“17th Century Time Capsule”

Ranked #6 of 132 Hotels in Salzburg
“17th Century Time Capsule”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

The extra cost of the main palace rooms is worth every Euro. The view is remarkable from the top floor facing the lake. Sound of music scene. Minimal staff visible. You feel like you own the place. Feel free to explore. There are many hidden rooms and conversation (this is a place used for diplomacy and leadership seminars) nooks. While you discover those spots, imagine for amoment some of the possible world impacting decisions made in those old wodden chairs. The breakfast room is phenomenal with 30+ foot ceiling adorned with 200+ year old paintings which tell so many stories. Read up on the history before you go or read about it in their broucher. Take a walk aroudn the lake for a view of the palace and the fortress in the backdrop. Walk the stairs as often as you can, they're a museum in themselves. See if you can find the ping pong room. Gievn the nature of the venue, I'm sure the likes of Winston Churchill, Sandra Day O'Conner, and Nelson Mandela have spent a few hours matching their paddle skills against one another there.

Room Tip: Lake view is best. Fortress View is also good. Top floor rooms for any view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
danielszelenyi, General Manager at Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear spaceflight

Thank you very much for your review of Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron.

I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed exploring the Schloss (a privilege reserved to our guests as the Schloss is otherwise not publicly accessible); our rich history is certainly one of our biggest USPs, if only the walls could talk...

I am glad you had such a memorable experience and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Once again, thank you very much for your review!

Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Sterling, Virginia
Reviewed January 1, 2014

My husband and I stayed here in December to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. The Schloss Leopoldskron was everything we had dreamed about and more! We stayed in the Max Reinhardt suite and it took our breath away. The suite was extremely spacious---a grand living room/dining room, bedroom, kitchette, bathroom, and foyer. The views were stunning! I could have just sat at the windowsill for hours. We had full view of the mountain, the lake, and the famous horse statues and patio (see pictures included with this review). There was also a secret passageway to the library that led from our suite. The staff couldn't have been nicer and were very welcoming. Breakfast was in the grand ballroom and we had full access to the other beautiful rooms in the Schloss as well. I simply cannot say enough about the Schloss. It was a Sound of Music fan's dream come true and literally brought tears to my eyes. To be standing lakeside in the morning in the same place where Julie Andrews stood was an incredible experience I'll never forget. With squinting I could just barely make out the tourists on the other side of the lake where the Sound of Music tours briefly stop. That's the closest those fans get to the Schloss without actually staying on the property. What a shame that they don't realize they could have stayed here and been able to fully appreciate the movie setting! I would encourage anyone, ANYONE, thinking of staying here to do so! And, if you can, reserve one of the lakeside suites. It is worth the money and you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: The Max Reinhardt suite is incredibly spacious and beautiful with stunning views of the lake and mou...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank April R
danielszelenyi, General Manager at Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear April R

Thank you for your kind review of Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron.

I am happy to read how much you enjoyed your stay at the Schloss and I appreciate your comments on our staff.

We are very fortunate to have such wonderful views from the Schloss: the Untersberg mountain just opposite and lake in the front are truly magical and our South facing suites and Premium Meierhof rooms all boast these stunning vistas.

The Sound of Music is another important element of the Schloss and adds to the unique atmosphere, especially our two magic horses. As the Schloss is a private property, visiting the horse statues, park, and gardens is a privilege reserved to guests staying with us. As is exploring the Schloss itself, its public areas, and chapel, so I am glad you managed to discover everything, even our secret stairway!

Thank you once again for your kind review and hopefully we will be able to welcome you back on your next anniversary!

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Did you ever imagine to stay in a real historical building with modern comfort? You must stay here. 5 year daughter was excited by all old furniture, lights etc. We investigated every place, except rooms and suites.
The only unpleasant was that they made a reservation on my mastercard and instead using reservation when paying, they make a new charge to my MC. Unpleasant and not acceptable.

Dear SeemBorci

Thank you for your review of Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron.

I am pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to explore the Schloss and all our historic public rooms, a privilege exclusive to hotel guests.

At the same time, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience regarding your MasterCard. Our Reservations Department is currently investigating what happened but please rest assured that you will of course not be charged twice for this reservation.

Once again, thank you very much for your feedback.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 29, 2013

The Schloss is a wonderful place surrounded by amazing scenery. While the rooms were somewhat tired and dated, the interior of the building itself is exquisite. The staff was also helpful and frendly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Pichamon Y

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. I am pleased to read your comments on our staff, which I will be happy to pass on.

I have to agree, our rooms are a bit dated. This is why we are undergoing a comprehensive renovation over the next months, bringing our rooms, hallways, public areas and the Reception in the Meierhof building up to modern standards. By March everything should be sparkling, fresh, and new, whereby the unique atmosphere and ambiance of the Schloss will be maintained. Stay tuned and follow us on Facebook for updates on the refurbishment...

Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 27, 2013

The grounds and breakfast hall, stairs and library live up to every expectation an more. You must stay in a suite in the front of the main building for the full wow factor: Waking up in the morning to that lake and mountain view was outstanding: The room decor is not plush by any modern standards, but for value for money, it is brilliant, and the fruit bowl is a nice touch: and overall the place amazing: Breakfast is great, service fantastic and we really enjoyed the whole experience. I could not recommend it enough. It is not a corporate hotel, it is quirky and different, as it is an educational establishment, but see past that and you see a place with real depth, that's different, special, unique. Take time to wander the rooms of the palace. My son was allowed to play the baby grand, and filled the room with Ludovicio Inaudi music, which it longs for,

Room Tip: Room 35 is excellent - facing the lake: We had 35 and 36 for the kids.
Dear Barholomew B

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us, I am pleased to hear how much you enjoyed the Schloss!

