“Best "ice cream" sundae I've ever had.”
Review of Cafe de l'Europe

Cafe de l'Europe
Ranked #32 of 118 Dessert in Vienna
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Inner City
Reviewed May 19, 2012

Food and service was so-so and it the cost was typical of Vienna, in other words, not cheap. However, I did have the best ever ice cream sundae, a Mokka Becher, with coffee and vanilla ice cream, chocolate covered coffee beans, whipped cream and coffee liqueur all over it. I don't even like ice cream usually. Seemed like more of a cross between ice cream and gelato. It was sublime!

Reviewed April 13, 2012

Right on the Graben, one block from the Cathedral. Anything from a cup of coffee and cigarette to a full dinner. Seems to be always open. There is a fine selection of cakes. The lower floor is very busy and upstairs is less so but it is fun watching the people come and go. The waiters are efficient, polite and courteous. We sat upstairs next to the window at five pm and enjoyed watching thousands of people tearing around the Graben at a hundred kilometres an hour. We had the wiener schnitzel
with two plates and several drinks. The bill 41.80 EU including some gratuity. This is our favourite eating place in the Graben.

Reviewed March 30, 2012

Nice place, in a great location, good cafe. great architecture and shops around, I love Swarowsky, and also saw really nice glasses and at Albin's. Try the dark profiteroles. Last place to close at night in that area. Take outs available.

Reviewed March 1, 2012

My favorite breakfast place - out of tradition and convenience. When I am in Vienna, there is a 9am jour fixe at the "Europe". The coffee they serve is some of the best in Vienna, and I like croissants, not sumptuous breakfasts - so this is perfect.
If you can stand the smokers, stay downstairs - if not, go upstairs and enjoy a classic 60's styled coffee house ambiente.
In the warmer months, the garden is a perfect place to observe just about eberything going on in Vienna - it seems like everyone has to pass by this cafe on a daily basis.
And if I need a quick, inexpensive, tasty lunch - I go check out the daily lunch menu from Monday to Friday, and their food is really well cooked and tasty.

Reviewed February 2, 2012

We visitied the Cafe De lEurope several times during our 11 day visit to Vienna this Christmas (2011) and we never had a bad meal. The only downside is that, if you are non-smoker, you have to run the gauntlet of the smoking section downstairs. However, you can hold your breath to the top and the workd is a different place.

The cafe is right outside the Graben exit to the metro at Stephansdom. It was much cheaper to eat there than our hotel, and this made a difference as we were in the city for a long time.

For cuteness, ask for Harry. He speaks excellent English and is a useful source of information for the Vienna region. We spent a long time talking to him and found him charming, knowledgeable about the area and an absolute angel when it came to looking after us at the table.

The Cafe offers a reasonably good range of breakfasts to suit any kind of day and the food is presented nicely. I am allergic to orange, and my breakfasts were adapted to allow me to eat safely, with suitable substitutions at no extra cost and with wonderful, smiling service.

We would heartily reccommned this cafe for all visitors to Vienna.