“Genuine experience”

Cuisines: Austrian, Central European
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Reviewed July 17, 2012 via mobile

Visited the Goldmarie after seeing the reviews at TA. And indeed was utval charming on nice place. For us used to non smoking environment when dining out, a seating outside was a "must". The courtyard was nice and calm, and a good choice anyway. The food was typical authentic austrian, and very tasty. But be patience, we waited a good 40min for our food, and it was not even crowded. All in all well worth the trip!

Reviewed June 25, 2012

On a 3 week honeymoon, our second stop after Rome was Vienna. We were tired and hungry from travel when we looked to Tripadvisor for tips on where to eat in Meidling. We speak so little German that the woman running the show at Gasthaus Goldmarie had to translate some of the menu for us. The food took a while (we knew it would in advance, thanks to reviews) and the reason was obvious when our plates arrived. The food was fantastic. Everything had that perfect balance of flavors that good Viennese food has, even though we ordered more than the traditional food. We came back the next day and found this to be the norm. We were only in Vienna a week and if we hadn't had such good food elsewhere, I would feel like we missed out since we didn't eat here every single day.

1  Thank london_clash
Reviewed September 25, 2011

This restaurant in Meidling was had veru suitable placing for us because it was in walking distance from our hotel. So we can reach Goldmarie fast after whole day of trip across the Vienna places of interests.
The restaurant has two hall and a courtyard where tables also are established and plants grow.
The kitchen presents a wide choice of the Austrian dishes and wide assortment of drinks, including rare enough (for example, non-polluting wine).
Some dishes are rather unusual, for example, bird's breasrt with a garnish from corn porridge and the corn fried on pig fat.
It is necessary to note also sincere and friendly atmosphere which creates by the restaurant personnel, and also fast and qualitative service/

Reviewed March 15, 2009

I am constantly searching for the perfect hole-in-the-wall family restaurant with fantastic food, friendly service, reasonable prices, a delightful ambiance and a laid-back vibe. This is more challenging than it sounds, but I have now stumbled upon one in Vienna.

Goldmarie in the 12th district (Meidling, for the uninitiated) is the one restaurant in the last six months that I've completely fallen for. From the outside, Goldmarie looks just dilapidated enough to be tragically hip and bohemian. As soon as I opened the old wooden door, I knew I had arrived.

Ambience is usually challenging to describe, so I will let the images do it justice. Suffice it to say that I felt immediately transported to a place at the turn of the century where the traditional Gasthaus (traditional, basic restaurant) was the center of the neighborhood, where people congregated in the evenings to have a beeer or two (or three, or four). The place has what appear to be original wood floors, charming antique furniture stock-full of gorgeous trinkets, a mid-sized sun-filled dining room, a high dark-wood counter straight out of 1920, and -- white tablecloths. I'm a sucker for white tablecloths (high-end restaurants: please take notice).

The prices are very crisis-friendly, with daily menus (which include soup or salad) at 5.90 Euro.My twin sister, Dagmar, and I both ate Eiernockerln (roughly: pasta dumplings with eggs) with a green salad, and they were as good as at any restaurant at double the price. Whenever I eat out in Austria, I like to order organic, naturally "cloudy" apple or pear juice mixed with water. Goldmarie featured an especially delightful liquid -- it was fantastic: refreshing and light., very appropiate for a spring-like day. The lunch menu was solidly dominated by reliable Austrian staples (including Schnitzel, baked mushrooms, Gulasch, etc.) and judging by the happy (multilingual) voices at the other tables, everyone else was as happy as we were.

As we dug in, we marveled at the fact that not more places like this exist. They should, and they deserve our business and our praise. We promised our friendly server (owner?) that we'd tell our friends about it, and how couldn't we? So, when you are in Vienna, take the U-6 metro (direction Siebenhirten) and get out at Philadelphiabruecke. From there, it's a 5-minute walk to one of the best neighborhood restaurants I've eaten at lately. Sure, it's not the first district, but you won't find a restaurant like this in a touristy area anyway.

As opposed to most restaurants in Austria, Goldmarie is open all day on Sunday.

6  Thank ChilangaVegas
Reviewed September 18, 2008

The hidden gem near Meidling Railway Station. Although a bit far off, the place can be easily reached by public transport. It features a cosy, personal atmosphere, a young and friendly team, and a creative kitchen which produces wonderful food at decent prices.

1  Thank Michael E