“Second time to stay here.”
Review of Happy Hostel

and 1 more site!
Happy Hostel
Ranked #139 of 214 Specialty Lodging in Vienna
Reviewed June 30, 2011

Very nice hostel with a good location and helpful staff.

Room Tip: The rooms are all nice and very spacious.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Happy Hostel

Reviewed June 28, 2011

I really enjoyed my stay here, the room was pleasent, clean and even included a tv. The staff where also very helpful even supplying me with maps for cites I that i was visiting in the coming weeks. The location is a small way out of town but very good transport into the city centre.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2011

An amazing hostel total worth the price...spacious room close to the metro & tram stop def worth the stay.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 29, 2010

Stayed here for the second time after a 6 year break. We had our own apartment with all facilities. The hostel is located in a quiet area, close to trains, trams, supermarkets and shopping and we could walk into the city of Vienna in 20 minutes walking along one of the main shopping streets. Franz again was our host and made our stay again a great experience. The apartment was spotlessly clean and has undergone some renovations since our last stay. We stayed in apartment 7 which I think is the biggest of the 3 flats. There are other rooms available for younger travellers, but for us, being in the over 60 bracket, having our own flat was fantastic. The rates are fantastic for the location. Thanks again to the great Franz and team at the Happy Hostel. [Eastwoods from Australia]

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank peggylou
Reviewed August 21, 2010

I have spent 5 nights in Happy Hostel in Vienna, we had „ double bed private ensuite“ - own kitchen and own bathroom+WC“. Very good location, really quiet place, free internet access. :) Really small bathroom, narrow double bed, old furniture... :( Well, I did not expect luxury for this price in Vienna, but what I always ecxpect is cleanliness. It was not very good – webs in the corners, sticky bottom of the desk in the kitchen, dirty plates and cuttleries (I do not care that previous guests did not wash the dishes, because I paid my money to the hostel, not to previous guests...), blemishes in the shower corner... even used dirty sponge for dishwashing :( :( :(. I can not imagine how the household of cleaning staff looks like, if they consider this as clean!!! Also I was not satisfied with kitchen equipment (we paid for own kitchen) – just one spoon (we were 2), just one small pot (hard to make a soup and anything else in one time..), no sharp knife, electric cooker was not able to get water into the boil (!!!!), so we had to make boil water and to make pasta in its oven... Unbelievable... :( :( Hard to say if I recommend this accomodation because I don´t know to compare it with another one in Vienna. But for this price I had beautiful, comfortable and clean accommodation in Bavarian Alps and also in Slovak Tatry (without kitchen but with rich breakfast).

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank mimalina
Reviewed August 1, 2010

This hostel is good value for money - 3 friends and I were booked to stay in a 6-bed mixed dorm but in fact got a 4-bed room, which shared a private apartment with a similar room. The apartment was spacious, with a a kitchen (which was not very well equipped, bring your own cutlery/bowls - there may not be enough), a dining area, TV, a toilet and bathroom. Internet is also provided free at reception.
However, the apartment gets too hot!!! in summer. We were provided with a fan in our room but this did nothing to stem the flow of hot air through the whole apartment.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 1, 2010

We rented an apartment for three nights at the Happy Hostel. It was not very good in comparison to other hostels I've been to.

Happy Hostel is located near the Westbarnhof (train station) and is about a half hour walk to the city center. It's close to Vienna's main shopping street. There are several nearby subway stops, which were easy to use and efficient.

The apartment itself was very big, with a kitchen, separate toilet and bathroom, sitting room and bedroom. The main disappointment was that the apartment was not very clean. The toilet had a stale urine smell and the apartment in general smelled musty. We cleaned kitchen utensils both before and after use because they didn't seem clean.

That being said, it was handy having a kitchen to be able to prepare breakfasts and dinners (supermarkets are within walking distance). There was a big fridge/freezer, toaster, kettle, and stove (the oven did not work). The kitchen was not well equipped, e.g. no chopping board or sharp knives, but you could make do with what was there.

The staff at the front desk are helpful and there is free internet both in the lobby and wi-fi in the rooms.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple