“Unexpected surprise!”

Happy Hostel
Ranked #135 of 205 Specialty Lodging in Vienna
“Unexpected surprise!”
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Very friendly and helpful staff who made us feel most welcome and were very helpful. Huge room with longe dinging kitchen and large bathroom was surprising and very clean. Almost didn't want to leave! I suggest anyone who stays here however not to visit the cafe west end near westbahnorf station. Big tourist trap. Cannot fault this hostel though! Wish I had longer there

• Stayed October 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2011

I stayed with my partner at Happy Hostel for a couple of nights as part of a trip across Europe and found it adequate for my money. We stayed in a double room with shared bathroom which I was a bit dubious at first but needn't have been as we were only sharing with the occupants of one other room and also had a separate toilet and use of a fully-equipped shared kitchen. When I first saw our room I have to confess that I was a little disappointed as the decor was very outdated but it was comfortable enough for a brief stopover and its location 5 minutes from Westbahnhof was ideal for exploring Vienna and meeting with our connecting train to Munich. Staff were friendly and helpful and internet was free on two computers in the foyer so not much to moan about for what we paid.

Overall I'd say perfectly adequate if you just want a cheap bed for a couple of nights but you can probably find better in the city.

Room Tip: If it helps, we were in room 14b. As with many hostels there isn't a lift so I'd request 1st...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed August 23, 2011

My cousin and I were on a budget and after much deliberation on review websites, we chose to go with the happy hostel. Clear instructions were provided by staff from the drop-off point by the coach to the hostel itself. We were lucky to have had the apartment-like place to ourselves for the first night and the second we had to share a living space and kitchen with a couple by they were nice. We had a kitchen- complete with cutlery, plates, saucepans and all the usual appliances- freezer, toaster, dishwasher etc, a living space with quiet a few channels. A dining table and of course, our room. Rooms were clean and the bathroom huge.
It was around five euros pppd for a breakfast buffet of assorted meats, cheeses, fresh fruit, breads, yoghurts, cereal and fruit juice. The dining area was across the road with small tables and always staff around to answer any questions. I would highly recommend choosing this option if, like us, you were only there for a short time and had a set amount of time to cram all the sights into a few days- its all you can eat and sets you up for the day and we were welcome to take a piece of fruit or two for our lunch.
There is internet access and telephones as well as washing machines in the hostel but there is a fee although its not too much however can't comment too much since I personally didn't use these facilities.
The location is perfection. The happy hostel struck gold. In the area- ask for directions if you can't find it- there is a supermarket that is reasonably cheap that we got our food from, theres something for everyone, fresh fruit and veg, pasta sauces, a huge pasta aisle, a meat counter etc. Just a few hundred yards away is the U-bahn which we used often to get to our tourist attractions and was reasonably cheap. On the main road turning right, is like a strip of shops that you can get to most places by going down. The Happy Hostel gave us some good maps and showed us routes to go down if we ever got lost and this particular street is clearly shown on this map so you'll never be lost and that comes from a georgraphy-phobe.
All in all, really lovely staff and a wonderful location, if I ever go back to Vienna, I will certainly be staying here again since its such good value for what you get and cannot fault the service. Many thanks.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Jo2217
Kosice, Slovakia
Reviewed June 30, 2011

Last summer I spent few nights in Happy Hostel in Vienna. Well, there were items I was not satisfied. After my last year review I received an email from Happy Hostel, where they apologised to me and offered me better service in the future. In that time I hardly supposed that I will come to Vienna soon. Unexpectedly I had to come to Vienna again and Happy Hostel fulfiled what they have promised. Not only I had accommodation in big, clean and comfortable appartement for three persons, but also they offered me a special discount. So my 2011 review for Happy Hostel: Very good location, really quiet place, free internet access. Big, comfortable, clean appartement, bathroom big enough, kitchen well equipped. Tell the truth, this time there was nothing to criticise. I can only recommend. Really valuable for the money (even without discount). Special value for me – Happy Hostel really appreciates its customers and tries to fill up your expectations and make you really happy during your visit of Vienna.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed June 30, 2011

Very nice hostel with a good location and helpful staff.

Room Tip: The rooms are all nice and very spacious.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2011

I really enjoyed my stay here, the room was pleasent, clean and even included a tv. The staff where also very helpful even supplying me with maps for cites I that i was visiting in the coming weeks. The location is a small way out of town but very good transport into the city centre.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed June 1, 2011

An amazing hostel total worth the price...spacious room close to the metro & tram stop def worth the stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends