“Great view”
Review of Schone Aussicht

Schone Aussicht
Ranked #55 of 132 Hotels in Salzburg
Reviewed May 19, 2012

We stayed two nights at this interesting little family run hotel. Our GPS directed us to turn one street too early and we ended up with an unintentional visit to a farm. Careful if you have a Garmin GPS. The hotel is situated on the side of a hill providing a wonderful view of the city and the surrounding mountains. It is very peaceful yet still only a 10 euro cab ride to the city centre if you don't have a car. They have a very good restaurant serving typical Austrian dishes and the breakfast offered lots of options as well. The rooms were OK. Much of the hotel could use some updating but everything was certainly functional. We had to ask for a different room for my elderly parents as two large flights of stairs would have been difficult for them and there is no elevator.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mawman
There are newer reviews for Schone Aussicht

Reviewed April 12, 2012

This is a hard review! I wish I could give 3.5, as this was above average, but just not quite in the league of other hotels I've given a 4 to.

Suffice to say, this is a very high 3. If I was rating the restaurant on it's own, I would give the restaurant a 4 :)

Pros
* Absolutely stunning view and location. Really, there can't be a hotel in the whole of salzburg with a better view
* Dinner in the restaurant for a couple of the nights was great. Excellent food, very lovely waitress.
*Breakfast was simple, not a hot breakfast, but the ham, eggs and bread etc were beautifully fresh.

Cons
* We were there over Easter, and I think it's 2 families that run the place, and they had a function on Easter Sunday. I felt a little bit like we were intruding.
* Rooms are basic, bathrooms are very small, but totally serviceable and clean. Rooms were probably the main reason I couldn't give this place a 4.
* No lift, so definitely no ability for a disabled person to stay. Not generally a problem, but I had unfortunately broken my leg just before we went. Not the hotel's fault at all but it is something to keep in mind if you are at all physically challenged.
* You definitely do need a car. For us, the view and location were well worth it, but I can see how this hotel would be a massive pain if you didn't have a car. Though, we did get a cab into town a few times so we could have some drinks and it was only about 10 euros.

Overall, it was a good hotel, did the job, and the views were absolutely amazing. Helpful staff, good food in the restaurant.

Room Tip: Get one with a balcony over looking the city. just beautiful.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank juicyblue
Reviewed December 31, 2011

The hotel was quite easy to find using our sat nav, although we arrived at night, it wasn't that easy to see the sign posts directing guests to the hotel. Upon arrival we were warmly greeted by the hotel reception / manager. The hotel bedroom had a large balcony with a fabulous view overlooking Salzburg and the Austrian Alps, probably the best views of Salzburg from this hotel. The room was comfortably furnished with a comfy bed and bright bathroom with a good shower. The breakfast was very nice with a good selection for all tastes and even a nespresso espresso maker. We also had two evening meals at the hotel which were delicious and of a very good quality. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who has the use of a car to visit the many attractions Salzburg has to offer and visit the beautiful countryside surrounding the hotel. We both had a lovely time in the hotel, sightseeing Salzburg and the beautiful Austrian countryside. The hotel was also excellent value for money.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Globalian
Reviewed October 24, 2011

This hotel is located up above the city in the woods. Nice, quiet place with a city view. It`s not far away from the city - few minutes by car. Very nice and friendly staff. We had a room under the roof, lot of space and was clean also. Furnished in typical Austrian style. Breakfast are included and very tasteful, you have variety of choice. For a good price you`ll get good service.
But, don`t forget to go for a dinner here! Simply amazing! I had the best fish soup (fresh fish) I`ve ever had, fantastic main dish and salads. Local wine is good and service perfect! We`ll come back to this calm, relaxing place with fantastic kitchen and "feels like home" spirit once we`re in Salzburg again!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2011

We booked this hotel as we were driving through Europe. YOU NEED A CAR for this hotel..!!!!! I have to confess the journey off the main road to the hotel was a little scary...but when we were sitting on the balcony having a wonderful meal in peace and quiet...it was worth it all....
our room had the most breath taking views....
we did walk down the hill and catch a bus into the town ( about 3 euros, then a taxi for our return trip about 8 euros...
the rooms were a little dated..but it's not a chain of hotels and that is the magic about the place.
we didn't use the pool...only because we forgot out swim suits...which was a great shame because it looked very inviting....

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank simplesNorthampton
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We chose to stay at Schone Aussicht because it looked amazing on the website and was particularly reasonably priced. The hotel itself was fine, very clean but quite dated and some things needed updating, such as a very rusty table on our balcony. The pool was not as I had imagined from the picture, and the tennis courts were also very run down.
It was amazingly quiet though, and we both slept very well every night.
We ate at the restaurant on the first evening of our stay, mainly because it was too late to head out, but this was quite expensive. Whilst the portions were generous have s and service excellent, my food was so salty I could almost barely eat it, and my partner's food was similar, although not quite so bad.
Breakfast was very good though, with a big selection of cereals, breads, ham, cheese, yoghurt, boiled eggs etc and also it ran from 7.30 to 10.30, which was great for us as we are not great morning people!
The biggest downfall was that it was so far out of town, we had underestimated the walk to the nearest bus stop, which was also pitch black at night and through a covering of trees. The weather was awful when we were there, which I think didn't help matters, especially as we didn't have a car to get us around.
All in all, it's a great base if you have a car and want to explore areas around Salzburg, otherwise it's just a little too inaccessible to the city. I'd also avoid eating at the restaurant if possible (although the wine selection was excellent).

Room Tip: The city views were fantastic, ask for one when booking
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Context: 30 year old couple traveling through Europe in a car.

We passed through Salzburg on the way to Italy from Germany, and booked a couple of nights at this place. We read the reviews that said "not worth staying here unless you have a car" and decided, "we have a car so let's do it!"

Location: If you don't have a car, then I would not recommend staying here! It's on a hill side overlooking the town, so to get here you need to drive up a hill for 5 minutes or so. Without a car, I would've been annoyed.

Value for money was ok I guess.

Service was average: I've stayed at other places where the guy will carry your luggage to your room... I had to do it myself here. Didn't really bother me, but expect to lift your stuff up a flight of stairs. Guy was pretty helpful though with tourist type questions, but the reception was not 24 hour. Only manned until 9pm.

Sleep quality was great! The bed was comfortable and it was two singles pushed together so we had heaps of room. The only thing that disrupted our sleep was the decor. I think my fiance and I have seen too many horror films because we both got a little creeped out in the place, with the really old decor, and it smelled like an old-people's home. Also when I went out into the corridor one time to get a coke from the bar fridge, a massive draft came through and slammed shut the room to the laundry area. I know what you're thinking... what a wuss. :)

We got a room with a balcony that overlooked the city. The view of the mountains and the city were breath taking... almost balanced out the other negatives!

Overall this place was ok, but the brekkie was a bit average, the decor was really old. It smelt and looked like an old people's home, and I'm pretty sure it's haunted. However, it you don't believe in ghosts, have a car, and over the age of 50, then I'd say stay here!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple