“Authentic”

Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old University Quarter
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Great Greek fare nearly as good as mama makes! A real authentic eating experience outside of Greece. Friendly and attentive service and terrific ambience.

There are newer reviews for Achilleus

Reviewed May 1, 2014

The food is salty, no taste at all, no flavour except of overfried oil. The worst food I had in Vienna. There is nothing greek, except for names and wines. Horrible beer. They shamelessly ask for tip although they charge 1.5 euros per person for " the cover". The worst choice we made while staying in Vienna.

1  Thank Touristma
Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

Our fault too as we arrived fairly late in the evening. Service ok but we were more or less the only people there. But the food was uninspiring. Some fair, some appalling. Over cooked and not tasty at all. A bad reflection on Greek cooking.

1  Thank gummington
Reviewed April 25, 2014

My husband is Greek, and I lived there for 15 years, and we loved this restaurant! I am really surprised by the negative comments below. I can only guess that they were looking for a stereotypical cheaper mid-category Greek restaurant (ie American Greek restaurant style with souvlaki on a stick served with rice and potatoes), and Achilleus should not be compared to that band of dining.

In fact, since we can not find good Greek food where we currently live, we ate at Achilleus three times during our trip to Vienna, including celebrating Greek Easter. The owner, chef and staff are all Greek, which adds to the authenticity of the restaurant, and they are very warm and friendly.

We highly recommend the lamb chops, grilled octopus and sole - all which are brought from Greece. The kotsi melted off the bone and my daughters loved the giouvetsi. They have a white wine which is one of the best Greek wines in our well-researched opinion, Alpha Estates Axia. So good! You MUST save room to try the galaktobouriko and the karidopita... both of which rival any restaurants in Greece.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

I was there with some friends(we were 3 in total), had a greek coffee at first(average), then ordered a drink and a portion o gyros(typical greek way to share food with friends). We had to pay 40€, which included the waiter's tip, for 3 coffees, 4 drinks and a rather small portion of gyros. Bread was also charged without us being informed. FYI: waiter was rude and we didn't want to give him a tip... I guess he demanded it.
Definitely a tourist trap, wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Important: I'm a Greek living in Vienna. However I would never go there again, not even to support my own people. Pity their attitude is so unprofessional

1  Thank fotis9990