“Excellent hotel in the heart of Kitzbuhel”

Hotel Goldener Greif
Ranked #22 of 48 Hotels in Kitzbuhel
DeKalb, Illinois
“Excellent hotel in the heart of Kitzbuhel”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I have been visiting Kitzbuhel for about 20 years, and this is the first time that I have stayed in this hotel. Everyone - from the waiters and desk staff to the owner - was incredibly hospitable and welcoming. I had a single room, but it still had a small sitting area, table, desk, and large wardrobe. It was very comfortable, traditional in wooden decor, the bathroom was recently redone, and I had a balcony that looked at the Kitzbuheler Horn.

They offered an extensive breakfast buffet every morning and the dinner was absolutely wonderful - delicious and varied in choices daily. There was a comfortable lounge area and a small terrace in the front of the hotel to enjoy as well. It was only steps away from the town center, so the location couldn't have been more perfect.

The only little snafu was the broken elevator, but, it was quickly fixed the next day.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The hotel maintains a traditional Tirolean ambiance which I quite like and admire, but the conveniences of modern life, like free wi-fi and a spa area are nice as well. Definitely a nice 4-star hotel in the heart of Kitzbuhel... I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank musicman3277

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
devon
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We spent time in Kitzbuhel 40 yrs ago at this hotel. We expected to see great changes but actually it didn't seem that different. Still very traditional in every way, including the friendly welcome and good wholesome food. ( smoked ham and sauerkraut for dinner for example) Very central location and comfortable and quiet.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank splatterscreen
Evanston, Illinois
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is one of those reviews you almost hate to write, because you'd rather not let others know how great of a place this really is. However, the people and the property definitely deserve the praise.

I stayed at the Goldener Greif during Hahnenkamm week and had an excellent stay. I was in a single room on the fourth floor. Some would say small, I think it was cozy and well-designed and well-furnished. It was lacking nothing...even had a balcony looking out to the Kitbuheler Horn.

Given the season, the rates were extremely reasonable for the value received. Not just in my room, but in the rooms (of various configurations) where friends and family stayed. The common areas were geniunely decorated with art of and describing old Kitzbuhel, always appropriate, never cheap or garish.

The people--from the front desk staff and the bartenders up to the owners themselves were always helpful and kind....even to those not staying in the hotel who needed a bit of information. Genuine hospitality. Many of the guests...old AND young...were repeat customers, and spoke highly of the place.

I will definitely go back to Kitbuhel for the Hahnenkamm, and stay at the Goldener Grief, because the Hotel played a large role in making my visit so enjoyable.

Is it cheap? No. Is it a great value? Yes, very much so. If you don't know the difference, then, perhaps it is not your sort of place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Mtnsguy
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2012

There were incredible things about this hotel and then there were not so good things unfortunately.

To start off I have to say that the location is second to none! You are right in the middle of the centre with access to absolutely everything within walking distance. Shopping, restaurants, bars etc 1 min walk and to the main Gondola (Hahnenkamm) and the train station 5 mins. You can either leave your skis etc in the hotel or you can rent a locker at the gondola station to make the walk even easier.
The staff is wonderful, they were so friendly and welcoming and ever so helpful, nothing seems too much to ask. If you have an allergy or intolerance they are more than happy to help and provide for that. Breakfast is as a normal European / Alp buffet breakfast and if you would like something else they will organise that for you with a smile.

We had a junior suite (facing the Hahnenkamm) with a balcony and it was lovely and spacious. There was an entrance hall to hang your jacket and leave your shoes and suitcases and then it was one large room with a sitting area. The bathroom had a shower cabin and a bathtub which was lovely to soak in after a day's skiing. The bed was fine but the pillows a bit "so so", we did ask for more though and got them immediately.

Unfortunately there were a few things which weren't so good. Firstly as soon as we stepped off the elevator (2nd floor) there was a terrible smell of smoke and it followed us down the hallway (but not in to the room). I am a smoker and have been for 25 years so if even I think it smells bad you can imagine how it is for a non smoker... It is only for a minute or so but every time you step out of your room or the lift there it is.
For me the worst was the fact that the room and the hallways were absolutely stifling hot, we did switch the heat off which made it bareable but still the air was so dry we both left Kitzbühel with parched skin and terrible throat ache. Opening a window at night in order to get a bit of humidity is not an option when it is -20 degrees outside and also when the snowremovaltrucks come at 6am... Apart from that there are no blackout curtains and when there are shutters with a gap between every slat and you have the streetlamps straight outside "lighting up your room" it means a terrible night's sleep. We did try to attach towels to the windows but putting them up every night and taking them down every morning was a bit annoying. Admittedly we were offered a change of rooms but since the air was making it hard to sleep anyway we decided it wasn't worth the effort to pack up all our gear again in order to unpack again a minute later.