We are indeed a little 'different' but most importantly, we are authentic and - as you say - unique. I am also glad you found time to explore the Schloss, wandering through and discovering the historic rooms is only one of the many privileges our guests enjoy.

Shame I missed your son's piano performance, the sound of the baby grand filling up the Great Hall is always very special!

Wallingford, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 23, 2013

As we are Hoteliers, and spend at least three months of the year in Hotels, we are very critical guests, so before I being I would like to say that you MUST stay at this hotel. Its quite unique.
It's truly a grand palace with breathtaking rooms, artwork, gardens and lake.
Not only this, but all of the palace rooms are available to guests to use. We are only used to being taken on guided tours of such properties, but here you really can USE the library, or take your coffee into the Chinese drawing room. An unforgettable expereince.
Not only this, but if you book a suite (which are very reasonably priced), you can stay in the Palace itself. We had a room with a huge lounge, separate bedroom and ensuite. All of which were newly renovated and furnished to a very high level sympathetic to the period of the building. We could not fault the Suite at all except the lack of tea/coffee making facilities. Although this is quite often the case in German speaking countries. In this case there were many English and American visitors at the hotel who would all expect this facility. Its not expensive to install, and the room certainly had the space for it.
The second fault of the room was the internet. Unfortunately it was so slow that most internet pages would not load. I would not be disappointed if a building like this did not have WIFI. So it would almost be better for the guests to have one room with good quality internet, rather that internet in every room that does not work.
We were recommend an excellent restaurant only 5mins walk, and we were also left some Christmas biscuits and a bottle of Sekt by the Staff in our room (thanks!).
We had our two dogs with us and the staff had kindly left feeding bowls and a blanket for them!
We were so looking forward to breakfast the next morning, which is served in the Ballroom, complete with original chandeliers - stunning.
However, although we tried not to be, we were disappointed.
The atmosphere was very strange. This was due to the huge tables and silence. In such a large room, there needs to be background music so that people are not to shy to speak. Also they should take out some of the huge tables and put in a few smaller ones, it feels very strange for two people to eat at a table for 12. It was not just us that felt this, we spoke to other guests who felt the same.
The breakfast was adequate, and we would not have had a problem at all with a slightly limited choice except that half of it was empty when we arrived.
Because they used a huge table to lay it out, it looked like there was not much food (even though it was enough). Make the table smaller and it won't look half empty!
The water in the tea-earn was only luke-warm and the coffee cup warmer was turned off (I turned it on for them), so my coffee was only luke-warm but the time I got back to my table.
We asked for some fried eggs as we do in every hotel, but were told "we don't do that". This is strange as even tiny two star hotels do eggs, after bread,they are the cheapest part of a breakfast.
There were so many staff around, and so much table space, that I would have put a member of staff with an electric hob on the table to fry or scramble eggs for guests. You don't need a Chef for that.
However, towards the end of our breakfast, some eggs were delivered. I hope the other guests also got theirs in the end!
So in conclusion, these are such easy problems to fix and I hope they will be, because we must insist that you try this hotel.
I think that if these faults were fixed, it might rank in our top 10.
It also compares very well in price to other hotels in Salzburg, and was only a €10 taxi into the centre.
Thanks for a great stay.

Room Tip: Only stay if you can stretch to a Suite.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Little-Gables-BandB
danielszelenyi, General Manager at Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Dear pauledwardreeves

Thank you very much for your detailed review of your recent stay, I always appreciate valuable feedback from fellow hoteliers.

First of all, I am pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your suite and I am happy you were able to take advantage of exploring our public rooms in the Schloss, it's one of the unique privileges our guests enjoy while staying at Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron.

I appreciate your comments on the internet, this is something we are currently looking into. The library and other public areas all have complimentary Wi-Fi but we are still having some issues in the rooms, after all, it's a 277 year old castle with rather massive walls.

Thank you for your comments on the breakfast, I was disappointed to read about the issues you experienced and would like to apologize for not meeting your expectations. At the same time I can assure you that these points are being addressed: we are currently in the process of revamping our breakfast and will be making some significant changes shortly. Although for the near future we will unfortunately not be able to offer a-la-carte egg service, I am convinced you will be positively surprised by the differences we are implementing in 2014 next time you come back.

The lack of music was a slip, sorry about that, we normally always have classical music accompanying our breakfast - the Marble Hall without music is indeed not ideal.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and comments. I do look forward to welcoming you and your partner along with your lovely dogs back to Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron in the near future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance in the meantime.

Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

The place which you will regret if you didnt go there .
Photos gives you 1% of the place great details.
Most perfect staff you will ever meet... Food is great.. Everything is great.
I attended session 507 for salzburg global seminar .

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
danielszelenyi, General Manager at Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Makram

Thank you for your review about your recent stay and the kind compliments about our staff; I will be sure to pass them on.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay in Salzburg and look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron in the future!

Schloss Leopoldskron & Meierhof