“Expensive. Delicious.”

Cuisines: Austrian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed January 23, 2013

It was a tough move to rate this historic cafe "average" and not "very good." The location is wonderful (particularly on a fine, warm & sunny Spring or Summer morning). The interior is attractive and spacious and inviting, with a delightful spread of cakes and a nice selection of newspapers.

I assume the high prices are also reflective of the Cafe's historical status as a landmark cafe as well as the fact that, well, it is highly frequented by travelers from far and wide and its a prime location. Compared to prices I experienced throughout the city, my eyebrow raised a bit when I saw the prices on the menu but I decided it was worth it for the "experience." Part of the experience did not include very good customer service but that can be quite normal throughout the region.

My coffee drink (with a particular liqueur and nice heaping dollop of whip cream) was, I thought, ridiculously expensive but also ridiculously delicious. I just might splurge again on one fine coffee drink when I am back in the city. Perhaps...

Write a ReviewReviews (2,078)

Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

Great cafe with typical European service. I don't have any complaints. One tip though, they serve it with a lot of cream. I typically take some cream and sugar but would probably go "ohne sahne" next time. I'm not sure why everyone says it is expensive. For hand pulled espresso this is what u pay in Europe. Also Starbucks is more expensive for worse coffee.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

This may be an old and venerable institution, but at the rate it is going, it will soon be a forgotten relic. The stiff, feigned formality may work for some patrons but it does not work for me. The service was slow and indifferent. I felt that they were doing me a personal favor to serve my family with some boring confection and overpriced tea. What a let down!

2  Thank ShanevanJ
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Very famous and expencive coffee bar. Pastries are quite good but not excellent. Good selection of teas.

1  Thank Lopez79
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Even though we were warned in the Lonely Planet travel guide we thought we could come here for the strudel. We should have gone to another place. Well, actually we did the rest of the trip. While the feel of the cafe was nice, the staff is inefficient and rude. Lastly, the value for what you get is way overpriced. Find any other cafe to experience cafe culture in Salzburg.