“I gave them a second chance.......”

Unkai Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #691 of 4,231 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Neighborhood: Inner City
Description: The Japanese Restaurant Unkai is a special example of exquisite service and fascinating delicacies of the Japanese kitchen. Dishes like Sushi and Sashimi are prepared on the highest level, the Teppanyaki grill being the most popular way of preparation. Two original Japanese Tatami rooms as well as two European dining rooms are available for private dining. Special highlight is the exclusive Sushi-Brunch, offered on weekends and public holidays. On Thursdays, one can enjoy the after work sushi buffet. Various Bento-boxes and Sushi-Sets are also available for take-away.
Budapest, Hungary
“I gave them a second chance.......”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

The service the atmosphere was great, but nothing else. The food… I was not impressed about it at all. The food was maximum OK, but far from excellent. Actually their main dish (Eel) was even bad. But as everyone can have a bad day I gave them a second chance so I made a second try. As one evening we were nearby with my wife I decided to go there for dinner. I must say it was not better. The food was avarage to terrible, everything was just too awful. And seeing the quality of the meals the prices are just too high. I think it does not worth the price. It does not worth it going there at all. There are much better restaurants in Vienna.
Usually I can rely on the feedbacks given by other Tripadvisor members, but this time I do not understand the excellent reviewers. NOT recommended!!
+The invoice listed more with 13 Euro...:(

• Visited March 2013
4 Thank PatricSA

• Greek first
  • Hungarian first
London
“Couldn't finish my food”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed at the grand hotel so thought we would try it as we have liked Japanese restaurants back home in UK. This was another story. Staff not all that helpful but the food was not to our taste. Poor poor choices for vegetarians and even she the food came even the veg tempura tasted fishy. My Saba d who usually enjoys sushi couldn't finish his food, we left ASAP and grabbed a falafel from the stall outside because we were still so hungry. I wouldn't recommend if you have a weak stomach food looks unappealing and is bland and tasteless. Not at all like popular sushi/japanese places in London so if that's what you are expecting -you will be disappointed.

Visited March 2013
5 Thank Rosh7
London, United Kingdom
“Fresh fish - I don't think so”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I went with a friend for some quick sushi the other evening. The service was quite prompt but the dishes were very small and meagre , especially for the price. The salmon and tuna were fresh I think but the other fish was definitely frozen - it had that wet flabby feel and was tasteless. To add insult to injury I was refused any tap water. They said they couldnt provide it and i would have to buy bottled water. I think the water here in Vienna is great to drink and do not understand why they would not serve it. The menu struck me as being limited.The atmosphere was very bland and slightly cold and i would certainly not go there again.

• Visited September 2012
3 Thank philippa w
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Good but too expensive”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Unkai is an expensive Japanese restaurant in the Grand Hotel. The food is decent but definitely not the best Japanese food in Vienna. The ambience is fairly luxuriant and the service is good. The service is let down a bit by the limited number of Japanese speakers. Unkai is not as good as it used to be and does not feel as special as the price suggests it should be.

The food menus are fairly comprehensive with a large range of Japanese options. The vegetarian options exist but unlike most Japanese restaurants in the city there is no vegetarian set menu. The quality of the food is good, not great. Mostly it is decent enough with fried foods like tempura being appropriately light and soft food such as noodles not being too hard. Still, the Makis are not of the same standard as in the best of Vienna's sushi restaurants and so it is hard to rate Unkai above them.

The setting on the top floor of the Grand Hotel is a good one. The hotel itself is extremely lavishly decorated. Unkai is decent though not as beautiful as the hotel lobby. The private rooms at the back are nicer.

The service is appropriate for an expensive restaurant. While the staff do not generally speak Japanese, they do have a polite manner and deal with abrupt requests very well.

The price is high. Better Japanese food is available at lower price in Vienna. The purpose of Unkai is to be seen in the appropriate places and the kudos means that it still popular with the Japanese residents and visitors. However, it just isn't tasty enough to make the price worthwhile.

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank Malarchy
Barcelona, Spain
“Nothing special”
Reviewed June 20, 2012 via mobile

We had two business menus. The tuna wasnt very fresh and the rest was medium at best. The price was high and really not worth it.