“Freshly Remodeled and Perfect Host”

Ranked #5 of 132 Hotels in Salzburg
Reviewed May 7, 2014

I stayed at the Schloss Leopoldskron in the Mierhoff building when I was visiting Salzburg and let me start by saying it is just beautiful. I had read many reviews from others before the remodel and I was a bit hesitant but I was just astounded at the work that has gone into the remodeling. The rooms are brightly painted and have all new furniture. The bathroom was large and had outlets for me to plug my appliances into and was well supplied new hairdryers and towels in the rooms. I slept like a dream with the windows open and the birds chirping on the bedding. There was a flat screen Tv and lots of closet space. The WIFI was great in the room so I was able to catch up with my emails. The staff was so kind. They immediately walk you to your room upon check in showing you the hotel in the process. They stay to make sure you have everything you need before they leave. I awoke Easter morning to find chocolate easter bunnies and easter eggs at my door. I was so surprised and delighted as I had almost forgot about the holiday tradition as I am no longer a child and do not expect an Easter Basket. The receptionist were helpful at recommending restaurants and things to see. I asked the front desk to book the Sound of Music tour for me and they did so even arranging for the tour van to pick me up at the hotel prior to the tour. The breakfast was amazing and the chef even makes little breads in animal shapes that are served to your table. On the buffet were eggs, bacon, sausages, breads, cakes, jams, oatmeal, yogurt and many more items. Hot teas, cold juices and coffees were available to all guest. The wait staff was just as attentive as the check in staff making sure our used plates were clean and we had everything we required. The Schloss itself was beautiful and all the rooms were oipen for viewing. The library was warm and inviting and the formal sitting rooms beautiful. We spent many hours just walking the grounds watching the ducklings wander. The view from the Schloss and the Mierhoff was of the lake Leopoldskron and could be considered entertaining all by itself. The grounds are very well kept and even the gardner waved as he passed by. Upon checkout I asked to see the manager just to tell him how much I enjoyed my stay and that I would be back. I am just elated as to the serenity of this place and the hospitality. On another note a cab ride to town is just 8 Euros and will save you the hassle of parking downtown and the fees that are associated with it. I also mention the hotel offers free parking.

Room Tip: The Schloss has the best rooms in the house but if you stay in the Mierhoff Building make sure to ge...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank tracy8358
danielszelenyi, General Manager at Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

Dear tracy8358

Thank you very much for your detailed review about your recent stay with us. As I mentioned to you upon your departure already, I was very happy to learn how much you enjoyed your time with us and in Salzburg.

We spent a lot of time designing our new rooms and adding sufficient outlets for electrical devices was a key factor both in the bathrooms and bedrooms. I am pleased you liked our little Easter touches, too.

Thanks again for your kind review. Our team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Salzburg in the future!

Reviewed May 7, 2014

Leopoldskron is one of the most beautiful and sympathetic hotels we've been before. The hotel is situated in a wide park on a small lake. The room where we've slept was situated in the Meierhof beneath the castle. It was very spacious, had a great view over the lake and into the Alps. The city centre is within walking distance. We've chosen for our tour through Salzburg the cycles, which are free of charge for the hotel guests. The service team is very polite, never obstrusive. Compliment to Mrs. Karin Maurer and Mr. Daniel Szelényi. The room were very clean. The breakfast was sumptuos. It is a great thing that every guest of the hotel can walk through the whole castle, take a seat in the cabinet rooms, have a look into the library, walk through the extensive parc. So that creates a very familiar situation, feels like beeing at home. Only the service team at the breakfast is a little bit to fast: they take the plates every time they see an emty one. So this is a little bit irritating. We've had a amazing and great stay at the hotel and the city of Salzburg.

Room Tip: The rooms in the first floor in the Meierhof with lakeview are the most beautiful ones. The rooms in...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear BernhardvZ

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay at Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay so much and appreciate your feedback on our breakfast service, something I will address personally with our team.

Again, thank you for your kind review. I look forward to welcoming you and your fiancé back to Salzburg soon.

Reviewed April 20, 2014

We stayed here two nights last week as part of our road trip through Bavaria and it was the perfect way to end our trip. This hotel was used for part of the Sound of Music filming and is rich in Salzburg history. There are two buildings, one with suites and one with "smaller" rooms. The suites have not been renovated and therefore are still decorated and look similar to how they have probably looked for 50 years. The other building was incredible though - rooms renovated just weeks ago with Restoration Hardware like decor. Our room was huge and had an incredible view of the lake!

