“perfect spot for afternoon tea break”
Review of Cafe Munding

Cafe Munding
Ranked #1 of 13 Dessert in Innsbruck
Cuisines: Austrian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Very Austrian experience! It was a lovely afternoon so we could enjoy sitting outside. The selection was good. The assistant behind the counter was very friendly and loved an excuse to practise her english! I had a passionfruit and mango torte, my husband had a chocolate mousse cake. Both very good. Kids had a spitzbueb each (cookie) which they devoured. Lovely little spot for an afternoon tea break and to people watch.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I had walked a few times past Cafe Munding Konditorei and the outdoor cafe looked very inviting. It is centrally located but not in the main pedestrian mall. It looked pretty genteel. The selection of cakes were varied, looked fresh. I settled for a mozart cake and herbal tea which I think went very well together. The cake was very moist, the chocolate and the sweetness was just right, not overpowering. I checked out the menu, and they had quite a selection of very colourful and inviting parfaits. Unfortunately, I had to skip that since I was already getting my sugar load for the day from the cake. Of all the cafes in the old city, I found Cafe Munding a tad higher than the rest with very nice selection, excellent location, and very laid back (as in not noisy, overcrowded) atmosphere. It is the oldest operating bakeshop in town.

2  Thank JABuenafe
Reviewed June 1, 2012

During our stay of five weeks, we visited Café Munding at last once a week, drawn by the wonderful hot chocolate, the coffee and the atmosphere. As it is in the centre of the Old Town, it is within walking distance of many of the attractions of Innsbruck and buses and trams make it easy to reach from anywhere within the town. I usually ordered chocolate cake and my husband the apple strudel and we enjoyed both, though the chocolate cake with a layer of ganache was my favourite as it was moister than the plainer version. The hot chocolate consisted of a glass of hot milk, a dense 'ball' of chocolate on a little dish, another dish with molten caramel, and a final dish with whipped cream topped with toffee and nuts, all on a silver tray ready to be assembled as you wish - mmmmhhhh! The clientele appeared to be mainly locals, of all ages and we really enjoyed being part of the Austrian 'Cafe Kultur', even for a short time.

2  Thank Michele B
Reviewed April 6, 2012

Very nice, traditional Konditorei, in the heart of Innsbruck. When we went in December, it was pretty packed with tourists (it's at a stone throw from the Goldenes Dachl and the huge Swarowski shop), but the ambience was still quiet and, repeat, very "Austrian". The cakes are simply great, but go beyond the Sacher - in Tyrol they have better and more unusual cakes. I agree with other reviews that any drink with the word "coffee" is very expensive, but unfortunately it's the general rule in Austria.
In any case, a very pleasant place, that we always visit when in the Tyrol capital.

1  Thank Achille C
Reviewed March 18, 2012

we are a mature couple who travelled over 100 countries.
we stayed on our way to the ski resort one night at innsbruck.
during touring the beautiful old city, we entered this charming conditory and tried 4 different cakes with coffee.
we were surprised by the quality of all the cakes especially one of the chocolate cakes.
it was our best in 60 years and we have been in some of the most famous conditories in the world include of course in vien and budapest.
a must visit in innsbruck !

2  Thank strulovitz