“Best hostel I have stayed in”

Yoho International Youth Hostel
Singapore, Singapore
“Best hostel I have stayed in”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Stayed in a 6-bed mixed dorm with private shower. The room and toilet was very clean and spacious, unlike other hostels I have been to. There are limited power sockets in the room (about 3 or 4) but it was not a problem for us and the other guests in our room. Rooms and lockers are accessible by their keycard, which makes it very secure. Lockers are huge enough to store big haversacks and travel luggages. Rooms are pretty soundproof so if there is noise at night from outside, you just have to close the windows. Rooms are also equipped with heaters. The shower is great, both warm and cold. :)

Reception is 24h and the front hostel doors are locked after a certain time at night for added security. Staff are extremely friendly and helpful with making your stay a pleasant one in Salzburg. There are also many maps and activity brochures available in the hostel so you can be well-informed about what to do in the area.

The hostel screens Sound of Music everyday at 7pm in a common room, and it was a nice experience watching it with other guests. Apart from this, the hostel also allows you to rent DVDs and have book exchanges, which is wonderful because I don't see this in the other hostels I have stayed in before. There are many communal rooms - specifically a reading room and a common area where you can hang out with friends and such. The hostel also serves meals but we did not manage to try them.

Overall a great hostel to stay in when in Salzburg. In fact the best hostel I have stayed in out of the many I have been to within my 4 month trip around Europe. Location is fantastic, just 5-10 minutes walk from main sites like the central station, Mirabell Gardens, and so on. Only thing I did not like was though the Wifi was available throughout the hostel, it can be spotty at times but this is not a major problem at all. Highly recommend Yoho!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 29, 2014

I stayed in a 6-bed female only room for 3 nights in March and would definitely come again.

Room: The room was excellent, with sturdy wooden double-decker beds. The mattress was extremely comfortable, and you are given fresh sheets when you check in and have to remove the used sheets, pillowcase and duvet cover when you check-out, so the bedding is really fresh and clean. Rooms itself were airy, bright, very well-maintained and furniture looked new. Really spacious large lockers operated by keycard, which comfortably fit my luggage. Top notch.

Showers/toilets: Showers and toilets were in separate rooms. Toilets were clean and well-maintained, there are separate cubicles for male and female guests. There are 4 showers on each floor, 1 floor of which is male-only, 1 floor female-only, and 1 floor mixed. I was really impressed with the shower rooms which were very very very clean and brightly lit and new-looking as I am very picky about showers and have had some dreadful experiences, but these were brilliant. Sinks and mirrors in the shower rooms plus hairdryers - fab!

Communal areas: I didn't really spend much time in the communal areas, bar and can't say much about them. How busy it is really seems to vary, as the first day I was there, the communal areas, dining room, bar etc were all packed and the next day there were only two people there! I really like how the hostel screens The Sound of Music every night at 7pm in the dining room as it was a big reason for my visiting Salzburg in the first place, so that was a big plus. This is the sort of hostel where you can keep to yourself or socialise and meet new people, so not a particularly rowdy 'young' hostel.

Location: Fab. Approx 10 mins from the train station / central bus station, so really convenient. The city centre is approx 15 minutes in the opposite direction.

Food: The only meals I ate at the hostel was breakfast, which starts at 730am and is 3,50 E, buffet-style. There is coffee, tea, several juices, yogurt, milk, two types of cereal, muesli, toast and spreads/jams, cheese, salami, rye bread and some soft white rolls. This was a pretty good deal for the cost and I would definitely recommend it... it may help to be early as one day the salami ran out within the first half hour!

Staff: Staff were helpful and spoke great English. The check-in and check-out process was simple (I booked via hostelbookers), and you can also book day tours and buy the Salzburg card (24 hrs only I think) at the hostel, which makes life easier. Also free maps, etc.