The breakfast buffet which is included with the room was HUGE and delicious, served in the ballroom of the main house. The room itself left us in awe. The service at the hotel was impeccable the whole time. Our favorite moment at the hotel was sitting on the gorgeous veranda, overlooking the lake, at sunset with a glass of champagne.

Check out my blog - A Healthy, Happier Bear - for more pictures and images.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Ashdiamond83
danielszelenyi, General Manager at Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Dear Ashdiamond83

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron.

I am pleased to hear how much enjoyed your stay with us and would like to thank you for your comments on your Premium Double Room in the (recently renovated) Meierhof building. The building with the suites is the Schloss itself, where we also serve our daily breakfast.

Again, thank you for your feedback. I am glad you take such lovely memories home with you and look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Salzburg in the future.

P.S. Great blog!

Reviewed April 15, 2014

I stayed at the hotel for one night on a business trip last week. The room in the historic building was freshly renovated and provided a cosy atmosphere. The check in/out staff as well as the breakfast waiters were extremely friendly. The entire estate is very charming. The bar was only partially refurbished but I didn't bother as the cake I ate there was really delicious. I look forward to going there again on a private trip with my family.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Lukas H
danielszelenyi, General Manager at Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Dear Lukas H

Thank you for your kind review of your recent stay at Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron. I am pleased to hear you had such a great experience and enjoyed the atmosphere of our newly renovated rooms in the Meierhof.

Indeed, the café is yet to receive its bar counter (which will arrive next week!) but I am glad you enjoyed our fresh homemade cake.

I look forward to welcoming you back along with your family! Once again, thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

My wife and I attended a wedding at the Schloss on Saturday 8th March. We stayed in the Meierhof which had been refurbished only 2 weeks before we had arrived. My wife and I were blown away firstly by the beautiful location and secondly, the quality of the rooms. The service at the hotel was impeccable from start to finish and most importantly including the day of the wedding.
My only reservation about this hotel was there was no evening meal service or bar within the property but my understanding is they are in the process of getting something put in place. This however was such a small issue as they have a good relationship with the restaurant next door and the service and food there was also excellent.
I can 100% recommend this hotel to anybody who is looking for an experience in Salzburg and will consider staying at the hotel again when I return to Salzburg.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank darusso99
danielszelenyi, General Manager at Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Dear darusso99

Thank you for your kind review about Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron.

What a beautiful wedding it was indeed! Also, I am delighted you enjoyed our newly refurbished rooms as well as the quality of our service.

Again, thanks for your review and looking forward to welcoming you back to Salzburg!

Reviewed February 9, 2014

If my mother hadn't spoken German we would have never known you could stay here from the website (I think it's being updated as we speak), but so glad that we did. The house on the lake is just as beautiful as pictured in the movie. The rooms in the main house are a great size, especially for Europe, and breakfast is severed in the ballroom as featured in the movie. We had a great stay

Room Tip: go for the main house!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
danielszelenyi, General Manager at Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

Dear Nicole H

Thank you very much for your review of Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron, I am pleased to hear you had a great stay!

We are indeed currently updating our website and we are also renovating our rooms, hallways, Lobby, Reception, and Café in the Meierhof building (all renovations will be completed by the end of February 2014) so stay tuned for our brand new rooms, facilities and website.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to Salzburg, thank you again for your review!

Reviewed January 15, 2014

The extra cost of the main palace rooms is worth every Euro. The view is remarkable from the top floor facing the lake. Sound of music scene. Minimal staff visible. You feel like you own the place. Feel free to explore. There are many hidden rooms and conversation (this is a place used for diplomacy and leadership seminars) nooks. While you discover those spots, imagine for amoment some of the possible world impacting decisions made in those old wodden chairs. The breakfast room is phenomenal with 30+ foot ceiling adorned with 200+ year old paintings which tell so many stories. Read up on the history before you go or read about it in their broucher. Take a walk aroudn the lake for a view of the palace and the fortress in the backdrop. Walk the stairs as often as you can, they're a museum in themselves. See if you can find the ping pong room. Gievn the nature of the venue, I'm sure the likes of Winston Churchill, Sandra Day O'Conner, and Nelson Mandela have spent a few hours matching their paddle skills against one another there.

Room Tip: Lake view is best. Fortress View is also good. Top floor rooms for any view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
danielszelenyi, General Manager at Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Dear spaceflight

Thank you very much for your review of Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron.

I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed exploring the Schloss (a privilege reserved to our guests as the Schloss is otherwise not publicly accessible); our rich history is certainly one of our biggest USPs, if only the walls could talk...

I am glad you had such a memorable experience and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Once again, thank you very much for your review!