“Wonderful food - limited wine choices”
Review of Blaue Gans

Blaue Gans
Ranked #49 of 713 Restaurants in Salzburg
Cuisines: Austrian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: History proves that you'll be well looked after: people have been gathering here for centuries, ever since 1350. The old walls with their vaulted ceilings and cosy nooks have seen plenty in their day; nothing can shake them these days. Smokers are welcome: there is a smoking lounge in the Schanigarten (pavement cafe), while everywhere else is non-smoking. The new Salzburg cuisine Take the courtly, bourgeois cuisine of Vienna, mix in some alpine produce and the easy ways of the south, all seasoned with a pinch of innovation and there you have it - attractive and modern Salzburg cuisine. Authentic. Simple. Regional. "Classic Austrian dishes", meticulously prepared offal, forgotten recipes, underrated cuts of meat, interesting vegetable dishes and the great imperial tradition of desserts as preserved by our confectioner Karl-Heinz - that's how we cook. Our Wine Archive (Weinarchiv) used to be a jazz cellar with vaults that are centuries old. It now stores our precious stock of wines. We open it up for festivities from 8 to 50 people, and call it "La Tavolata" which means something like: "Let's all have a great evening together at this long table." You can be sure that whatever we serve up has been home-made at our food manufactory and presented on an array of dainty plates and bowls. Everybody gets stuck in, helping themselves and their neighbours. Sharing is caring! We're flexible We are no strangers to allergies, food sensitivities and alternative dietary habits. Just let us know and we'll be able to cater to you and your requirements.
Reviewed July 10, 2018

Salzburg has more rain than any other City in Austria but when the weather is good sit outside in the courtyard of this restaurant and enjoy an excellent meal of locally sourced grilled fish - Char and trout are excellent - try the whitefish if you can but it is available only during the summer to preserve stocks. Of course you can always order Wiener schnitzel. Remember that, although traditionally made from veal, today it is often offered with Pork or even Turkey - read the menu carefully. My personal taste is for Austrian white wines. I think for the most part their red wines are not to my taste.

ArthotelBlaueGans, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Blaue Gans, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear David H,
I hope you have found a "White" sweetheart.
Thanks for pointing out the ingredients of Wiener Schnitzel. With us you always get this from the veal, baked in butter lard with hand-stirred cranberries and lukewarm potato-and-corn-salad. Our opinion: A dream
best regards
Marketing Assistant and the arthotel Blaue Gans team

Reviewed July 3, 2018

The best meal we had in Salzburg. We asked our concierge to recommend a centrally located fine dining restaurant which served Austrian food. The Blau Gans Gasthaus certainly fitted the bill. We received a warm welcome and the service was attentive throughout. My husband struggled to understand the menu but the waiter was really helpful in explaining. Basically, you could have one of the three set menus or mix and match. The menu offered some innovative twists on Austrian dishes with an obvious focus on quality fresh ingredients. I opted for the goats cheese crème brulee to start with and the boiled veal/tafelspitz to follow. My husband chose the broth followed by the venison. For dessert we shared a milk strudel. The food was delicious and surprisingly light. The total bill for the two of us came to around €150 including aperitfs and a decent bottle of wine, which we thought reasonable. The concept of a cover charge is now really outdated but, if you object in principle, just deduct it from your tip. We would definitely return and based on our dining experience would also consider staying at the hotel.

1  Thank top-trippers
ArthotelBlaueGans, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Blaue Gans, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2018

A wonderful consideration top-trippers!
Just let us know when you want to come and we will surely find a good place to sleep for you.
best regards,
Marketing Assistant

Reviewed June 23, 2018 via mobile

A very special hotel on the Main Street in the old Town.
A modern art hotel within a historic building, staff are welcoming and happy to help with any question.
We did the package deal that included dinner and wine in their accompanying Resturant a great meal, and some extra gifts in our room.
Location is central and a spring board to many of the attractions Salzburg has to offer.

1  Thank Skiaussie
ArthotelBlaueGans, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Blaue Gans, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2018

Dear Skiaussie,
wonderful that our goosebumps package gave you goose bumps as well.
best regards
Marketing Assistant

Reviewed May 21, 2018 via mobile

After the Barenboim concert we rushed over to eat lunch. The maitre’d accommodated us within 10 minutes. Very long wait, very busy, with a very nice staff. Wiener schnitzel and fries chicken dishes excellent! It started pouring and the Restau was equipped to handle this in the outside sitting area. We continued with our lunch happily. Perfect for lunch.

Reviewed April 3, 2018

This place is overrated, overpriced and the service is horrible. I truly do not understand why you people recommend this restaurant. The food, in particular the two different schnitzels we have chosen, tasted cheap–even cheaper then the ones you buy in a supermarket. I was not impressed by the (low) quality while you should expect a certain amount of quality when you pay €24 for three small pieces of schnitzel and a potatoes salad. During dinner I became quite annoyed how the waiter(s) acted. Of course, I do understand that you are trying to get as much money out of my wallet as you can, but if we only decide for a main dish, then it is only a main dish. I wouldn't waste money on more food if I cannot stomach it. So, please do not be pushy if we decide not to have more (unwanted) food or drinks. Also, be aware that you have to pay €3,00 per person for their supposedly "gedeck Menü", it means that you must pay €3,00 p.p. for your plates and cutleries. However, I suppose if you bring your own plates and cutleries they would deduct this price?! Oh c'mon guys, even at Michelin starred restaurants I have eaten they don't charge such a thing! Do you expect us to eat from the pan with our hands? The funny thin is, they did not mention the "gedeck Menü" charge on their menu. This is absolutely not transparent. Customers do not want to be surprised when they see the bill! Don't you people understand that? Only what was even more remarkable was the way the staff acted, which was entirely inappropriate. My cousin and I are from Asian descent, but that doesn't necessarily gives you reason enough to treat us differently then native Western people. This mannerism was even more profound when we decided not to give a tip, because even though the waiter commented on a very unfriendly tone that, "it is normal to tip in Austria," it doesn't necessarily mean that I have to. If I find the service poor, I wouldn't tip you. In the end I put 4 undeserved Euros on the table while in my head I wanted to throw that money to the counter, but I didn't do that. Also, please be more subtle when you talk about us or other 'foreign' people to your colleagues. I may not be able to reply in German perfectly, but I do understand German. I am a very proud, well educated Dutch woman, fyi, but you didn't know that, because you were already prejudiced only because of our colours. I truly found this place disgraceful and it is an utter shame that our experience at this restaurant has put such a permanent mark on the continuation of our trip in Salzburg that even a few days later I am still annoyed with it.

5  Thank Huyen N