“A wonderful surprise.”

Dining options: Reservations
Utah
“A wonderful surprise.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

We hate to go to restaurants on vacation unless we have searched tripadvisor for suggestions or asked the locals, but we were in Salzburg and we hadn't had time to search or ask anyone and our kids were complaining, so we just hopped off the bus when we saw a restaurant and went in. It was a good move. At first, I was skeptical--Meli & Melo was deserted. It looked nice and clean, but no one was there except for a server. He helped us push two tables together and got us menus. The food on the menu was a mix of Italian and African. We ordered a Margherita pizza, some pasta (linguine with eggs, bacon, and alfredo sauce), and some salads. I ordered a very basic salad (the cheapest thing on the menu) and my wife got a more fancy one. My concerns about the wisdom of eating here were increased when some more restaurant workers arrived (the owner, I think, and the server's brother, who spoke better English and, therefore, took our order) and the owner sat at the bar and started smoking. My family and I are non-smokers and it is very unappetizing to eat surrounded by smoke. Thankfully, he went outside after a few minutes. Then the server went downstairs and emerged with some salad fixings. This also worried me because I started to wonder "Is salad so rarely ordered that they have to go into the basement to get ingredients?" Then I went downstairs (to use the toilet) and was surprised and pleased to find that they were spotless and very well-maintained. Then our food arrived and it was DELICIOUS! Every single thing we had was fantastic! The pasta with eggs and bacon was so tasty--we're going to have to figure out how to make this back home! The pizza was great and the salads were so good! My very basic salad was huge and had a balsamic vinegar-based dressing that was super-tasty. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone. Go! (NOTE: Because we have young children, we pretty much always eat early, which may explain the deserted-ness of the restaurant.)

• Visited April 2012