“Not very nice :-(”

and 1 more site!
Gasthaus Hinterbruehl
Ranked #14 of 62 Salzburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We also got charged for the entire stay before we arrived, which is not what normally happens with Booking.com? The people who checked us in and out were lovely enough, but the room we had was really poor. The room was cold, which is not good in December, even though I turned the heating right up. The duvet on the bed was hard and rough, so much so I slept in my clothes. The pillows were awful. The toilet was downstairs but had not sink so we had to then go back to our room to wash our hands. The shower was upstairs which was fine but as we had only taken hand luggage we didnt have towels so had to use theirs and they were rock hard. But fantastic location and lovely people, just needs a bit of an overhaul. The breakfast was basic but nice enough.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank leelee1969
There are newer reviews for Gasthaus Hinterbruehl

Reviewed June 23, 2012

I had a huge argument with the owner at check in since they had charged my entire 4 night stay, a day before I arrived. I'd booked through Booking.com. The owner (and Booking.com - which I normally like) insisted my confirmation said it would be pre-charged. the printed confirmation I had with me said no such thing. It said it would pre-approve the charge - which is not the same, and I needed to put the charge on a different card than I reserved with. It took a very long argument, a long call to booking.com and a lot of convincing to get the owner to finally call Visa to walk him through running a credit. He apologized but the damage was done.

I had a single room. The toilet was down half a level. They never bothered to even tell me where the shower was. The restaurant was always filed with smokers. the breakfast was limited. My room was not too bad - sort of cute, and did not smell like smoke. But overall, it was so worth it for me to spend a bit more to get a drastically nicer room. the only good parts are the prices and location.

Room Tip: go elsewhere...if your bags are heavy try not to be on a higher floor since there are only stairs.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 23, 2012

A very old but comfortable hotel in the old part of Salzburg, very convenient to Salzburg's attractions. The rooms are old fashioned but comfortable enough, and the hotel does a nice breakfast. Our room involved a separate toilet and shower, but that was part of the deal and it wasn't too inconvenient. On the downside, a lot of people in Salzburg smoke, including the proprietors of the hotel, inside, and shop owners, outside our window.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2011

We had the triple/family room at the Hinterbruhl and thought it was very nice. We were pleasantly surprised that our room had a shower and a balcony. There was also a mini-fridge in the room. The hotel was clean, in a convenient location and the staff was helpful if you were patient in dealing with the language barrier. They helped us out by calling Panorama Tours when they failed to pick us up as scheduled. The breakfast was also pretty good.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 20, 2011

If you're a backpacker and literally need a place to crash that is near all the sights, this place is for you. Otherwise, there are probably other places that are around the same money that are a lot better. Our room was just not very nice - friend with allergies had a hard time with all of the dust and mold. Very very dated rooms with very tacky design, and old furniture. I was a bit grossed out to get in the bed.

However, having said all of that, the location was amazing. We could walk into "Old Town" in a matter of 5 minutes, and had free parking (over the weekend) just around the corner from the place. We drove from Croatia.

I wouldn't go to this place though again, even with the great location. Going into it, I thought it was going to be a stop up from a hostel, but I've stayed in better hostels.

Oh, and we had a shower in our room, but the WC was down the hall and one flight of stairs down.

Also, huge security question - there seems to be one key that opens all doors. For example, we could open hotel rooms on the floor below us, b/c we didn't know we were on the wrong floor. This didn't make us feel particularly safe.

The breakfast did exceed our expectations, but that could've been b/c we had very low expectations of the breakfast given our room and rest of the establishment. It was a very small amt. of cereal, yogurt, roles, ham and very very bad coffee.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank mommabetsy
Reviewed January 19, 2011

I was there for the New Years, and because i was booking so late i have got a room with no bathroom at all only sink with cold and hot water. The toilet was close to the room and shower as well so it wasn't too bad. The room was small but clean.Hotel has no reception at all. Staff friendly and helpful. Breakfast very basic but good especially the coffee. Location is very convenient ,very close to the old town (5min walk). The only thing is that the restaurant downstairs is closing very early around 5-7 pm and then there is no option to get any hot drink in the hotel. Slazburg is a winter resort so I would suggest the owner to bring to the rooms at least kettle and few mugs to actually have the opportunity to drink something warm in the evening or to install special machine downstairs in the corridor to get something hot to drink. I would also suggest the owner to change at least the towels and linen for new. But overall the hotel is not too bad.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 9, 2009

When I arrived the manager was a little cold and asked me to pay in cash only immediately ( he said his credit card machine was not working ). I paid him on the spot and then when I asked for a receipt, he said he was too busy ( which he seemed to be - though not too busy to take my money ) and that I should come back in an half hour. I did as he said and he still seemed a little cold but gave me the receipt. The room was one with a sink and the bathroom and shower are down the corridor. There was no t.v. in the room. The room was very clean and cozy - I do not think there was any closet to hang clothing - it is a relatively small room. The bed was comfortable and it was very quiet at night. The breakfast was very basic and the staff was not that friendly. The location is very good and the place is clean. So for over priced Salzburg this place is a good bargain.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo