“Perfect location, beds traditional and small”

Altstadthotel Kasererbraeu
Ranked #41 of 132 Hotels in Salzburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We had the perfect location with this hotel right in the middle of Salzburg. I recommend it for that. However, if you are over 6 ft tall, you may not fit in the beds, as they are sometimes the traditional wooden carved single beds pushed together to be a double. Exposed wooden frames in the center are awkward...but quaint. The hotel bar was accommodating, with plenty of Marillenschnapps. Sights were literally steps away, but hotel was relatively quiet. Parking is a bit confusing, and narrow. No big SUVs recommended. This is Europe, and cities were built for horse and carriage, especially in Mozart's city. Enjoy.

Room Tip: When checking in, ask about the bed situation. All rooms are different.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Anita L
There are newer reviews for Altstadthotel Kasererbraeu

Reviewed December 30, 2013

This hotel is another one of those places perfect for families with teenage children, as the “Suite Leopoldskron” has a bathroom, main bed and sofa downstairs and a second bed upstairs. The two spaces are neither soundproof nor very isolated, but it’s certainly good enough to ensure privacy. We loved the hotel’s web site and email communication – so nice to find places that don’t criticise (too much!) somewhat-abysmal German from an Australian.

It’s located in the old city and less than a five minute walk from the Christmas markets and Mozartplatz. The road opposite leads upwards to the lower station of the funicular railway to the Fortress. In December, we found several of the local restaurants had closed up for the season, but we didn’t have too much difficulty finding nice places to eat nearby and the supermarket almost opposite supplied the ingredients for a picnic for lunch one day. Our daughter loved the local shops, including a great teddy bear shop a few doors away and a shoe shop opposite.

The breakfast was quite nice, with some seasonal selection (great gingerbread) and fresh fruit in addition to a plethora of cold breakfast items and a selection of breads to toast.

Our highlights – turning out the lights the first night and realising that we had a perfect view of the fortress through the window high above our heads. And then waking the next morning, looking out the same window and seeing snowflakes falling.

Room Tip: Families should secure a suite on the top floor - we found the room ideal.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank nawlinsgk
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Our travel agent selected this hotel for us and we were very pleased. The room was large and comfortable. Nice bathroom/shower/tub (didn't use the jacuzzi tub but it was available - we are shower people). The location was great - just a short walking distance to the center of the old town. The dining room was lovely and was beautifully decorated for the Christmas season. The breakfast was good, not as elaborate as some of the places we stayed in Germany, but still had enough choices. The hotel employees were friendly and very helpful. I would definitely recommend this hotel to others and would stay there again if we ever go back to Salzburg.

Room Tip: If you travel w/lots of suitcases, bring an extra pillow! There is only one pillow per person and t...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sonja S
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I had read the reviews for this hotel very carefully before booking a weekend getaway with my husband but still felt disappointed with this hotel. It wasn't a bad hotel - I have stayed in far worse - but it really didn't meet my expectations.

Pros:
- location was excellent and in walking distance to most of the main sights in Salzburg and the old city
- I thought it was reasonably priced compared to other hotels in the old part of the city
- it had its own parking lot (for a daily fee) but this was convenient if you wanted to drive somewhere in the car
- nice breakfast and breakfast room
- good service at the front desk

Cons:
- smallest room ever for the price
- smallest bathroom ever in any hotel I've stayed in
- didn't meet my expectation of a four star hotel

I had read reviews saying the bathrooms were small but I thought people were just complaining...apparently they were accurate. I am a slim person but I could not stand facing the sink and lean forwards (to rinse my face or brush teeth) without bumping I to the door. Standing sideways at the sink there were only two inches between my hips and the door.

My other big complaint is that the room was so small the double bed was pushed against the wall which means someone has to climb over to get out. I think a double room needs to have room on both sides of the bed!!

There were no photos on the web showing double rooms this small. I felt a little bit duped to think I was going to get one of the ones pictured on the website but end up with the one we got (327)which was very tiny.

I don't mean to be too negative. I'm sure the larger rooms are lovely and the location and service were excellent. I would even be willing to stay here again or recommend it to others with the caveat that they make sure they know what size of room they will get.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LivingInWien
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is quaint and ideally located within historic Salzburg. Many local sights are within walking distance, and the window view from our room was breathtaking. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. We found Salzburg and this hotel to be one of our more memorable European getaways.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ACH_GNV
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We stayed for three nights in November , had a wonderful room overlooking the nonberg abbey and castle used in the sound of music . rooms were cleaned to a high standard, bedding was lovely. Staff were friendly, breakfasts were great. Hotel is only a two minute walk in the centre of Salzburg. . Will definitely return and would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Salzburg. Thanks for a wonderful stay

Room Tip: Ask for a room on top floor overlooking abbey, just beautiful
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank bessy51
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I wouldn't let my dog stay in thus hotel. Left early and checked into another hotel no hot water, bed so uncomfortable and noisy I slept on the floor. Didn't natter that there was construction work all night on other floors. These people should not be running a hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013