“Delicious”

Cuisines: Austrian, Cafe
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Inner City
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We had made reservations for 6:30 pm, but misjudged our sight-seeing schedule and arrived a bit early. We were greeted warmly and shown at once to a nice table by the window. My husband ordered wine & I had bottled water. We decided on the pork cutlet with potatoes & the turkey Cordon Bleu with salad. The plates were served promptly and were yummy & plentiful. The ambience of the restaurant was charming and our server was polite and attentive. I would recommend this restaurant because the food was good and the surroundings were very pretty.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

We chose this restaurant because it was near to our hotel. It looked fine from the outside. Our reception was pleasant and we were seated comfortably. The food was good and plentiful - perhaps rather too plentiful in our case. That was our fault. We misread the menu and chose a cold dish as a starter but when it arrived it was very clearly a main course - to be followed by another generous portion for our chosen main course! Perhaps a little more clarity in the menu is needed? This restaurant is very close to the Volkstheater U-bahn station and the Ringstrasse tram interchange.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

We had a fine early dinner (as we arrived very early in the morning of our first day). Good quality for a good price.

Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

our young children and ourselves were greeted very kindly at the bellaria cafe. The staff was extremely lovely , the food was very good, and each one of us could find somthing that he likes; but most importantly, the atmosphere was unique and represents the best of Viennas culture...inclouding live music! We highly recomand and we will be back on our next trip to vienna.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

In the past weeks I was back at Cafè Bellaria a couple of times, once with an Austrian friend who had not been there before. He agreed to the term "gemütlich". I am sorry some reviewers are disappointed but I think they may be mislead by the fact that Trip Adviser classifies this as a restaurant. It is a Café. But not in the French or English sense but the Viennese sense. There are some excellent restaurants in Vienna (and thousands of mediocre ones!) and if you want a restaurant menu and formal service that is where you go. If you want a pub meal you go to a Beisl but beware there are places here which call themselves a Beisl but are simply third-rate restaurants. You go to Cafè Bellaria when you want a traditional Viennese Café. The reason you go is that the food is very acceptable and sometimes very good, the house wines are above average, the service warm and friendly, the accommodation clean and well presented and the prices entirely fair. The point about a Café is that you can eat and drink differently, you can take your bills separately if you wish, if you really just want a drink but something like a canapé then no one will object if you order an appetizer and share it. You can't really do that in a restaurant. As for the Lieder evenings then they are perhaps an acquired taste but I like Viennese operetta and Wiener Lieder even if I struggle to follow the Wienerisch. I also think amateur musicians and people making music happily is a great expression of the human spirit. It used to happen in British pubs 40 years ago. Even here it happens less and less...and I think I am right in saying that years ago Bellaria had piano music every night except Sundays. Now only once a week. So cherish it because it is being lost. The Cafès in the First District may still offer music for the tourists but it more often than not be trans-atlantic stuff you can hear piped into any supermarket. What I call "Music for Tips" - the pianist hears an Italian group and play "Volare", he hears Dutch and plays "Tulips from Amsterdam" - Ghastly. The strength of this Café is its authenticity. It could only be in Vienna. You know that when you hear the locals sing "Wien, Wien, nur Du allein." Written by Rudolf Sieczynski, born in Vienna of Polish / Ukrainian (?) background, it is a sound from the days of the Vielvölkerstaat. In a curious way, as a UN City and back at the centre of Europe, Vienna is once again the heart of the Vielvölkerstaat, all are welcome but at the same time at its best, like Cafè Bellaria, it remains unashamedly Viennese.

2  Thank Steve005