“High end, yes; but deservedly so”
Review of Das Schick

Das Schick
Ranked #287 of 4,161 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Austrian, European, Central European, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Inner City
Description: Cosmopolitan cuisine in Vienna: indulge in treats of the Austrian and Spanish cuisine at the restaurant, high above the rooftops. 'Das Schick', your restaurant in Vienna (former restaurant "Himmelsstube"), combines Austrian tradition and spirited Spanish flair. Experience a unique, appealing atmosphere, delicious cuisine in Vienna, and a new head chef and menu that will enchant you.
Middlebury, Vermont
“High end, yes; but deservedly so”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Our best meal in Vienna was at Das Schick. Add to that the best views and the best staff, and you get the picture. Located on the 12th floor of the Am Parkring Hotel, this is a dining experience not to be missed. Even the physical space defers to the views while remaining understated and elegant.

Visited April 2013
linda_labschuetz, Internet Guest Relation Manager at Das Schick, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Legnan0,

Thank you for visiting our Restaurant „Das Schick“ during your stay in Vienna.

Your entire review is a great praise what really delighted us.

We thank you for recommending us and remain,

with best regards from Vienna

• Czech first
Bilbao, Spain
“Good food and spectacular views over Vienna”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I was given a recommendation from the hotel to have a business lunch there, which I enjoyed very much. Food was excellent, the cook even gave me a recipe of a fish aspic to prepare at home.
Well, the wine-list is somewhat short, however I was surprised by being offered an Austrian (!!!) single malt whisky.
The view over Vienna is just spectacular, but somewhat spoilt by the hopeless architecture of the nearby Marriott hotel. The only solution would be to sell it for aluminium scrap...
Definitely I will come back once for a dinner with my wife.

• Visited August 2012
Houston, Texas
“Great Breakfast!”
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Great selections of Food. Good Service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great Food!!!!!!!!!!!!

Visited June 2012
, Internet Guest Relation Manager at Das Schick, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Dear osp4!

Thank you for taking the time to also evaluate our Restaurant Das Schick.

We are happy to read that you were very satisfied with the selection and variety offered on our breakfast buffet and thank you for your compliments.

Looking forward to your next visit, we remain,

with kind regards

Linda Labschütz / Internet Guest Relation Manager
Schick Hotels – Over a Century of Viennese charm
London
“Average food, a tad expensive”
Reviewed November 6, 2011

As a vegetarian, the menu did not yield a suitable choice, a waitress suggested they make me a vegetable paella which was pleasant but a little tasteless, I had some bread and water, but nothing else, the bill came to around 20-30 euro.

Visited November 2011
Istra, Russia
“Not recommended to families with children - horrible experience”
Reviewed June 11, 2011

While spending our family vacation in Vienna this May (2011), I made reservation to Das Schick restaurant (for two + child), which I thought would be a nice place for an early quiet family dinner with my husband and my little girl (almost 3 years old) in front of beautiful view of Vienna roofs
As I requested, a table next to a window was waiting for us. The atmosphere in the restaurant seemed to be very pleasant and promising. Of cause, I could not expect any romance with a three year toddler. However I did not realize how children unfriendly this restaurant could be.
While we waited for our ordered courses, by daughter burned her inner side of the arm against oil candle which was placed on our table. It happened so fast that at the beginning I even did not understand what happened. My daughter screamed from agony pain and started to cry. I caught her in my arms and ran to the bathroom, in order to cool the burn against cold running water. After a while, a waitress approached to us with a bowl of ice cubes and towel. However, my child did not agree to put ice on her hand
We retuned to our table and our meals were served. However, by daughter could not calm down even a bit, she did not want to eat the soup we ordered for her and just wanted to leave. You can imagine how painful and discomforting a burn can be. My husband quickly finished his meal and took my daughter outside. I also finished mine and asked from a waitress to bring me the bill and also to check if it's possible to pack the untouched soup for a "take a way" in case my daughter will agree to eat it later. From this point on I had a "Lost in translation" experience:

A head waiter approached to me, I repeated my request and he assumed that I am asking to take away the soup from the bill. So he sad to me "But you have to pay". I was a little bit surprised, and answered "Of course!" Then I realized, that my request was misunderstood, so I made sure, that that it will be clear on the third time. However, I was refused, because the restaurant is not equipped to provide such services. Which is may be fact, but not helping at all in such exceptional situation. I really expected to see some form of cooperation from the restaurant staff. No one even approached to us to ask how my daughter was. And I am also sure, the there should be first aid kit in the kitchen with something for burns treatment which could ease the pain and avoid infection, however, no such help was suggested to us at all.

Also we did not receive the bill as requested (also "Lost in translation" experience), after waiting for a while, we had to request again from the head waiter, paid and finally left.

So now, about week later, there is still a sharp red circular mark on my daughter's hand and every time I look at it, I remember this horrible experience we had in Das Schick restaurant.

Romantic – maybe, Food and Wine – maybe good but my opinion is biased by the overall experience therefore, I will abstain from expressing it. Children and Family unfriendly – for sure! My suggestion is - keep oil candles from tables reserved for families with children and try to be more understanding..

Visited May 2011
linda_labschuetz, Internet Guest Relation Manager at Das Schick, responded to this review, June 28, 2011
Dear Masha 63!

Thank you for posting us your comments. With pleasure we take the opportunity offered by TripAdvisor to answer you.

First of all, we hope that your daughter is well and the described mark on the hand is healed and already disappeared.

I regret the accident of your daughter and can really empathize with you and understand how uncomfortable this must have been for your family.

However, I spoke with the waiter on duty and he assured me that: the requested table on the window was available as reserved and after serving the first dishes, they have offered your daughter paper and pens, which she gladly accepted.

As you wrote right after she burned her hand against the oil candle, she immediately was brought to the bathroom and our waitress approached you with a bowl of ice cubes and towels, which she refused.
The burning itself: is really been a mishap and unfortunately this can also happen with a normal candle or other decorative subjects in any other restaurant.

I regret that our staff has not thought about offering you an anti-inflammatory ointment, which of course would have been available in our first aid box. Thank you for this important note.

Regarding the soup: the waiter has properly informed you that we had no way to pack a soup to take away, but he would with pleasure deliver it to your room. This was unfortunately not possible, because you were not guests of the hotel!

Please do accept our excuses for the misunderstanding with the bill, for which you had to wait and ask twice.

Be assured that our guests are really important to us and we would have preferred you and your family to spend an enjoyable evening with us. We are truly sorry about the happened accident of your daughter and this made us for sure more aware of such exceptions.

With best regards