“Went for the History”

Cafe Tomaselli
Ranked #2 of 19 Coffee & Tea in Salzburg
Cuisines: Austrian, Cafe, European
Good for: Scenic view, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Drinks, Breakfast, Cash Only, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Queensland, Australia
“Went for the History”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

A charming cafe which has been around since the 1700s, in a lovely historic square. The thought of Mozart eating there was in my mind as we enjoyed our cake and coffee. The fresh green and white striped awnings and umbrellas drew us in as it was a hot day and we had done a lot of walking. We sat inside next to a window where we could people watch. Beautiful inlaid timber panels on the walls and comfortable seating. We were a bit confused by the ordering system, until someone pointed out the glass case full of cakes. We selected what we wanted from there and it was brought by a separate waitress. Loved the Mozart cake and the raspberry slice, coffee and iced coffee. So glad we went to a place so full of history.

• Visited September 2012

• Turkish first
Whitby, Canada
“Enjoyable Afternoon Cafe”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

When my wife and I were planning our 2-day stop-over in Salzburg we had looked forward to visiting Cafe Tomaselli and experiencing another, in a long line, of great Austrian cafes (ie Cafe Sperl/Hawelka).
During a warm and sunny afternoon (in late September) we were lucky enough to secure a great table on their expansive upper terrace.
The service (although perhaps not typical of North American expectations - with respect to "friendliness") was expert, prompt and professional. I have no qualms about it as it seemed rather customary for the region.
While there we enjoyed the meat/cheese platter, capuccinos and 'lemonade' - which my wife stated was the best she'd ever had.
We'd both return without question.

• Visited September 2012
“I am not one to write bad reviews - But you need to be warned.”
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Cafe Tomaselli has been around in Salzburg for a long time, it is at the heart of the city and has the great advantage to have pretty much the best terrace in the sun. However, this alone remains its only advantage. I pitty the poor travelers who are lured in by its false exterior and decide to walk in. The service is an insult, not an ounce of friendliness or sincerity. The coffee is muck that comes out of an automatic machine, it was so gross I couldnt even finish it. Its completely overpriced and I cannot see why management is not changing its game. They are going down fast. Get a professional espresso machine, change up your menu, create a nice and happy working atmosphere and take the tight leashes off your employees.

3 Thank VirginiaSK
PencilPrincess
“Expensive. Delicious.”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

It was a tough move to rate this historic cafe "average" and not "very good." The location is wonderful (particularly on a fine, warm & sunny Spring or Summer morning). The interior is attractive and spacious and inviting, with a delightful spread of cakes and a nice selection of newspapers.

I assume the high prices are also reflective of the Cafe's historical status as a landmark cafe as well as the fact that, well, it is highly frequented by travelers from far and wide and its a prime location. Compared to prices I experienced throughout the city, my eyebrow raised a bit when I saw the prices on the menu but I decided it was worth it for the "experience." Part of the experience did not include very good customer service but that can be quite normal throughout the region.

My coffee drink (with a particular liqueur and nice heaping dollop of whip cream) was, I thought, ridiculously expensive but also ridiculously delicious. I just might splurge again on one fine coffee drink when I am back in the city. Perhaps...

• Visited May 2012
“Great Viennese style coffeehouse.”
Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

Great cafe with typical European service. I don't have any complaints. One tip though, they serve it with a lot of cream. I typically take some cream and sugar but would probably go "ohne sahne" next time. I'm not sure why everyone says it is expensive. For hand pulled espresso this is what u pay in Europe. Also Starbucks is more expensive for worse coffee.