“Best place to stay in Salzburg”

Hotel Sacher Salzburg
Ranked #6 of 132 Hotels in Salzburg
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Everything about this hotel was charming. The rooms were clean, bright and well appointed. Perhaps the lobby is a bit "overdone" but the service makes up for it. From the gentleman who checked us in (Gerhard?) to the amazingly helpful porters, I would definitely return.
The restaurant served incredible food, perhaps our favorite dinner on the whole trip, and the breakfast (included in room price) was for sure the best we had out of all 4 hotels we stayed in on our Austrian trip. Centrally located and of course plenty of Sacher Tortes within arms reach. For sure, stay here!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

The Sacher probably has not changed much in the past 50 years, which makes some things cool (e.g., staff uniforms, sitting room overlooking the river), but many things less than perfect (furnishings are tired, Internet is totally unreliable). Rooms with river view can't be beat.

Restaurants were fine, but not exceptional. We didn't think the full breakfast was worth the extra cost.

Most of staff was great... funny and friendly. Heidi in the restaurant was particularly Unfortunately, we did witness a manager verbally abusing a housekeeper, which was a bit chilling.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed here during our honeymoon, a 12 day tour of Austria. Of all the hotels we stayed in this was certainly the best.
The customer service was excellent. The staff were so friendly, spoke excellent English and couldn't do enough to help us. When we experienced difficulty with the lock on one of our suitcases they offered to find a handyman to assist so we wouldn't have to rip open the case. Doors were opened, directions to places and other information given without us having to ask.
We were provided with free fruit, cake, chocolates and wine on our arrival - even though they knew it was out honeymoon I thought the generosity was quite overwhelming. They really made us feel like royalty.
The room was so beautiful with magnificent furnishings, a large comfy bed and gorgeous view out over the river. The TV was large and had 5 British channels - most other hotels we stayed in only had 2. The bath and bath products provided were very luxurious. We really appreciated the easy to use I-pod dock as it gave us the opportunity to listen to our own music as opposed to being restricted to the Austrian radio.
We found that the fruit was replenished and the rooms cleaned several times a day which we thought was impressive - I've never been to a hotel where they cleaned the rooms and checked the comfort of their guests so frequently.
The public areas were all really clean with antique looking furniture, really nice fabrics. Some areas seemed so posh I was frightened to touch things!
The hotel has 3 places to eat: the main restaurant, the grill and the café. All were delightful and the food was excellent quality.

I have 2 minor complaints: Firstly there is a dress code for the main restaurant which is not advertised or made clear anywhere. We were turned away on a hot day because I was in a skirt and my partner was in shorts. We had to return to our room to change before we were seated. When we were seated there were other people in the restaurant wearing jeans and sportswear so we're not entirely sure what the specifics of the dress code were!
Secondly the service in the café is incredibly slow so don't sit down and order if you only have half an hour to spare, either it won't happen or you'll be forced to rush. However I didn't feel either of these small points could deny this wonderful hotel it's 5/5 score.

This is probably the best hotel I've ever stayed in with immaculate rooms, service and delicious food. Great location, we were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go in Salzburg from here although the station is quite far, best to get a taxi. I hope to go back.

Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is lovely and the location is ideal - the staff was very helpful and kind. It's directly across from the gardens and Mozart's home. Sound of Music tour was beautiful. Yet recommended wonderful restaurants as well!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I hate paying exorbitant prices unless the hotel has something exorbitant to offer, like the bed where Ann Boleyn slept before her wedding night or a private beach where you can swim with clownfish or a view of Machu Picchu at dawn. What the Sacher in Salzburg has to offer is a kind of chocolate truffle cake the secret recipe of which was enough to catapult the humble Herr Sacher to the position of one of the great hoteliers of the world.
So they have sacher torte at breakfast, lunch and dinner and even the soap is chocolate-cake infused.
Everything is pretty impeccable and it must take a lot of effort to keep all those trimmings up to scratch, although I noticed that the trim on one of our chairs was starting to come unstuck tut tut..
On the other hand for some unaccountable reason as if to provide an antidote to all the dowager trappings, they have chosen to carpet the bedrooms in the coarsest kind of fibre matting. It was actually unpleasant to walk on the floor barefoot if not downright painful and although they provided dressing gowns and slippers, these were, as one has come to expect, designed for creatures of an extremely petite stature and foot size... so unusable.
Apart from the floor-covering there was nothing actually wrong with the place, except the jaw-dropping bill, and I came to like Sacher Torte for breakfast. But I wouldn't recommend this place for anyone under the age of 80.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Bin-Derdundhat
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed here June 25, 2013, just recently. I heavily rely on reviews from Trip Advisor and did so when booking this hotel but unfortunately I do not agree with most reviews like I usually find that I do. I travel alot so I've come to find that most of the time the reviews are spot on but not so in this case. While the location was good, the exterior and lobby were very impressive, the room did not meet the same standards. While the bed was comfortable, the room was outdated. Approaching the room, once leaving the lobby, I smelled very musty smells and viewed stained, worn carpet. It was a little warm in the room and it was raining outside so we did not open the window however, there was air conditioning. We turned it on and went to bed but it was either not working or insufficient. We did however, have a river view but for us, that did not compensate for the other issues. The breakfast buffet was very good. We ate in the dinner restaurant once and found it to be quite overpriced compared to other restaurants in the area and the food was underwhelming. In summary, we would not stay here again and would not recommend it to anyone because there are many other hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Chose another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagingDirect0r, Manager at Hotel Sacher Salzburg, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you very much for staying at Hotel Sacher Salzburg and for your effort to tell us about your visit here on TripAdvisor.
As a Leading Hotel of the World, direct guest-feedback is much importuned for us to improve continuously guest’s needs and expectations.

I´m very sorry that we did not meet completely your satisfaction with your provided guest room. Please allow me to express my sincerely apologize. Unfortunately we did not know about your dissatisfaction during your stay as we are always aimed to meet guest expectations at any time and make there stay as convenient as possible. However I will follow up on your remarks very carefully as well as with highest attentiveness to prevent any future occurrence.

Dear Guest, thank you again for telling us about your recent stay and your time. We are really hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future and to assure you that our quality of hard- & software matches highest standards as well as that you can agree with the huge positive comments here on TripAdvisor!

Sincerely

Elfi Kammerhofer
Managing Director

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We have been three times to Salzburg in the last four years and this time, last month we stayed at the Sacher. The right decision, we had a charming room with a balcony and a view of the river (through the trees). Although not a suite the sitting and sleeping areas were separate. with two chairs and and easy chair together with footstool and a large table. A great marble bathroom. The complimentary fruit was a nice touch.

There was a wide selection at the buffet breakfasts and you can order fried eggs sunny side up on toast with ham or bacon, poached eggs on toast and omelets with various ingredients, all cooked specially for you, not prepared beforehand to lie around getting cold! I liked the porridge

To be honest, although the food at dinner was generally good to excellent, we found some of the dishes not to our liking. That may have been a case of choosing the wrong dish. We had some of our evening meals in the Cafe Sacher which were less formal but nevertheless enjoyable.

The staff throughout the hotel were very friendly, attentive and professional. Any minor problem was quickly addressed.

Unfortunately, unlike our previous visits the weather was very wet with only a couple of days when it was dry enough to walk around without an umbrella (provided by the hotel).

The public rooms are magnificent.

Would certainly recommend the Hotel Sacher.