“Inspired in Innsbruck: My 3-Day Stay at The Penz Hotel”
Review of The Penz Hotel

The Penz Hotel
Ranked #4 of 72 Hotels in Innsbruck
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Perhaps there is some truth that I inclined toward fault-finding, but this characterization does not apply, not at all, regarding my recent stay at The Penz Hotel! I stayed in Innsbruck for 3 days before taking the train to an 8-day intensive teacher-training for a class I teach back home. I just loved Innsbruck and staying at the Penz only helped to enhance these very enjoyable 3 days.

The hotel's location is just perfect; a few blocks away from the most touristy parts of Innsbruck and yet just a 3 minute walk to the old town. The hotel felt both a slight bit removed and yet extremely close. The modern design, with mirror glass exterior, did well with the modern reflecting antiquity. While we are all different, this architectural statement worked for me! The room was exceptionally clean and comfortable. The size was more than adequate, the bed was comfortable and cozy, the Wifi was fast and from my 4th floor room I totally appreciated the serenely inspiring panorama of rooftops and mountains.

Breakfast was significantly well above average and a nice way to begin the day. The views from the 5th floor breakfast area were also just fabulous; soothing and tranquil sunrises above the mosaic of rooftops and mountain peaks, inviting and encouraging me to get going in my exploration of Innsbruck and surroundings. With my belly full from a overwhelmingly vast array of fresh fruits, freshly squeezed orange juice and other delightful options to many to mention, fully caffeinated from delicious coffee, I was ready to go!

I greatly valued and appreciated my pre-arrival email contacts with the hotel. They were responsive, helpful and promised me a 4th floor room with a view! It was not the typical "we will do our best to accommodate your preferences but depends on availability" kind of non-committal (and nonsense) response. Perhaps this is an advantage of a "boutique" hotel. Most, but not 100%, of the staff, was extremely accommodating and knowledgeable re: Innsbruck and surrounding areas. I do feel as if the training of the front desk personnel could be enhanced a bit so that there is more consistency in their professionalism and knowledge. Overall, my very positive interactions with the front desk far out-weighed any disappointing interactions.

For example, after hearing that I found Innsbruck's "old town" a bit too touristy and over-crowded, a gentleman working the front desk encouraged me to explore Hall in Triol. He was spot-on with this recommendation!!! I am quite grateful to have taken the 20+ minute bus adventure to this small village/town that had such a charming old town... authentic, not so commercial nor crowded and with the sun out, just a totally enjoyable adventure! I got some great pictures!!

The same man also recommended the Hotel Central (from 1884) for my Wiener Schnitzel experience and he was, once again, on-target. A 100% satisfying and very low-keyed/relaxing culinary experience (and 100% unhealthy too!!) Speaking of unhealthy but deeeelicious, the humongous portion of whipped cream serve with my Apple Strudel, set a new life-time standard for whipped-cream!! YUMMY YUMMY!

If you are still reading this review then by now you can see how staying at The Penz Hotel only enhanced my complete enjoyment of Innsbruck. THANKS Penz!! Obviously, from my own perspective, I would highly recommend this hotel and if I am ever fortunate to return to Innsbruck then I would want to also return to The Penz.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Experienced1052

Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed 1 night in the hotel Penz. Reasonably priced underground parking with the elevators directly to the hotel floors, functional, moderately sized room with the very comfortable bed and a large variety of the international TV channels. The location is the best and there were enouph breakfast reviews, so I'll just say that I agree with them all. All front desk personnal was very helpful with the restaurants and sightseeing suggestions.

Having free wi-fi service automatically without annoying passwords and locking out was especially welcomed and so 21th century.

We really enjoyed our stay and hope to be back.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

This is a fabulous hotel right in the centre of Innsbruck. It is such a treat to have all the sights, restaurants and facilities within a few minutes walk.
Rooms are clean, modern and functional. Good size bathroom, lovely towels and toiletries.Large windows which you can open!
Breakfast area and bar ont he 5th floor are lovely with tremendous views.
We used to stay outside Innsbruck in more rustic places but I will certainly come back to the Penz. It's a real treat.
Staff are friendly but not overbearing. Car parking is easy underneath the hotel but it does cost you 13 Euros per day. Given how good the public transport service is - with the F bus going straight from the airport to the town centre (there are bus stops within 3 minutes walk of the hotel) and great train, tram and bus services - you don't really need a car.

Room Tip: the higher up you are the better your view will be. We were on the third floor which was just fine.
1  Thank Astrid23
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Walking from the train station wasn't hard...even with a rolling suitcase. Just head toward the memorial arch and turn right. Everything (and I mean everything) is within walking distance from the hotel. The room was great with everything you could want. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom had all the amenities you could want including a bidet. And the windows I really like: tilt out and swing out.

And the rooftop bar provided a scenic view of the area in three directions.

And the breakfast buffet was to die for. It is the best fruit selection I have ever had, and I compare everyting to the Caravelle Hotel in Saigon. There were over 25 different fruit choices plus breads, hot and cold servings, and great coffee.

When I stayed, there was no dining room for other meals, but I don't know if this is always the case.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Penz Hotel for 2 nights while in Innsbruck September 2013. The hotel was ultra modern and very "green." The hotel was clean and staff was friendly. The breakfast was excellent - really amazing spread of everything from exotic fruits to calamari to pastries.

However, the hotel skimps on some things. For instance, we each only got 1 towel each day. In fact the first night we stayed there I had to call for additional towels. The shower has 1/2 of a glass door. The shower head was unable to be moved so when me or my husband showered water FLOODED the entire bathroom and there was no way to prevent this. We had to use the two towels we had to clean up the entire floor each night. It was ridiculous.

Additionally, the top foot and a half of the bathroom wall is glass which faces the bedroom. So, if you get up in the nighttime to use the bathroom and put the light on, you wake up your partner because the recessed lighting from the bathroom lights the entire bedroom (and it's very bright - feels like a spotlight is on you). Not sure what possessed them to place glass at the top of the shower.

However, despite these negatives, the bed was comfortable and hotel is in a great location.

We had a car and it was very easy to park (underground parking with an elevator that leads directly to the hotel).

Also, the 5th floor bar was awesome with great drink selections.

1  Thank Stefashion
Reviewed September 12, 2013

The hotels enjoys the best location nad the views. The Information centre, bus stop, old town , congress centre and all other tourist attractions are in near vgicinity. the staff is amazing and very polite.
the breakfsat in nice too though a bit over rated anyways a great hotel to stay overall.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Simply a good alternative to classical downtown star hotels. Roof top terrace with amazing view on mountains.starting with a delicious breakfast - especially on Sundays - overlooking the city. All mayor attractions within walking distance and super friendly and helpful staff
Another absolute pro is the parquet floor in the rooms ... no carpet as usually in many hotels!
to sum it up... I'd book it again!!!

• Stayed: September 2013