“Brilliant Hotel in perfect location. I loved it!”

arthotel Blaue Gans
Ranked #9 of 132 Hotels in Salzburg
Melbourne, Australia
“Brilliant Hotel in perfect location. I loved it!”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Yes, this hotel was pushing the upper end of my budget – but it was worth it. If you’re staying in Salzburg this hotel is perfect. Don’t hesitate, book, I loved it. I was traveling alone, and the staff were fantastic; really approachable, friendly and welcoming.

The location has to be one of the best aspects of this hotel. Right in the centre of the old part of the city and within easy walking distance of all the sights. Walk out of the hotel and you’ll be on one of the main shopping streets (but from my room I never heard any street noise).

The hotel is quirky, which I really liked, lots of different art to look at. The rooms were spacious, clean and bright. Simply decorated, with comfy beds, and all the needed amenities were there. I had a room with an internal view of the building, but this didn’t worry me at all. I’m sure any rooms with a street view would be lovely though.

The breakfast was great, lots of choice, and they made a nice coffee. I also had dinner in the restaurant one night, and I was surprised with how amazing it was (ended up being one of my favourite meals while travelling through Austria). I had all the vegetarian choices, and they were delicious. The restaurant was full of locals (always a good sign), and there was a really friendly buzz in the room. The cellar bar is also quite cool.

If I’m ever in Salzburg again I wouldn’t hesitate for one moment to stay here. It’s great!

* I got to the hotel on the public bus line from Salzburg station which was very easy (and cheap). The bus stop to get off is right outside the hotel (at the horse fountain) - too easy!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
ArthotelBlaueGans, Leiter Front Office at arthotel Blaue Gans, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
thank you for travelling by public transport. so salzburg has less cars in old town and its nicer for everybody.
we are glad you liked our vegetarien selection - it even grew! you will find our new card on our website.
looking forward to welcome you again in salzburg
the team of arthotel blaue gans

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Not 5 star luxury nor hip design but a charming quirky old building right in the heart of old Saltzburg and furnished in a simple, cosy modern style. We enjoyed relaxing and reading in the little lounge where we could make our own tea. The restaurant is also superb and should not be missed. The staff were excellent and even retrieved and held for me a bag I had stupidly left in a nearby car park!
Note the hotel is right on the edge of the pedestrian area and if you arrive by car you will probably do what we did - park as close as you can and check in so as to locate the hotel drop off space for unloading. You can then park in a public car park right inside the mountain which is surprisingly close!
We can't wait to return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
and we enjoyed having you here with us.
see you
Munich, Germany
Reviewed February 15, 2013

The "Blaue Gans" is a great hotel, right in the city center.

I had a room facing the back part of old town and although there is a main road passing I could not hear anything from it. The design of the room is very cozy and on the same time functional. The working desk was integrated into the wall and when I did not feel like working I could lie on the big couch.
I loved the bathroom with the Hugh shower and the "duck" that the guests are allowed to take home.
Food in the restaurant was perfect. And the breakfast had all you need. Try the Bircher-Müsli, it was amazing.
Parking @ 10 euros a cross the road was also ok,as normal guests pay at the parking around € 20...

I would come back any time

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
ohh yes, the littel blue "bathing goose" is our dearest colleague as well.
unfortunately we had to rise the fee for 24-hours parking to € 14,00 because the partner also requires more money. BUT you as our guest still have an advantage.
we would be glad to welcome you again - no matter if for working or relaxing reasons or both.
iris
front desk
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Wow...... Amazing hotel in the centre of Salzburg. Located on the main shopping street, everything is within walking distance. The hotel rooms are very interesting, big and spacious, individually decorated and clean. I stayed in the studio, which was very cute and had a very spacious bathroom. Free wifi is always a plus when travelling. The iPad's on each level are always entertaining as people seem to take pictures of themselves each morning. The breakfast was included and served in the hotel restaurant. With individually cooked eggs and then buffet for everything else it was amazing. The staff were polite and friendly. Rooms and general areas of hotel were always clean and tidy. I will definitely be staying here again, recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank J S
Perth
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Beautiful and central. Clean, elegant, large rooms and great staff. So many positives it is hard to mention them all. Central location in old town near all the shopping and restaurants. Room is large and warm. Water heaters in the bathroom make for easy drying of small washing. Breakfast is first class with a great selection and excellent staff, especially Sandra who always greeted us like we were friends. Monika and Iris on the front dest helped with our daily tours - great girls. Wifi was fast and reliable and nothing was too difficult for the staff. Absolutely 1st class. Outstanding value

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Chris_Hoath
Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Hotel is located in a great part of Old Town in Salzburg. Close to all the attractions and a very short walk to new town. At the other end of Old Town is the Winter Lounge, very good mulled wine.

Rooms are of a excellent standard, large, very clean and very comfortable. Bathroom is huge, great heated towel rake - excellent for drying your washing on. Rooms were too hot some nights so we left inside window open (double glazed windows) and found that to be more comfortable.

Sandra in the restaurant (breakfast time) was lovely, she was always smiling and happy. Her customer service and attention to people was very refreshing.

On reception Monika and Iris very helpful with organising:
1. day snowboarding up at Flachau. My husband snowboarded while I walked around the snow - worth a day trip there.
2. Massage - brilliant

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
ArthotelBlaueGans, Leiter Front Office at arthotel Blaue Gans, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Thank you for your nice validation, we hope to see you again in Salzburg.
Have a good winterseason 2014.
Arthotel Blaue Gans
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Perfect location is really only the beginning. The staff is superb and the daily breakfast is worth every penny. Our only beef with the place was the poor pillows. Probably need 3 to equal one American pillow! Rooms are a little funky which is expected in these types of hotels, but in some you need more room to sit down. Chairs or sofas are in short supply. But there is no real reason not to book this place. A great place to call home while visiting Salzburg.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family