“Gerstner Cafe”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Inner City
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Located in the pedestrian shopping district of Vienna. We dropped in on a cold day in Novemeber.We were immediately seated with no fanfare. The service was efficientband courteous. The apple strudel was tasty, but nothing special. The cappuccinos were delicious and hot;they hit the spot. A good place to drop in on a cold winter's day.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

The place is comfortably located in Kaertner Strasse, a walking shopping street going from the Wiener Opera to St.Stephan's Dom. The cafe is rather small. It is famous for its chocolates, Torte and macaroons. A good idea to have a cup of coffee with something rather small and delicious if you keep a diet and enjoy the atmosphere of the place. In the cafe you can see the portraits of the founder and his wife. The cafe was among the Purveyors to their Majesties. Feel the highest standard posssible!

1  Thank Lilia R
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Despite being on the main shopping street of Vienna, Gerstner's cakes are seriously high quality. Prices are reasonable, atmosphere is fine, and the cakes really are exceptional. Definitely worth a visit.

2  Thank JamesJames1014
Reviewed November 8, 2012

When I wrote my review regarding Heiner, I said that my No 1 konditorei in Vienna was Gerstner. I still think this way as Heiner is a different experience.

I do like cakes, as much as in my childhood when I woke up in the middle of the night to watch my grandmother, a fantastic chef, cooking some incredible cake. And I do love Vienna, for more than cakes, but speaking about cakes it is easy for a guy like me to praise Gerstner - a truly, royal konditorei in Vienna.

The place is not far from Heiner ( and quite near is also Oberlaa), small and cosy. You could also find Gerstner in various places, at Opera or Musikverein as they handle the catering service - it is a smart move, Vienna, cakes, coffee and music....

Regarding torten offer, is rather short, which could be strange for Vienna but for me, this means focuss and more quality. Of course you could have Sacher, but this is for tourists - this cake has a better story than taste:). Don't waste money and space with it...

Try Linzertorte (incredible good) or Nusstorte (my wife's favorite in Vienna) or Obstorte...or Housetorte...And don't forget the tea, one of the best in town.

Have a fantastic time and enjoy life with a truly royal cake! As for me, last time when I was there, I behaved myself rather medievally as I had almost three different slices....:).

4  Thank Florin B
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Its located in the pedestrian area of the prime shopping arou d st Stephens cathedral. It was packed and waves of people kept coming and going and buying pastry 's and or stopping for a quick coffee or espresso or hot chocolate . We did just that , got a table and enjoyed the warmth and watched the people come n go. The service was quick and efficient and it was yummy. Helped warm our body and comfort our soul. Yummy cakes n strudels always do.

1  Thank pitunaina