“Good value traditional style hotel in walking distance of central Vienna”

Hotel-Pension Baronesse
Ranked #206 of 361 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We wanted a low cost comfortable hotel not too far from the centre of Vienna and Pension Baronesse was perfect. The room was very homely and furnished in a traditional style and the bed really comfy.
The shower and bathroom clean and functional and very peaceful room to ensure a good night's sleep after a busy day sightseeing.
We visited in January and the room temperature just right. Once we got our bearings, found the location ideal - about 15 - 20 minutes walk to the centre.
Reception staff very helpful and friendly at all times day and night - and the lift was amazing.
Not being a morning person - I missed out on breakfast but my other half took breakfast on both mornings and said it was really good value. (He likes a good breakfast!)
Can't think of anything negative - for the price it was very good value and a great introduction to my first trip to Vienna. A cosy and friendly place to return to after seeing the sights!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank atrist
There are newer reviews for Hotel-Pension Baronesse

Reviewed December 28, 2012

If you are visiting Vienna just to stay in your room maybe this hotel is not the right choice. But if you want to visit all palaces, museums, churches, exhibitions you ever read about, PENSION BARONESSE is your place – 15-20 minutes’ walk distance from the Opera House – the heart of Vienna. The beds are comfortable, the pillows soft, you will have rich breakfast and excellent coffee. We had room 29 – quiet and comfortable.
There is no restaurant for diner but Ina from the reception was very nice and gave us very good advice and directions for restaurants in the neighborhood. We preferred FROMME HELENE and had three times excellent diner there. You need a reservation for this place.
We visited Vienna in late October – wonderful time to be there, every tree has different colors and you can see the full beauty of all parks and palaces!
We took three tours – City tour, Salzburg tour and Danube tour. For the first two they came and took us from the hotel and our return was organized. We had very good time and were happy to see all those wonderful places.
The very last moment just before leaving for the airport we realized that we could take all those tours from the reception instead of going by the Opera. You can have tickets for all city transport at the reception desk too.
We were very glad to be guest of PENSION BARONESSE. Next time in Vienna - we will be there too!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank smily53
Reviewed December 21, 2012

This is a welcoming small hotel just blocks from many of Vienna's museums and their famous Christmas market. The hotel is full of character, offers a nice hot punch at the reception and friendly service. I am enjoying my stay since this location is convenient and my room is dead quiet at night; perfect for sleeping. There are lots of good eateries in the area and so far, no complaints at all. A good place to stay without blowing your budget.

Room Tip: Room 224 is super quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Hi we had a 4 night stay in Baronesse My Secret Home and thoroughly enjoyed our stay in the hotel,excellent central location to go visit Vienna and surrounding areas as the public transport system is on the doorstep,lots of restaurants and pastry/cake shops serving a great choice of teas/coffee at reasonable prices.The hotel was very clean,room was lovely only thing was there was no tea/coffee making facilities in the room.The bathroom was adequate with a lovely high prssure shower and no end of shower gel/shampoo supplied.The staff were lovely.mannerly,friendly and very helpful,but there is no wheelchair access ramp which we needed as our daughter has to use a wheelchair. Would I stay here again? Yes,definitely! There was free WiFi available,I didnt avail of it.I saw some of the reviews saying it was noisy,we had a street room and apart from the trundling of the trams did not find it noisy. We thoroughly recommend you go to Bennos Bar and Restaurant as the selection of food,desserts and beer are brilliant and the staff are genuinely mannerly to talk to when ordering its a 15 minute walk away just ask in the hotel how to get there and just to point out our son lives in Vienna and he brought us to it.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank JohnNorth1961
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I stayed at the Baronesse for two days at the end of November to check out the Christmas Markets in Vienna. This particular hotel was within a 10 minute walking distance to the main Christmas Market at the Rathuas (New City Hall).

The hotel itself is decent. The lobby is small and dated, but all the front desk staff were great to deal with. They were always very helpful from giving directions to: Market, Pharmacy, pick-up point for the Hop-on Hop-off bus, to helping book railway tickets for my trip to Budapest. They are some of the friendliest and most helpful front desk staff I have encountered as of late.

I stayed in Room #2, a single room on the first floor. The room was well decorated in the modern style. The only real comment about the room was that it was very small...but that did not keep me from enjoying it.

I ate breakfast my last morning there, and I was presently surprised with it. I had read some negative comments about it. While it is no smorgasbord, it has a wide selection of food choices. The only eggs they had out were boiled eggs, but a french couple came in after me and asked if the staff could fix them some scrambled eggs, and they did with out any fuss. Yes, 12 euros is pricey for breakfast, but if you would like the convenience of eating in the hotel then this is an option.

If I could rate this hotel with more than just solid stars I would give it a firm 3.5 stars. Good location, friendly staff, and nice, but small room. Overall a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank mikel911
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Good price but all bedrooms don't look like the pictures on the wbesite.
Our room was less qualitative and it was noisy because we were on the street.
Breakfast not included, it is 12€.

Nevertheless, those are the positive points:
> lot coffee bars, restaurants around the hotel
> 15 min max from the city center
> near line 43 of the tram
> 8 minutes walking from a subway station (Alser Strasse , line U6 and Schottentor line U2)
>nice staff: they have a luggage room so you can let your luggages there to go and visit Vienna.

Room Tip: Avoir the rooms that are on the street.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2012

The hotel was easy to find from the airport and in a good location. The free wifi in the room was a great bonus. My room was at the rear of the hotel and there was no noise. Although the breakfast was excellent, I thought it was rather expensive at 12 Euro.
The reception staff were very friendly and helpful. I would certainly recommend this hotel if you are visiting Vienna.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com