“Spirit of old Europe in new hotel”

Steigenberger Hotel Herrenhof Wien
Ranked #29 of 358 Hotels in Vienna
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Spirit of old Europe in new hotel. Fine site in the downtown, a tasty and various breakfast, purity, good service, a good number of rooms.
Near hotel there is a cult cafe "Сentral", other sights within walking distance.
I recommend.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank VadymO
EPerwanger, General Manager at Steigenberger Hotel Herrenhof Wien, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Dear Vadym,
Thank you for writing down your impressions about your stay with us here in Vienna. I am glad to see that you had a good time with us. Hope to see you soon back at the Steigenberger
Yours Elisabeth Perwanger, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,318)

Reviewed January 30, 2013

The hotel has an ideal location:
- the U bahn station of Herrengasse is at 50 meters
- the Spanische Hofreitschule is at 100 meter
- the famous Café Central is at 100 meter
- ...

We had a deluxe room and it was really nice and spacious. Very beautiful style and probably the best hotel bed we ever had, really great! The bathroom was very practical and clean, including a separated toilet.

Two minor things (to be honest):
- even though the receptionist promised this, they did not call us as soon as the room was ready & the promise to refill the mini bar was forgotten (but the 2nd time we requested to do it, they came to do it immediately)
- the spa is very small: there were only 5 relaxing beds and we did not expect the sauna or hamam to be naked only

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I have styed three times, all for business meetings. Well placed plush hotel in centrre of Vienna. Rooms spacious and clean. Food very good, excellent choice for breakfast. Gym inadeqaute for size of hotel; 2 treadmills (one of which was broken) and 2 steppers only and gym too hot. No pool. Even lower floor room overlooking street are quiet. Not sure if good value for money as I was spared having to pay! Catered well for our business meetings with very pleasant snacks and lunch and good sized conference rooms.

Room Tip: My room on level 1 was good as it was just one staircase to the lobby and same level as function roo...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 21, 2013

A very nice luxury hotel in the center of Vienna, next to the metro station and in a walking distance from the city center.
The stuff was polite and helpful, the rooms were clean and spacious, there was free wifi, plus there were also rooms for smokers...
I definitely suggest it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Dec 29-Jan 2. Looking very forward to visit Vienna after Salzburg a couple of times. City did not disappoint but Steigenberger Hotel Herrenhof’s service absolutely disgusting for 5 starsl! Very well located, just off the central area. Researched extensively beforehand, I did see a few negative remarks about hotel service but the GM said that it won’t happen again and sounded like a once off - not true. 1) Upon arrival nobody to help with the luggage. The receptionist helped me but only because I was totally in her face – no warm welcome at all. Booked in very early because of early flight, but had no problem waiting for a room. 2) A bit of a misunderstanding as receptionist was offering me a choice of newspapers to read and I thought she meant I would get it in the mornings at my room, but 2 days later she denied saying anything about a newspaper at all – no leeway for a possible misunderstanding even. 3) When I came back later for my room the receptionist asked if I could help look for my luggage as they are very busy and I had to go looking through their back room crawling over other luggage trying to haul out my own. 4) Once in my room, I sat on the corner of my bed checking out my map when my bedroom door suddenly opened and closed immediately again. Then came a knock on the door and the man who replenish the mini bar apologized for opening the door without knocking first said he did not see the red card on the door (even though it was on the door at that very moment). I booked a double deluxe room and being a corner room the room had a little entrance and directly next to the door is a huge mirror which if you open the door gives you full view of the complete room and he must’ve seen me immediately on the bed. This exact thing happened to a previous visitor who complained and the GM said it won’t happen again. I went down to reception and told the receptionist what happened and said that I didn’t want to create any trouble for this man, but it was unacceptable and it should not happen again. The next time she saw me she said with a broad smile that he told her that the red card was not on the door at all implying I was in the wrong. There should be some security lock or latch on the doors as in any other hotel in any case to avoid this type of thing. By now the receptionists were all ignoring me and avoiding any eye contact and the doorman/bell boy was trying to point out a good review written in the guest book saying out loudly how people liked the hotel. VERY, very juvenile and totally unprofessional at best. 5) On the bedside table was a little notice mentioning different pillows available for guests and also a hot water bottle. I have a back problem and after walking a lot I called down 3 times to request this hot water bottle and even after the door man said that he would personally take care of my request, I am still waiting for this to happen. 6) For departure I requested a wakeup call and asked reception to order me a taxi for pick up at 5:30AM which I saw them write down as they did say that early time could be a problem with taxis. I double checked both requests a second time as by now I didn’t trust reception at all and even though I’ve now spoken to another person it was deliberately ignored/left undone as the next morning (after I luckily woke up via my mobile phone) there was no taxi ordered for me. The night shift guy (who is absolutely wonderfully friendly, helpful and totally professional) said he knew somebody and called a taxi for me. I actually leaned over the counter and checked their list for taxi requests and wakeup calls for that day and my room or name was not on this at all. The Steigenberger Hotel Herrenhof Austria either needs new staff or is in dire need of staff training or does this hotel just not care about having guests at all?? 7) ALSO, after 2 days, I asked to be moved to a higher floor as I had children running back and forth slamming doors in the middle of the night (parents room way down the floor) and I was told by the receptionist that they have families in the hotel to indicate that I should not expect any decent sleep. Later that day I was moved to another room (smaller room even though I have pre paid for a double deluxe room). 8). I've booked a SPA treatment, gone down at the correct time and had to go back down to reception after 15 minutes to find out what is happening with my treatment as nobody around at all. It just doesn't end with this hotel.

