“I'd like to go back”

Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Leopoldstadt
Reviewed December 20, 2013

We picked this restaurant because it was on Bookatable, and the idea of Austrian cuisine sounded intriguing and possibly not as meat-centric as the meals we had been eating all week. I was a bit leery of a hotel restaurant, since in the US that tends to mean ok-to-mediocre, but the menu sounded interesting. The restaurant itself is modishly decorated, a little hard-edged. The food claims to be Austrian-fusion, and the menu offers traditional dishes as well as more experimental ones. We opted for the 4-item tasting menu, chef's choice (although the waitress asked if there was anything we didn't like), which that evening consisted of a meat-and mashed potatoes dish, a marinated shrimp dish, a falafel-like chickpea item, and "tofu with black vegetables", which was my favorite. We also had an eggplant puree as a complimentary starter. As a Californian used to Asian foods, I'd add a little extra heat to some of the dishes - the shrimp, especially - but I can understand catering to local tastes.

My only regret is that they're so far away, as they had a lot of interesting dishes I'd like to try.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

My girlfriend and I went there to have the traditional "Martinigansl" (goose). The have a 3 course menu on offer.

The soup came with a delicious dumpling. However, it was very salty. For the main course we had goose with juniper sauce, red cabbage and dumplings. The cabbage was the best, the goose was very bad - dry, hard to bite and no spices at all. The dessert was ok, we had chestnut tiramisu. The highlight was the wine recommended by the waiter.

To be fair, they charged us only 1 menu after our complaints.

The atmosphere is a little bit strange there, like in many restaurants in hotels, the air smelled like an airfresher was working on and on.

The service was ok, but I think it's strange when you can follow every discussion going on in the kitchen.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Booked Five Senses before we arrived inn Vienna on the merit of the reviews on Tripadvisor and when we arrived we discovered it was part of the Novotel so we were a bit worried (hotel restaurants aren't usually the most inspiring places!).
A few things to mention - there was literally no atmosphere. It was dead silent, no music, and the lighting was too bright, so it immediately felt strange. It was not very busy either.
The staff were friendly and reasonably attentive and the menu was varied.
We were delighted when the waitress came to our table with a free amuse bouche to start, which was tasty. The food and wine was reasonably priced (although the wine that we chose was nothing to write home about).
The food was fairly good. I had the salmon and risotto main course. The risotto was a bit salty however. Apart from that it was tasty.My partner had the pork escalope which I tried and thought it was fairly good.
When we left the restaurant we asked why there was no music, and mentioned that it was way too silent and the waitress told us that usually they do play music, but that she forgot to put it on.
All in all ok, but the lack of atmosphere and bright lighting put a dampner on the quality of the food and service which was actually fairly good.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Peaceful, contemporary atmosphere. Impeccable service. Creative menu with an international flare and creative use of local ingredients. Great place for a quiet, romantic dinner. A plus for me....no one in the restaurant was smoking! The food was delicious and beautifully presented.

Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

The food was delicious, with fresh, local ingredients and a nice mix of traditional and creative dishes. Presentation of the food was exceptional. Each course was a work of art. Atmosphere was very nice and a welcome break from the bustle and chaos on the Ring.
Service was excellent.