Finally the dinner, again the kitchen was amazing when it came to accommodating intolerances and there simply wasn't anything they wouldn't do for us. However, and this is no fault of the hotel's, the typical Austrian food that was on offer was not our cup of tea. I know, when in Rome and all that :) but still it is worth pointing it out because it could have been so different.

All in all a lovely hotel with a few things that affected us very much but could be very easily fixed with a blackout curtain (or at least thicker curtains) and the option of a humidifier if you want it. My rating is for the wonderful staff, if it hadn't been for them it would have been a 2 because no matter how central something is, if you can't sleep...

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank glutenfreeswede
Chicago
Reviewed October 19, 2011

We stayed in this hotel with our 2 kids, so perhaps the staff stuck us in a corner room. I was underwhelmed by the decor in the room itself. The hotel has an amazing location could not be more central and we walked to the lifts everyday. ( Renting a locker at the Hahnenkamm lift.) The staff was friendly and the breakfast was only o.k.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Toronto
Reviewed September 15, 2011

We showed up without a reservation, walked in and were lucky enough to get a room here. The room was fantastic - lots of wood, red upholstery, four-poster canopy bed, dining table and chairs, big windows and a balcony with great views. We felt like we had stepped into a room in a medieval castle. The staff were somewhat frazzled (they were hosting an Italian seniors bridge tournament while we were there), but very friendly, helpful and managed us to squeeze us in for a second night. Location was just outside the pedestrian zone in the centre of town so a 30 second walk to restaurants and shopping. Their parking lot is a couple of blocks away so it is a minor inconvenience, but everything else was great.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chasescout
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Stayed in the hotel for one night during our summer Road Trip to Austrian Alps. This trip was an eye-opener for me. I had had the misconception that Germanic peoples could never be as cordial and hospitable as, say, Italians, or Latin people in general. Well, nothing further from the truth. The people in the Austrian Alpine regions are among the friendliest and most welcoming you will ever meet.

The receptionist in the Hotel Goldener Greif, for example. He welcomed us to the hotel and helped us park the car. He engaged us in a friendly conversation (to the extent that my limited German permitted), and recommended a Blues-music event which took place in the village that night (it turned out to be excellent). When I mentioned that I had a slight headache, he suggested it might be due to drinking too little liquids on a hot day, and offered a glass of water. Can a hotel check-in be any more pleasant?

Kitzbühel is a distinctly upmarket resort (we're talking Tiffany's and Louis Vuitton on the Main Street), so I was expecting astronomical prices. It didn't even occur to me that centrally-located accommodation might be within our budget. Fortunately, I was wrong (again) - at scarcely EUR 60 per person per night (plus additional child discounts), the hotel is very affordable and good value for money in my opinion.

The most interesting thing about the Hotel is that it is dates back to medieval times - apparently, back to 1270! The door frames are unusually low, perhaps due to the fact that people in middle ages were on average much shorter than us today? The interior design does a good job of evoking the medieval atmosphere - all in all a truly special place. It is full of Christian religious symbols, though. We didn't mind at all, but I can imagine that people belonging to other religions might find it objectionable.

Unfortunately, the internet connection was positively medieval too. A coin-operated computer in the hallway, if you can believe it.

The room was smallish, but very clean (apparently a norm in Austria), and nicely appointed - again evoking that ancient atmosphere. The bathroom was thoroughly modern - looked recently renovated. Good quality cosmetics.

The hotel is located as centrally as possible: On the Main Street. Our room faced the other side - sort of a park where the schools is. At first we were sorry not to have had the view towards the Main Street, but then realized this was probably a blessing due to the live music event which took place there at night.

The breakfast (included) was very good, in a beautiful (again) medieval-looking hall featuring a fireplace and a large wooden panel with a carving of what the village looked like in 1620. Good selection of hams, cheeses, jams, fruits, and the like.

At the check-out, another nice surprise: We had been quoted the price for a superior room, but charged the (lower) price for a standard room (I don't know what type of room we had - probably standard).

A very nice experience overall. I can wholeheartedly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family