Room Tip: Just book into another hotel!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
8  Thank Ronell S

Dear Ronell,
if things go wrong, they really go wrong. What can I say other than apologize for all the disappointing moments you have experienced in our hotel. Please be ensured, that we do care and of course will do the utmost to make things like these not happen again. Most issues are caused by unprecise communication and attitude, maybe also through cultural and linguistic misunderstandings - I am really sorry and will take care to find solutions right away.
Kind regards
Elisabeth Perwanger

Reviewed January 15, 2013

I personally was very excited to go to Vienna and was looking forward to recreating Anthony Bourdain's trip to Vienna and we thought the Steigenberger was a very well located hotel from which to explore. And it was. It is just down the road from two famous coffee houses, it's just around the corner from the museums and palace, the most expensive shopping street is nearby if you are so inclined and everything is a short walk away; even the horse carriages park nearby (so it doesn't smell so good when you get a bit closer......). As i found out over my stay though, everywhere is walkable within central Vienna!

Anyway, onto the hotel. As we pulled up, I was quite impressed with the old facade of the hotel. It looked in pretty decent condition and i had quite high hopes. Anyway, as lugged our two huge suitcases from the taxi, i was immediately disappointed. Why wasn't there some form of concierge to assist clients with their bags? This is meant to be 5 star isn't it? As I carried both suitcases through the second glass door, a security guard or doorman saw me yet didn't offer to assist whatsoever!! There was no-one else coming through the entrance at the time so I was a little miffed by his inaction. Then came the receptionists. I don't know what it is (as I experienced the same on checking out) but they appear utterly oblivious to waiting customers. So as i was standing there, the ladies were attending to paperwork, finding paper clips or whatever it was they were doing instead of a simple 'I will be with you shortly'. It was an unpleasant check in experience overall.

On getting to the room, it was as expected. Small and superficial in design. The bed was nice but the rest of the decor was rather average and actually felt a little cheap. The bathroom was rather bland and non-descript so I won't elaborate further....... Whether that is intended or not, I do not know but the room did not wow us in any way. Furthermore, being on the first floor and facing the main road where the entrance sits was bad. The noise from the traffic (cars and horses) was rather annoying.

We didn't have breakfast so we couldn't comment but we did order some room service and the club sandwich was perfectly acceptable if a little expensive! Given the choice of food in and around the area, if breakfast isn't included, i wouldn't bother and go get yourself something from one of the nearby cafes; it should be a much more pleasant experience given the breakfast room is actually served in the bar, where people smoke and drink the night before.....

I tried to book a massage but couldn't as they appeared to only have one therapist. The sauna was nice enough although some people went in naked which wasn't particularly desirable for my wife. The steam room was lovely when it worked but sometimes, it just didn't function and i didn't have anyone to speak to in the spa area to tell them to make it work. That was their level of service in this place. The gym was quite pleasant, albeit in a windowless room, but the machines were clean and new so perfectly capable of a good work out.

Overall, i probably wouldn't recommend this hotel for service or facilities. However, if we got a quieter room, I think we could go back simply because the location is so good. Having said that, everything is within walking distance in the centre so take your pick. We went on New Year's Eve so everything was astronomical and the Steigenberger was, comparatively, reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Avoid any room facing the same road as the entrance. Taxis/ horses and people walk along there all...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HKFooey

Dear HKFooey,
Thank you for your detailed report on your stay with us. It is really helpful to identify where we have areas of improvement and training needs and we do the best we can, to constantly train our teammember and their skills and service attitude.
with regards to our Spa area, yes it is a limited area with one massage room - so on some hours of the day it might be recommendable to pre-book treatment. In winter the sauna is switched on all day, whereas we do activate the steam bath only from 16hrs onwards as the demand is so limited during daytime. Should guests like to use it earlier, we are happy arrange this on demand.
We do have some good news however. The hotel is a protected monument from the outside, so are the windows of all guest rooms. We have now arranged to get the permission to change to inner windows of all bedrooms and put modern, double glazed windows. So as per 1. March 2013 our guests will definitely have improved comfort and less noice from the horse carriages and cars when staying in rooms facing the front side.
Kind regards and I do hope you will give us another chance to show our service skills.
Elisabeth Perwanger

Reviewed January 8, 2013

we loved this hotel.
perfect location. at the heart of the city but still quiet.
pretty cool design. modern but still fits to the city's atmosphere.
check in is smooth and easy.
rooms are big enough. well decorated and you have everything you need.
spa is absolutely relaxing.
so, what else to say?