauce laden racks. These instead are the most delicately roasted ribs - succulent but not greasy and done to perfection. No sauce, but it appears they perhaps have some sort of rub (not spicy at all). They are served up on wooden planks with perfectly roasted potatoes and a small mixed salad. They offer two sizes of ribs - small for 10.50€ which consisted of one medium sized rack and 14€ for two large racks. My partner and I (two hungry guys) ordered one small and one large which gave us each 1.5 racks which was just right without being uncomfortably overstuffed. The ribs come with two dipping sauces, one white and creamy and one that was orange colored. I don't read German well and I couldn't figure out what the bases of the sauces were but they were both quite tasty - on the sweeter side and not spicy.

An easy way to get there is to take the U3 line to the end station at Ottakring and then transfer over to the S45 train one stop to Hernals. It's only about 4 blocks from the Hernals station.

Do not be put-off by the neighborhood. It is not dicey at all, it's just really quite mundane and non-descript and we were thinking "there's a restaurant in this neighborhood?" Yes...yes there is and it is EXCELLENT!!

• Visited June 2013
Imatra, Finland
“Very original Austrian”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Just a short walking distance from our hotel (Senator) we found this lovely restaurant. They had a nice garden, and had it been warm evening, we would have wanted to dine there. But it was cold and the rains that caused so much trouble to Danube were about to start, so we went inside. We got a table at the outskirts of the smokers' area, so that was not so bad. Our waitress was very cheerful and helpful and seemed to know all of the other customers, which did not tie down her effectiveness.

Blood sausage tartar, and then the original Wiener Schnitzel plus one Landhaus Schnitzel - that was all very tasty, as was the Ottakringer Beer. Next time I must try the Ribs, they looked wonderful. Portions were large, but luckily our waitress warned us about that and was willing to serve half portions of the starters. But the top of the things was the atmosphere. We felt like traveling back in time, in a good sense.

• Visited May 2013
Lubbock, Texas
“One of the best kept secrets in Vienna!”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

The Ottakringer Landhaus is a little difficult to find on your visit to Vienna, but it is well worth the search. The food quality is outstanding. My wife had the salmon, which she said it was excellent. I had the goulash which was superb! The service was quick, friendly and efficient. We plan to return to this restaurant at least two more times during our visit to Vienna.

• Visited June 2013