Misc: Free wifi in the hostel which was great. My room didn't have loads of power sockets so if you have lots of devices to charge, this may be problematic. You can rent various things from the hostel and I rented a converter for electrical sockets, but must say that I was quite surprised at how high the deposit was - 20E!!! I did return it safe and sound and got my deposit back, but that's a really large deposit and may be tricky for travellers who are particularly cash-strapped. It definitely gave me a panic moment when I couldn't remove my iphone charger from it.

On the whole I'd definitely come and stay at Yoho again if I was coming to Salzburg. Great experiences and will definitely use Yoho hostels in other locations too.

1 Thank effloresce
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 25, 2014

When we booked online, we had to book a 4-person dorm (for 2 people) since there weren't any private rooms available, but when we arrived, they instantly upgraded us to a private double room. The private room is in a small offshoot of the hostel, which kept it very private and quiet (plus we had our own balcony). For the price, it was really great value. I liked that they showed Sound of Music every night (though I'm sure it sucks for the employees) and when we couldn't decide what to eat for dinner, Yoho Hostel offered filling meals at decent prices. I love how there's unlimited salad included with the meals. I like veggies and it's hard to find meals with a lot of veggies in it while in Austria. The location is decent. Within walking distance of the train station & relatively easy to find with the directions they give you supplemented by the directions we got from the train station information desk. It's also within walking distance of pretty much everywhere in Salzburg (it's not a huge city). We were very pleased with our experience. I can see why it's recommended as a "Europe's Famous Hostel".

Room Tip: We had a private room which is off in the side. Very quiet with a balcony & quite spacious.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank crsgrl1223
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed March 20, 2014

We stayed here for 1 night as part of a group, the rooms were average only one powerpoint for the 6 of us girls, same for the boys. We were part of a group of about 20, they put the girls on the second floor, next to the male showers and the boys on the 3rd floor next to the female showers....not sure why in such a big group they would do that, but for 1 night it wasn't too bad.
They do show The Sound of Music 24/7, its not one of our favourite things.
They have a decent sized chill out room with nice comfy couches which was awesome.

The bar is tiny, but they do have one incredibly awesome deal. If you spend over 3 Euros they give you a receipt and you can claim a free pasta after 7pm! I don't think you would find many hostels in the world, let alone Europe that would do that kind of deal, oh and by the way the pasta was delicious!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 10, 2014

This hostel was close to the train station, it's about a 10 minute walk and the staff in the hostel very friendly. I was in the 6 bed female with ensuite bathroom on the 2nd floor, the dorm room was spacious, with comfortable beds and the room had swipe card access lockers, however, the room only had one power point which had an extension on it for 3 plugs, no dramas though.
The hostel was clean, had large common room spaces and felt secure.
There were hair dryers in the female bathrooms.
When you check in you are given a very good map of Salzburg with 3 different walking options outlined on it, I'd recommend all 3, it's easy to do in one day and gives you some very good views over the city.
Overall, I'd recommend this hostel and I'd stay here again if I am ever in Salzburg.

Ireland
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I stayed in this hostel at the weekend. It's a good location in terms of distance from the train station, the food and drink are good (especially happy hour offers), and it has wifi and shows the Sound of Music every evening.

However, I had a huge problem in regards to how noisy it was. The room I was in was located at the front of the hostel, just above reception, so I could hear very loud groups of people coming into the hostel at 1am, 2am, 4am. I even heard a member of staff telling one group to be quiet. It was impossible to get a good night's sleep because of this, so I would recommend that you ask for a room near the back of the hostel or bring ear plugs. Maybe if the hostel are reading this, please could you ensure that there is better insulation in the front-facing rooms so that occupants will not be woken up by disruptive drunk people?

1 Thank MirandaIreland
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Great hostel, clean, good price, nice bar and food. After a few drinks watching the sound of music in the hostel (shown every night) was quite fun, but if you do not fancy it then there is a lounge and internet, book swap and free wifi. Not quite in the centre but not far plus about 10 mins walk from train station (tops) and an easy walk you can do it with a suitcase on wheels. Staff v good and knowledgable

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo