“Clean, good views, relaxing”

Gasthof Hotel Doktorwirt
Ranked #23 of 61 Salzburg B&B and Inns
“Clean, good views, relaxing”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

The hotel is a nice German style lodge that offers pool facilities and a great outdoor area overlooking the mountains.

The reception were very helpful, breakfast was great, awesome views.

Only thing was basic rooms and appeared nicer in the photos than it actually is. Still a great place to stay.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Slovak first
Banstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 13, 2011

The hotel is in an excellent position, being quiet and close to the mountains, yet a short, easy bus ride to town. The welcome was friendly and information knowledgeable. The bar was a lovely spot for a drink in the evening.

Room Tip: Do not book the large room that doubles as a conference room.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Windsor, England
Reviewed August 17, 2011

The reception we received at this gueshouse on our arrival was rather cool and unwelcoming. Because nobody answered the reception bell when we rang it (about 2.00pm), we were advised to go to the door and ring the main bell. This clearly did not go down well with Elizabeth, one of the twins whose family run the hotel. She dealt with the check in details briskly and made no attempt to engage in conversation. When I asked about the Salzburg card she said it would not be worth it because we weren't there long enough. However, the next day, I asked Caroline, the other twin, who was on reception and she priced it up carefully and said it would be well worth it, which, with hindsight, it certainly was. We were rather disappointed with our room; I had contacted the guesthouse in advance to ask how we could ensure a view of the mountains. They responded that as it was the Salzburg Festival, most of the mountain view rooms were taken, however if we upgraded to a junior suite, this would provide us with a view. Unfortunately, most of the view was of a fir tree right in front of 3 of the windows. You could just about see the view by positioning your head in the corner of one of the windows. Apart from this, the room was fairly basic wih some rather functional but not particularly clean or comfortable sofa and chairs. There was a dead spider behind the bathroom door all the time we were there. (2 nights). The spa facilities were good for a hotel of this size with an indoor and outdoor pool. We had to ask for towelling robes to use as they were not left in the room and nor were towels for the pools. The sauna cost 10 euros to use. As indicated, Caroline, on reception, was warmer and more helpful than Elizabeth and I think our initial impression would have been different if she had been there on our arrival. The staff in the restaurant were all friendly and helpful and the meals were tasty and of a very good standard.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hjtWindsor_England
Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 7, 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights and weren't disappointed. As the hotel has been run for generations the room fit the period, was spacious and clean. The buffet breakfasts were excellent and food and drinks at dinner were delicious! The hotel has smoking and non-smoking areas so as a non-smoker took a little getting used to but was completely fine. Excellent service from Carolin and the family. Went on a day-trip skiing from hotel recommendation which was fantastic and also went on some recommended local hiking trails in the snow. Beautiful! Quick bus links to the centre of Salzburg so very easy to get around. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OzChards
Toronto
Reviewed October 6, 2010

I originally booked my accommodations at the Villa Trapp in Salzburg but they experienced an overbooking and they contacted me to tell me they made arrangements with Hotel Doktorwirt. I have to say I was a bit disappointed by this news but I didn't want to dwell on it as I was already in Europe and enroute to make any changes. I arrived at the hotel early and was told I had to wait for the room - I was exhausted and really didn't want to wait but she told me about 1 hour. I left my bags and went walking around to take some pictures and see what was around. There is a bus stop a short distance away but not really much else, a few restaurants, and of course the restaurant attached to hotel. I decided to eat lunch there and was thrilled that the food was delish! I returned to check in and found they had moved my rather heavy bags up to my room. Anyhow, I can't say enough on the room, beautiful! Hard wood floors, wooden furniture, and the bed was very comfortable. The staff are very friendly.

You can take a bus to this hotel, the #6 from the train station and get off at some junction point (I think Volksgarten), and keep your transfer to take the #7 bus to Valkenauerstrasse, which takes you to the hotel. Its a short walk under some pedestrian tunnel. The ride is about 15 minutes. For transit information: http://www.stadtbus.at/media/pdf/pdf290.pdf.

Anyhow, I was glad to have stayed and would probably stay again because the customer service was A+++.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Hertfordshire
Reviewed September 27, 2009

We chose this hotel on the southern outskirts of Salzburg because we did not want to drive through the maze of narrow streets in the centre. On arrival we were offered 4 different rooms at different prices, and chose the junior suite. Overlooking the pool and the garden, the room had plenty of space, but no balcony, which did not matter because we spent the whole stay out and about. The hotel is about 100 metres from a bus-stop, and you can be in the city centre in 10 minutes. Buses run every 15 minutes, like clockwork. We ate in the hotel restaurant twice out of our 3 nights, and the food was excellent, as others have said too. The breakfast buffet, in a different part of the hotel, was fine as well.

My only complaint, and the reason I did not give the review five stars, was the exceptionally rude check-out. When I came to pay the bill, the receptionist was on the phone. I waited politely for a few moments, but the phone-call just went on and on. I understand enough German to know it was a private call. Eventually, as I began to show signs of impatience, the receptionist reluctantly printed off my bill and processed my credit card, all without a single word to me. As I left she was still on the phone. She did not even interrupt herself to say goodbye! For this single reason I would not recommend the hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Puffin77
Midlands, UK
Reviewed September 13, 2009

We have stayed at the Doktorwirt many times and never been disappointed. On this last trip we ate almost all our meals there and I have to say we've never eaten so well anywhere else in Salzburg. The Schnoell family are superb and dedicated hoteliers who know how to please their guests and diners. The variety of food is excellent too, catering for all tastes. Even better there are now non-smoking dining rooms. We will never stay anywhere else during our many trips to Salzburg.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple