“Good value for money” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Happy Hostel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Happy Hostel
Ranked #120 of 202 Specialty Lodging in Vienna
Warsaw, Poland
“Good value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

We were there for 3 days at the end of December. Had a private double with shared bathroom. We got a room in a small appartment of two locked rooms, a bathroom and a small kitchen corner. We were lucky cause there was noone else in the second room, so it was quiet. The room was clean and warm, a bit small but hey, it's a hostel. We got linen and towels. Bathroom was fine - there was an issue with hot water once but they fixed it quickly. We did not use the kitchen but it looked ok.

What we liked most is the location which is really close to the Westbanhof and it takes 15 mins to get to the centre by metro. But the small street is hard to find, so take a good look on the map.

What we did not like: when we got lost and I called the hostel, they guy at the reception spoke very poor English and was not able to help us. Which was just a small inconvenience but to add up to this - when we showed up he made me feel it was only my fault that I don't speak German and he couldn't communicate with me. When he learnt I was Polish, he kept comementing on how Austria is not like an Eastern poor country - I kept ignoring him but I guess he needed very much to show me I'm from a worse part of the world. Except for this guy, other people in the hostel were super nice.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

This is budget hotel/hostel so adjust your expectations accordingly or you will be disappointed; I paid 35 euros for single room with shared bathroom. Lay out is unusual in that it is rooms in apartment layout being rented; rooms without dedicated bathroom will share kitchen and bathroom with two or three other rooms. I stayed five nights. Pension Kraml is cheaper [35 euros for single room including all you can eat buffet breakfast] and nicer but location is not so convenient. so Happy Hostel is my second choice but for the location and value, I would gladly stay here again.

PROS
1. Excellent location, within 5 minute walk from WestBahnhof railway and subway station; you can get bus to airport for 8 euro one way or 13 euro round trip, running about 3 times per hours [cash only; no credit cards for airport bus]. McDonalds, Subway and many other fast food and full service restaurants at West Bahnhof and surrounding area
2. Accepts credit card
3. Run by Franz and two African American origin ladies; they try to please guests within reason
4. Free access to kitchen with microwave, stove, fridge, freezer and oven. Kitchen has full cutlery, cups, plates and utensils. You can buy groceries from Billa or Hofer other grocery store on Mariahilder strasse, only five minute walk. Great value at Billa; 400g frozen vegetarian lasagna for two euros; you cannot beat that value and tasted great. Buying food at grocery store can save lots of money compared to eating out.
5. Breakfast is five euros if you reserve ahead [or 4 euros if you buy directly from front desk, a sign at reception said that ??]; I had breakfast one day only and it was substantial with bread, egg, jam, cheese, tea, meat
6. I stayed in room 14a on floor above ground floor and was spacious enough for budget room.
7. Old CRT TV but cable enable with many channels; English channels were BBC and CNN; most channels in german
8. Area seemed safe; I did not have any misadventures
9. Awesomely fast, free wifi

CONS
1. My room was very cold. Heater had been turned off but even when turned on, it was always very cold inside the room; corridor outside was always warmer.
2. Soap is not provided nor are clean towels provided daily unless you ask for it.
3. Shower hose in shared bathroom had leak and sprayed water everywhere

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank PULAOKHAO
Duluth, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

Yes, great location.
No, It is not a happy hostel, it is a worst hostel in Vienna, creeper works at the hotel, chases people in the hotel, spiders and spiders web everywhere, loud and noisy, full of drunk people, table full of dirts, blood on radiotors,
please, please, avoid this place as it is very unsafe, very noisy, very unprofessional staff.

women that cleans changed towels with the one that you use to put on the floor, How can I use that for my face?? it is very dramatic, they can have a reality show about it.

be aware you will get allergies, mold, and mildew in your.

oh, and Internet is so bad!! very bad!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Curly E
Dublin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

It was alright for what we paid, a bit grubby. We stayed in a two person apartment. It was very spacious but a bit musty, could definitely do with a revamp. Also the toilet was in a separate room to the shower/sink which was unusual. The shower head fell numerous times and is quite heavy, was lucky not to get hurt! No air-con but it wasn't too hot when we were there. The location was okay - it was a little far out from the centre but near a metro stop and westbanhof. To be honest I probably wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RachelEllen89
Teddington, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

Considering our twin room cost over 40 euro a night in total (the price of a cheap hotel), we were left disappointed. The hostel is not happy; there is no real communal area to meet people and the staff are helpful enough but seem to go through the motions of reading out places to visit and what time checkout is with no personality or warmth, which left us feeling a little uncomfortable. There was one shower and one toilet between us and another room; I saw the same mess/hairs in the shower from the Sunday morning we arrived until the Tuesday we left, so the bathrooms aren't cleaned daily. Also the shower holder was broken and at one point the heavy shower head fell off and hit me on the head! The room had a tv (poor reception) and the beds were comfortable enough, though it's true that the pillows were flat (I folded mine in half) and something sticky had been spilt and not cleaned all over my bedframe so I couldn't sit down on the bed or the backs of my legs got sticky! Also I had read somewhere that the room would have bunkbeds, air-con and a basin - none of these were there. Our room was right next to the street so we were kept awake by traffic noise and the sound of people dragging suitcases back and forth outside our window, which we needed to keep open as again there was no air-con. All in all very disappointing for the price; I have stayed in hostels half this price that were twice as good!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank sazmeister88
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

This place could have easily been rated 3/5 from me if it weren't for the little things that affected our stay here.
When we arrived at the hostel we were greeted kindly by the woman at the desk, who told us how yo get to the rooms etc. One thing we did notice was a lack of communal area in the hostel which is great if you don't want one, but as we wanted to meet other travellers this is always a downside to a stay.
The apartment we stayed in was spacious and and had a kitchen, toilet and shower room, this area would be shared by a maximum of 8 people in two 4 men rooms, which is fine.
A problem we did have however was that the boiler broke down which meant that water was cold, although they did have a shower downstairs we could use, the kitchen sink would still only five us cold water.
The things in the room are old and slightly outdated.
The location isn't great, and it is a quite a walk to the centre of the city, however the hostel is really close to Westbahnhof which is a bonus.
Overall the hostel isn't a great place to meet people, with no community feel. They could easily improve the rooms though and if this was done it would be a nice budget place to stay in if one wanted peace and quiet.

• Stayed August 2013
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Rather than having huge dormitories, this hostel has more of an apartment format with a private kitchen and bathroom between two rooms. This is excellent if you are looking for more privacy although not so good for socialising. The hostel is cheap, very close to the Westbahnhof and between the city centre and Schonbrunn palace. The rooms are basic and our shower was a bit grubby but it was exactly what was required for our 3 night stay in Vienna.

• Stayed July 2013