“Pricey, but worth it.”

Cuisines: Austrian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We were just passing through Salzburg, having flown into the airport on our way to Berchtesgaden. We decided to try to experience the city as quickly as possible, and visiting this attractive cafe seemed like a good idea. It's ideally situated in the heart of the old town, with a very nice terrace in the good weather. The waiter was very prompt and incredibly friendly, with a good sense of humour. We asked him what he recommended, and hot chocolate with whipped cream and rum it was! It was very well presented, with the rum in a seperate glass and plenty of cream! It was also delicious. Shortly after we'd ordered, a waitress came round to offer us the tray of cakes. It was very well stocked and they all looked delicious, but we decided to decline this time. It was a lovely location in which to sip our hot chocolate and relax. When we'd finish the waiter was very prompt in bringing our bill. If there's a downside, it's that it was a little bit expensive. But that's what I'd expect in the heart of Salzburg and it really wasn't that unreasonable.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stopped by Café Tomaselli for coffee and dessert. It was close to closing time and they didn't have what we wanted from the menu, but our waitress brought us a huge tray of desserts to choose from and boy were they good. We also had cappachino with amaretta and whipped cream. Mmmm good! They have outdoor and indoor seeting - the outdoor is great and they have seating on ground level and on a second floor balcony. You can just sit and relax and people watch. Definitely recommended.

1  Thank tango2
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Well, we stopped here one afternoon when our favoured place was full and running out of torte and cake,
we were approached by waiter who took our coffee order and told that cake came round separately - it did by a lady carrying a tray with a variety to choose from - not a huge selection as one might have expected from such an establishment. She was in a rush and we hurriedly made our selection and then paid the lady there and then. Make sure you have enough cash on you before you launch into this experience. We then drank the remains of our coffee which had gone cold by the time the 'cake tray' had reached us. The coffee waiter produced his bill for the coffee, it was only coffee, it was a bit of a surprise to have to pay 5,10 eur seach for a coffee. Not the best place we would not repeat a visit there.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

It's a tradition. Given the number of people who flow in and out they do a marvelous job managing the rush and ebb of of people. I certainly have had better coffee but the strudel was reasonably good. So many people arrive, have coffee and leave they do run out of strudel sometimes. The menu choices are mostly coffee beverages and we were hoping for light lunch . It was fun.

Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

My main problem with this place is that the hot chocolate and cakes were really nice... But I can't fathom the rudeness I was faced with. We were rudely told that drinks and food need to be ordered seperately.

We were then snubbed and ignored by the evil witch of Salzburg carrying the cake tray. When she did come she had more attitude than I thought was humanly possible - what had I done to her to deserve to be snapped at and treated so poorly?I felt slightly better when I saw this special treatment was not reserved for me, but all guests were lucky enough to receive her rath...

Rudeness like this is something I have never experienced. I wouldn't treat my worst enemy this way!