“Can't wait to go back!”

Ranked #180 of 3,111 Tirol B&B and Inns
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Can't wait to go back!”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I spent four days at the Apsley in December and can honestly say it was one the best holidays I have ever had. The staff make you feel completely at home from the moment you arrive, and are always eager to meet your every need. The rooms are large, comfortable and warm with en suite bathrooms and there is a cosy lounge with a TV and DVD player as well as a lovely breakfast room. There is also a bar at the Apsley, which serves a wide variety of very reasonably priced drinks. Dinner is one of the highlights of the ski lodge- a delicious three course meal with fresh, local ingredients, exactly what you need after a tough day on the slopes! Speaking of skiing- the Apsley has access to a huge variety of slopes- including Niederau, Oberau,Aubach and Hofgarten- the furthest a mere 10 minute drive. There is lots of nice runs for all skiing abilities. Apsley also offers guiding on the slopes, which we took advanage of and were very glad to have such experienced hosts to show us the mountains. The Apsley has so much going for it- great location, excellent price, lovely food and amazing staff. I loved my time at the Apsley and can't wait to go back!

3 Thank hannah s

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2013

If your ideal hotel is one where a smiling automaton in a pseudo-military uniform greets you from behind a big shiny reception desk and you are dead to them the moment they are serving someone else then you are not the kind of person that's going to like the Apsley. And you are an idiot. If, on the other hand, you are not an idiot and like the kind of place run by lovely humans who become your mates in seconds, where you get a lovely breakfast, a comfy bed, a lovely hot en-suite shower and an outstanding evening meal, then you might actually fall a bit in love with the Apsley and its crew. I did. They want everyone to have a great time and they'll do pretty much anything within reason to ensure you do. At this price, unsurprisingly, you don't get deep pile carpet, en-suite steam rooms or a personal butler. What you do get is everything you actually need at amazing value prices. You're not going to get a snooty "is everything to Sir's satisfaction?" or any of that impersonal sucky crap. But then why would you want that? After all, you're not an idiot.

2 Thank spurspants
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Wanna make some new friends? Regardless of how popular - or unpopular - you are in the UK, (I happen to be incredibly popular, so no concerns there) the Apsley Ski Lodge family will take you in and and make your life sweeter than ever.

I've often wondered what happens when a history teacher, a doctor and a dentist decide to throw themselves into the Austrian ski chalet industry. And last week I found out. The result is a group of people who will cater to your every need with a huge smile, a terrible joke and the occasional full health check-up. That last part was my own terrible joke.

Marek, their amazing chef, gave us the honour of being his guinea pigs since we were the first guests of the season. He cooked up some of the tastiest dishes I've ever eaten, and I've been to a Wimpy.

Alongside the owners and Marek were further collection of like-minded, professional efficient and incredibly friendly staff. Al, Hugh, Mal and Matej became instant friends, and they also form the glue that keeps the Apsley tight.

As for the mountains, I can honestly say it is among the best I have known in Europe. I was riding my snowboard through knee deep powder on the last day of November! You have the Niederau slopes on your doorstep, and the rest of the Tyrol along the valley. In the week we were there we rode Kitzbuhel, Hintertux, Mayrhofen, Hochfugen and Niederau. There may have been more too. Skiwelt and Skijewel have fast become my favourite areas in Europe. You can cross into Switzerland too, if you fancy a Toblerone. AND AUSTRIA IS CHEAP! A beer in any of the local bars is around half of what you would pay in Chamonix.

If you fly into Innsbruck (only open from mid December I think) you can pretty much ski to the Apsley from the airport. Good luck carrying your suitcases though (although in truth they could make their way over by cab).

I guess this is how I would like to run a lodge. Not at all stuffy, everyone working there is absolutely lovely, and having a genuinely enjoying what they do. Things may occasionally appear a bit rough around the edges, but this place is more than just a building. It's a home from home. Go and stay. And you’ll come back with memories and mates for life. I promise.

4 Thank Dan B
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Very unkept, unhelpful, and overpriced.
You'll have a good time here if you give the owners enough of your time and effort to be in the "in crew." If not, expect nothing. This place is a joke.
We arrived with busabout, rooms were late for checking in as the staff were hungover from a big night (see aimeepeter review for details)
I attempted to get help from staff via email, and when I arrived. My email was ignored, and when I arrived I couldn't tell the difference between who was staff, and who was just sitting at the tv drinking beer. When I realized they were staff at the tv, I attempted to gain some insight to what I can do with my time there and received nothing but arrogance.
What's worse, is that some smarter friends of mine researched and stayed up the road,where the staff were helpful, the accommodation was comfortable, modern, clean and well kept, and CHEAPER!!

This place is an embarrassment to busabout and I highly recommend staying elsewhere.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Order66
ApsleySkiLodge, Owner at The Apsley Ski Lodge, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
We are sorry you feel this way, but are pleased that 89.47% of our most recent guests disagree with you.

We have had excellent guest satisfaction scores from the majority of our busabout
Guests. We do however accept that The Apsley is nt everyone's cup of tea.

We provide a thorough explanation of the facilities and activities within the area. We are sorry you missed this.

Our prices fall well within the standards set of the region.

Once, we are sorry you feel this way and wish you all the best for the future.

All best,

Apsley Team
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Loved this place, Jimmy really looked after us. Mel kept the whole place nice and clean and provided us with timely breakfasts. The place had a homely feel and made us feel welcome, especially with schnappy hour and ski trips. Loved it. Stay here. Had a great time.

• Stayed August 2013
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Had a great time staying here. Jimmy an Mal were great and very helpful. A great place to relax and have a fun time. The trip to the snow to ski in summer is amazing and is a must do for anyone coming.

• Stayed September 2012
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Me and my partner recently stayed here for four nights and had a great time! We have been travelling for a few months and it was nice to stay somewhere so "homely". Staff were always smiling and helped us with organising extra activities to do during our stay! Comfy bed, clean bathroom and amazing view from our balcony! Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013