“So happy I went”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Neubau
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Having worked in restaurants and bars throughout my life, I could see beyond the negative review below knowing that sometimes despite best intentions and quality of staff, things don't go as you would expect. I went ahead and booked a table at this charming wood panelled pub, for it is a pub and not a restaurant, I hope that others do too because Wratschko is a must visit when in Vienna. Travelling alone for the first time in Austria I wanted an unique relaxed place to sample the local cuisine, I really had a hard time making a decision from the handwritten menus but decided on the soup and the boiled beef. Everything sounded so promising but I went for the classic dishes. The food was fantastic although I was so full I couldn't indulge in the much lauded Desserts on offer ( I blame my earlier visit to Demel), the wine too, the Zweigelt offered was delicious. Service was relaxed enough not to be imposing or rushed but in no way lax although I'll be honest, it wasn't an incredibly busy night. All in all I would 100% recommend Wratschko, slow down, don't be in a rush, just enjoy.

1  Thank pookadana

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Its a funky cool restaurant a little hidden from most tourist foot traffic. Its basically an unrenovated space made up of a string of smallish rooms stretching back from the street, with peeling wallpaper and weathered wooden walls. We got there at about 815 pm and were shown to a room all the way at the back that was a non smoking room. The restaurant was not crowded with a couple of tables in each of the rooms occupied. The waitress was pleasant and brought us copies of the handwritten menus. She took our drink order, and a few minutes later our food order. Drinks arrived, with the wine in a thimble size glass, and nothing else happened. After about 40 minutes of neglect I went to the front to see if we might order another round of drinks. No problem. It arrived followed by the starters. The salads were good but a little drenched in dressing. Then the wait started again. Another 45 minutes later I ventured out of our cave to see if the food had perhaps run out. I was assured that everything would be ready shortly but that since it was cooked from fresh ingredients it took a while ( now an hour and a half). about ten minutes later it arrived. It was good, fresh and tasty but certainly not worth the wait. I clearly had pissed someone off by asking about it because it was plonked down in front of us and the waitress didnt bother asking about a refill on the drinks even though our glasses were empty. The people at the next table were laughing with us because they too had just waited an hour for their entrees. We finished our food again waited a few minutes to see if perhaps someone might check in with us. No such luck, so we walked out to the front to pay the tab and leave. The bartender/owner/manager and the waitress were hanging out having a cigarette and when we asked for the tab he scribbled a bunch of numbers on a scrap of paper, added it in his head and pronounced an amount. I was so glad to get out of there that I paid it without question and headed out, never to repeat. if I can save anyone from this miserable fate I consider my life on earth well lived

4  Thank Zarilla
Gastwirtschaft, Owner at Wratschko Gastwirtschaft, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Dear guest,

I, Clemens Wratschko, waitress Anna and waiter Michael apologize very much
for the bad experience you and your company had in our pub.

My main business is during the winter months, so I intentionally work with
fewer employees in summer. The day you came, we had unexpectedly many
patrons. Within one hour I got the orders for 13 tables and 44 dishes. I
was working in the kitchen alone.

As my waiter told you, I cook with fresh ingredients, further I don`t use
any microwaves, deep fryers or grill. Everything is prepared in pans and
on / in the oven. I neither use any kind of conveniences food, instant
soup – and sauces nor frozen foods. Usually I can prepare the dishes
in acceptable times. When the preparation times stretch too long, the
waiters usually inform the incoming new guests. Unfortunately this was not
the case with you.

Wratschko is not a restaurant; it is a pub, as we say in Vienna: “Beisl,
Wirtshaus”. Food is simple, Viennese tradition, waiters have to serve many
guests, and therefore the prices are lower. I believe, you expected a more
distinguished ambient.

It is correct that we do not use computers; tabs are written on papers and
calculated manually. That is legal and has been practised for decades. If,
as you suggested that we were dishonest, rest assured my pub would not
have existed so many years.

Best regards
Clemens Wratschko.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

After plenty of meals and stays with dour and uninterested serving staff, it was a relief to get great service from the friendly waitress in this establishment. Menu was not up to date, but she walked us through and we had a great meal. The meatballs were really nice and would be fantastic for a winter visit.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

My wife and I found this place using the trip advisor app and were instantly charmed. The weathered but still lovely wooden walls and wraparound bar tell a thousand stories of delicious Austrian meals consumed, provided the comfort of ample local beer and wine as a compliment.
We ate an appetizer of sweetbreads with boletes, an entree of soft beef sitting in a roux and garnished with with fried potato strings, and then experimented with nuggets of lightly fried beef brain. A beautiful salad with a tart, white vingar based dressing also came with the meal, consisting of strongly flavored cucumber, tomatoes, and green bell pepper. The dressing reminded us of Sunomono.
As tourists, everything we ate was unique to us, but what was obvious was quality. Especially obvious were quality of ingredients and preparation. We ate over the course of almost two hours, and took our time to enjoy the ambience of terrific food, a lively young waitress, and excellent jazz selections playing in the background.
Of course to complete the experience, we were forced to drink a few small steins of the delicious draught beer they had on tap, and my wife quickly drained a glass of something red and trocken with her dinner.
I highly recommend this place. When we left, the waitress told us Anthony Bourdain had eaten there two years previous. I'm not surprised.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Being a Bourdain fan, I decided to "Bourdain" myself in Austria this week. This place happened to be about a 10 minute walk from my office. Atmosphere was as described. I was actually the first one there and took as seat way in the back (I hate smoking!). The hostess\waitress was absolutely charming, friendly and very warm. I loved her. The menus are hand-written. The English one is out of date, but she ran through what dishes they had and the specials. So accommodating and nice. I had the beef soup (delicious!) and I made her pick a dish for me, since I was so hungry and would never be able to make a choice. Plus, I wanted a true Austrian dining experience and didn't want to be too American and get the meatballs. :) Her choice was boiled beef. As expected, a fantastic Austrian dish. I really enjoyed it (along with the glass of native beer). By the time we left, the place had filled up nicely, most people in the front smoking (bleh). I would absolutely go back again to try the other dishes.

Oh, and prices were very reasonable, too.

You can see why it's not such a tourist destination, but who wants touristy anyway? When I go to a new country, I like to experience true authenticity and culture.

1  Thank D C