“Definitely a must-do in Salzburg!”

Augustiner Braustubl
Ranked #1 of 21 Nightlife in Salzburg
Reviewed November 4, 2013

One of the greatest places in Salzburg where you can enjoy tradiotional food, cheap but great beer and meet up with a larger group of friends. A favourite among the locals and the perfect location to start the night before going out in the city.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

I went to the Augustiner beerhall with some local friends, having never been to a real beerhall before. Without my friends to explain things to me the experience would have been more difficult. The beerhall seems to be a "local" thing, where the patrons know how to order the beer and how to get food. If you just walked in off the street (which would be difficult because of its location) it would be difficult to figure out how to get the beer and food. Other reviewers have explained how everything is done so I won't go through it.

What was so great to me was the social aspect to the hall. The beer is weak - you can drink a liter and not be intoxicated, so you sit there, drink your beer, talk, and munch on the food that you can purchase in the food stalls in the hallways. It was just an wonderful feeling of camaraderie, both because of the people at our table and also because it seemed that the rest of the people there were experiencing the same thing. Very, very different than a bar in the United States.

Later in our trip we went to the Hofbrauhaus in Munich. Very different and not nearly as enjoyable. Way, way too tourist - almost a production. While it appeared that most of the people at Augustiner were locals, everyone at the Hofbrauhaus was a tourist.

I'm no expert on beerhalls so perhaps there are others that are as enjoyable, but this one was a wonderful experience for me. When people ask me what was the highlight of my trip to northern Europe, I tell them "The Beerhall in Salzburg!"

3  Thank P Michael H
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

I loved this place. The traditional brewery, in a beautiful monastery, with affordable and refreshing beer. The food court is fun, has a wide variety and the place is Attended by locals. Not a trendy and young bar or pub. It was a week day afternoon and the place was full of elderly locals, but that made me feel good about being off the beaten path as well as pleased to see how the old ones can have a life in this beautiful country.

1  Thank LGPBRASIL
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We had a fun time at this beer garden, You walk in grab the size stein of beer you want, wait in line to pay & rinse out your mug & take your receit over to get your beer poured. It was fast & easy process, then walk down hall to pick out your favorite food from the different vendors they have. We had a pretzel, which was big & soft, not hard. very good taste. Also had there bratwurt with great sauerkraut, which was not sour, but more sweet, very good flavor, enjoyed the whole meal. We had great time hanging out enjoying atmosphere. I recommend stopping here if you enjoy good beer & food.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Great old school beer hall catch it while you can you can even smoke in one of the massive rooms just like the old days,if you have never been to one check it,mostly locals but you do get a few tourists through the door