“Relax with amazing kitchen”
Review of Schone Aussicht

Schone Aussicht
Ranked #56 of 132 Hotels in Salzburg
Reviewed October 24, 2011

This hotel is located up above the city in the woods. Nice, quiet place with a city view. It`s not far away from the city - few minutes by car. Very nice and friendly staff. We had a room under the roof, lot of space and was clean also. Furnished in typical Austrian style. Breakfast are included and very tasteful, you have variety of choice. For a good price you`ll get good service.
But, don`t forget to go for a dinner here! Simply amazing! I had the best fish soup (fresh fish) I`ve ever had, fantastic main dish and salads. Local wine is good and service perfect! We`ll come back to this calm, relaxing place with fantastic kitchen and "feels like home" spirit once we`re in Salzburg again!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 31, 2011

We booked this hotel as we were driving through Europe. YOU NEED A CAR for this hotel..!!!!! I have to confess the journey off the main road to the hotel was a little scary...but when we were sitting on the balcony having a wonderful meal in peace and quiet...it was worth it all....
our room had the most breath taking views....
we did walk down the hill and catch a bus into the town ( about 3 euros, then a taxi for our return trip about 8 euros...
the rooms were a little dated..but it's not a chain of hotels and that is the magic about the place.
we didn't use the pool...only because we forgot out swim suits...which was a great shame because it looked very inviting....

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank simplesNorthampton
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We chose to stay at Schone Aussicht because it looked amazing on the website and was particularly reasonably priced. The hotel itself was fine, very clean but quite dated and some things needed updating, such as a very rusty table on our balcony. The pool was not as I had imagined from the picture, and the tennis courts were also very run down.
It was amazingly quiet though, and we both slept very well every night.
We ate at the restaurant on the first evening of our stay, mainly because it was too late to head out, but this was quite expensive. Whilst the portions were generous have s and service excellent, my food was so salty I could almost barely eat it, and my partner's food was similar, although not quite so bad.
Breakfast was very good though, with a big selection of cereals, breads, ham, cheese, yoghurt, boiled eggs etc and also it ran from 7.30 to 10.30, which was great for us as we are not great morning people!
The biggest downfall was that it was so far out of town, we had underestimated the walk to the nearest bus stop, which was also pitch black at night and through a covering of trees. The weather was awful when we were there, which I think didn't help matters, especially as we didn't have a car to get us around.
All in all, it's a great base if you have a car and want to explore areas around Salzburg, otherwise it's just a little too inaccessible to the city. I'd also avoid eating at the restaurant if possible (although the wine selection was excellent).

Room Tip: The city views were fantastic, ask for one when booking
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Context: 30 year old couple traveling through Europe in a car.

We passed through Salzburg on the way to Italy from Germany, and booked a couple of nights at this place. We read the reviews that said "not worth staying here unless you have a car" and decided, "we have a car so let's do it!"

Location: If you don't have a car, then I would not recommend staying here! It's on a hill side overlooking the town, so to get here you need to drive up a hill for 5 minutes or so. Without a car, I would've been annoyed.

Value for money was ok I guess.

Service was average: I've stayed at other places where the guy will carry your luggage to your room... I had to do it myself here. Didn't really bother me, but expect to lift your stuff up a flight of stairs. Guy was pretty helpful though with tourist type questions, but the reception was not 24 hour. Only manned until 9pm.

Sleep quality was great! The bed was comfortable and it was two singles pushed together so we had heaps of room. The only thing that disrupted our sleep was the decor. I think my fiance and I have seen too many horror films because we both got a little creeped out in the place, with the really old decor, and it smelled like an old-people's home. Also when I went out into the corridor one time to get a coke from the bar fridge, a massive draft came through and slammed shut the room to the laundry area. I know what you're thinking... what a wuss. :)

We got a room with a balcony that overlooked the city. The view of the mountains and the city were breath taking... almost balanced out the other negatives!

Overall this place was ok, but the brekkie was a bit average, the decor was really old. It smelt and looked like an old people's home, and I'm pretty sure it's haunted. However, it you don't believe in ghosts, have a car, and over the age of 50, then I'd say stay here!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SpencerDavey
Reviewed July 14, 2011

If you have a car, I would definitely recommend staying at this hotel. The views are amazing, but the road up to the hotel is steep and windy; but there is plenty of free parking. The rooms were small but clean, and breakfast is free. I'm gluten intolerant, and since the typical hotel breakfast consists mainly of pastries, I usually don't hold out much hope. But the breakfast selection at Schone Aussicht was great, and there was plenty there that I was able to eat.

The major downfall is that there is free wifi, but it's only accessible from the hotel lobby. Additionally, there is no elevator at the hotel and our room was on the 3rd floor.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2011

Excellent small hotel, pure and cozy numbers, the affable personnel, the finest kind from number. I recommend to everything, but with one reservation, it is desirable to have any vehicle as the hotel is located on a grief out of a zone of access of public transport.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 27, 2011

The location of the Schone Aussicht is both its greatest asset and downside. Located atop hills of eastern Salzburg, it offers a pleasant atmosphere and a gorgeous view of the city.

But be prepared to tackle the lengthy hill to the hotel if you're walking. (Driving up this hill is also tricky, as it is quite narrow with blind corners). At the bottom of the hill, a bus will take you directly to Salzburg's city center.

Rooms are charming, well-furnished and comfortable. Be sure to get a city-view balcony while staying here to really appreciate the location. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful.

The food at the in-hotel restaurant is excellent. Which is good, because no grocery stores or other eateries are nearby.

One caveat—one night the restaurant and reception area was booked for a birthday party. We were blocked from ordering at the restaurant for about two hours. Worse, the music was booming late into night, easily audible from our room. I went downstairs at 11:00 PM to complain to the receptionist (they acknowledged my complaint and turned the music down, thankfully).

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family