The Weisses Rossl is one of the two Harisch hotels in Kitzbuhel, the sister hotel being the much better designed "Schwarzer Adler" Hotel 100m down on the same road.
Kitzbuhel itself is a lovely authentic medieval town, with a large ski area of 60 ski runs and 170 km of slopes interconnected by brand new lifts. We had hired instructors from the Red Devil ski school who were brilliant and dedicated and who went the extra length to make sure we would make progress.
The Weisses Rossl hotel is a 7-10 mins walk from the main gondola. The gourmet menu from their restaurant is excellent, although the wine card is a bit limited both on Austrian and French wines. The restaurant staff is very friendly, but unfortunately it does not make it up to a 5* hotel and here are the main reasons:
- the rooms can be a bit old fashion, the flooring squeaky, and the TV sets very old, I could barely read the buttons on the remote. The rooms at the front can be very hot and very noisy if you leave the windows open. No information available on room service (I still don't know if they have one), no newspaper available in the rooms (neither complementary, nor charged for).
- we asked if we could book a massage at the spa, and were told it was fully booked. When we went down to the spa on the day we had requested the massage, it turned out that the spa was actually unattended. There is a nice little swimming pool but there is actually no staff dispensing treatments, it was all empty and dark, and I would have much preferred them to be honest with us about it instead of telling us that the spa was overbooked.
- we booked a 3 day half board package but chose to opt out 1 evening to go to the Neuwirt, the 2 toque Michelin star restaurant of their sister hotel. The food was sublime, the wine list very good. At the time of booking the hotel, we were told we would receive a 25€ "voucher" to opt out of the dinner at the Weisses Rossl and go a la carte to the Neuwirt instead. Upon check out on the last day, this information was first dismissed, and we were finally given the 25€ discount after haggling, which is an embarrassment you don't want to go through if you spend 500€ on a dinner (at their sister hotel).
- Usually hotels in ski towns always have clear weather forecast sheets on their front desk (weather today in town, on the mountain, wind factor and forecast for tomorrow). Here no information was displayed. When asked about the current weather, the staff would turn to the webcam from the mountain relaying some vague information with no details. It is a shame given the detailed information is available on the town website and it would be no effort to put it on a sheet for the guests.
We will definitely go back to Kitzbuhel but to their sister hotel instead. The design there is smart, there was a pianist in the bar and the guests joined in with the songs, it was the perfect atmosphere you want for a ski holiday.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia and Agoda so you can book your Weisses Rossl reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Weisses Rossl Kitzbühel