“Traditional hearty meal” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Griechenbeisl

Griechenbeisl
Ranked #162 of 4,071 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: German, Austrian, European, Central European
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Old University Quarter
Crail, United Kingdom
“Traditional hearty meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

This restaurant lived up to our expectations, set in a historic building with efficient and friendly service. Fois gras starter was sweet and creamy, onion soup full of flavour. My wife had Weiner schnitzel for her main, a huge slab of veal which was tender and tasty. My only slight gripe was that the skin on my suckling pig wasn't crispy crackling as I had hoped. Sadly too full to attempt dessert but from what we saw being delivered to fellow diners they looked delicious.
Accompanied by a nice bottle of Austrian red at a reasonable price.

• Visited December 2013

• Turkish first
Grosse Pointe Michigan USA
“Historic Restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

I have been to this restaurant numerous times, but wonder if there is new management or chef as the entire experience was not up to the standard of several years ago. One meal our group had was inedible. Staff was informed and a complimentary dessert was offered. However, that didn't make up for a dinner where the diner was only able to eat 2 bites since the meat was so tough and grizzly. Prices on some items were higher than other comparable Viennese restaurants, but the quality on several meals was not judged by our group to be worth the higher price...even considering the interesting history of the place.

• Visited December 2013
New York City, New York
“Lovely restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

The concierge of our hotel recommended this restaurant when we asked for a good restaurant for dinner. It's a Thursday night and we got a table without any problem as the restaurant is spacious. Waiters are very friendly and helpful, knowledgable of the menu as well. I had lamb schnitzel - it's very delicious and big portion. My husband had venison and he enjoyed it very much. Overall it's a wonderful dining experience and the restaurant is very charming. I will recommend this place to my friends.

Thame, United Kingdom
“Great food for a special evening”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

This is a restaurant for a special dinner - the setting is full of history and the food and drink were very good; I particularly recommend the venison stew. However, it is not cheap so bear that in mind (especially if you come from the UK with a weak pound). The only word of warning is that I think the service may be variable. Our waiter was good and happy to offer his advice in good English but the word on the hotel's grapevine is that they are not all so attentive. However, I would go back here for a special occasion.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Grosse Pointe Michigan USA
“Historic restaurant in Vienna”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

This was my second time to this restaurant. There is a comprehensive menu but I wasn't really hungry, so had a hard time finding just the right entrée. The location and history of the place is intriguing. Enjoyed the live piano music and the cozy atmosphere. We wanted to talk and had reserved a corner table. It worked out perfectly. It was a Sunday night, so wasn't as busy (crazy) as it is on a Saturday night. It is definitely worth a try and I plan to return in a couple of weeks.

• Visited October 2013