“I Loved Salzburg!”

and up
Salzburg Sightseeing City Cruise on Salzach River
Ranked #3 of 169 things to do in Salzburg
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We were staying in Vienna and took a day trip to Salzburg on an alleged "Sound of Music Tour". While the tour guide told us very little about Salzburg and the Sound of Music, he did know a lot about Mozart! We loved the beauty of Salzburg, and we could have stayed on the bridge over the Salz River for a long, long time! What scenery! We gave up on the tour and my daughter downloaded Rick Steves Salzburg, which saved the day. We had a great time! Oh, we did get something from the tour about the Sound of Music. They played it on the bus on our return to Vienna!

Write a ReviewReviews (8,268)
All reviews
in 140 reviews
"austria"
in 269 reviews

Reviewed September 2, 2013

I didn't know what to expect, and as soon as we emerged into the forst lane away form the traffic road, it was if we had stepped back a hundred or more years in time. I walked around with a smile on my face the entire time. Music here and there, restaurants and shops everywhere, gorgeous churches and squares, horse-drawn carriages and all of it, set among narrow, ancient walkways beneath a massive castle and the Abbey made famous by the Sound of Music. This is one of the most magical little areas I have ever seen.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We could see that this small city once had the potential to be a quaint tourist attraction. The connection with Mozart was certainly evident and the gardens were very pretty with the summer flowers. However, the tourist crowds made the excursion to Saltzburg much less enjoyable than expected. We went on a Danube River cruise which was wonderful but this excursion was not worth the cost. We went in high season and maybe it is less crowded at other times of the year.

1  Thank AlPesa_13
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Must see! Lovely place "old town" and the people are nice! So many lovely gardens and places to visit and eat! Old world at its finest!

1  Thank tuffone
See more reviews
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I booked my tour with Munich-Direct.com as my previous experience was very good. This time Valerie led our group and was very gracious and insured that we learned much of this history while maintaining a pace that allowed us to see everything. Our free time was adequate and I will look forward to my next visit as there is so much to see and do. Next time, the Salt Mines!