“Not recommended”
Review of Haus Kernstock

Haus Kernstock
Ranked #50 of 63 Salzburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 19, 2008

It's true that she is not particularly friendly and we blame it on her Germanic background. What annoyed the hell out of me, however, are the bedbugs which devoured me - a week later I am itching like crazy. On the positive side she did not charge us for the friend who did not turn up.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
HausKernstock, Besitzer at Haus Kernstock, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2009

Haus KERNSTOCK guaranteed for biggest cleanliness and hygiene in all its rooms and in the whole house!

with kind regards
Elfriede Kernstock

Reviewed July 1, 2008

My fiance and I stayed at Kernstock last weekend. Most of the reviews I read were very positive so I didn't really pay attention to those that were negative. Big mistake.

Ms. Kernstock is very rude. She treats you as if you should be greatful that you are staying in her home, and not like a guest. She didn't know how long our reservation was because she tried to kick us out early. She didn't even know the rate at which we booked the room. She tried to overcharge us until I showed her the booking confirmation.

Upon arrival she dumped us off at our room door with a key and left without saying a word. I went in to see the room. It looked very well kept. A few minutes later I stick my head out the window to see the mountains and much to my surprise I discovered Ms. Kernstock outside hanging up laundry in only her underwear!

Our room temperature reached about 90 F at night. We asked for a fan but her only response was to open the window. No kidding, never would have thought to do that. Our ONE window had been open the entire time and it made absolutely NO difference.

Her idea of Breakfast? Toast.

Now, I'm not a spoiled traveler. This place is far from town, way too hot in the summer, and flat out not worth the Euros you'll have to pay. I've stayed in hostels better than this. Every other place we stayed in Austria was in the same price range and very, very excellent in comparison.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed January 6, 2008

I had a very bad experience with Ms. Kernstock. I did the reservation online, and 2 days before my arrival in Salzburg, I got a SMS saying Reservation was OK... On the day I arrived in Salzburg, I called Ms. Kernstock and surprizingly she said "NO RESERVATION". Finally I with other 7 friends accepted her offer to stay on that night.. The worse thing came on the next morning when after the breakfast, she roughly ask us to leave immediately (it was 9am in the morning!!!)... The place was actually a nice place, but the service was terrible... And finally, I loss my 36,80 EURO (10% for down payment which I paid before) since she said "NO RESERVATION".... So I would recommend you NOT to stay here if you find any other place...

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 29, 2007

Our stay was very similar to the other reviewers. So, I wish I had discovered TripAdvisor.com prior to booking my stay. We found our room to be clean and comfortable, but the location and hospitality could use come improvement. It is a 20 minute bus ride from the train station and then a 10 minute hike to the house. We had to hike there in the pouring rain, so thankfully we were on a backpacking trip because it would have been a nightmare had we brought regular luggage. The dog kennel down the road was quite loud, but on the bright side we did find a restaurant in a near by sports complex that was a true delight. We definitely got the "Europe through the Back Door" experience there and loved our authentic Austrian dinner. Breakfast on the other hand was anything but delightful. We were offered only toast, jam, coffee and tea. Our hostess was so gruff and overbearing that we were afraid to speak to each other while in the breakfast room. We couldn't get out of there fast enough. It should be noted that she proceeded to eat cheese with her toast but did not offer us the same. While the price was cheap, it would have been more enjoyable had our hostess been friendly. What we will never forget is that she barged into our room before we were ready to depart and started stripping the sheets off the bed while we were packing up our backpacks. All in all, we got a good laugh out of it and were glad we only stayed one night.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Green_Irish_Eyes
Reviewed August 10, 2006

When we arrived the place was deserted, but we were encouraged by the message at the door: "If no one is in make yourself comfortable on the sun loungers on the front terrace", however..... the gate to the "Front terrace" was securely bolted and we never did get access to the sun loungers - we should have read the signs.

Everything other people have said about the breakfasts is true! Small helpings in the crowded eating area - ("there's no room, come back in ten minutes"!). If you don't fancy bread and processed cheese then you're out of luck! Also Frau Kerstock's idea of table service borders on harrassment, she practically sits at the table with you whilst you're eating and beware when talking amongst yourselves, because we reckoned her grasp of English was better than she was letting on!

If you do fancy the "Sound of Music" tour then you're definitely OK, because Frau Kerstock must have shares in the trip, she'll remind you that you can "book it from here if you like" at every given opportunity!

She wants paying in cash, (ie no credit cards), and finally, bring your own bath plug because there wasn't one, and when I asked for one she responded as if the use of a bath plug was the most ridiculous eccentric English custom!

Do yourself a favour and go elsewhere, you don't need this grief.

Stayed: July 2006
7  Thank Riddo
Reviewed July 3, 2006

Our family of five stayed at the kernstock house on june 17th thru the 19th and found problem after problem with this place! To begin with when we arrived Mrs Kernstock son had given our room away but not our kids room. She did though make arrangments for us to stay at a friends B&B which was a bit nicer than hers. It definately had a better breakfast!

The second problem was the breakfast at the Kernstock house the food is not too good matter of fact most of us felt sick after eating it. She also does not have enough room for everyone to eat at one time. She can only sit 6 people at once. She has sleeping rooms for well over six though. She tries to kick you out of the room as soon as possible to fit more in for breakfast. My daughter came in on her own for breakfast one morning and found herself being sent from the table to the countertop and then being asked over three times if she was done.

In addition to this she offers very little for breakfast and if you want more you have to ask and she gives you dirty looks. My son is a big eater and she really got upset over his big appetite but we are paying for this and every other breakfast we ate at had tons of food for all. She basically tries to do as little as possible for as much money as she can get out of her place.

The place is situatied in a horrible spot with trucking companies all around it the noise is horrible and since there is no airconditioning you have to have your windows open to all the noise!

She also never gives you new towels and did not even do our room up one of the days we stayed. In addition to this in our room when we flushed the toilet the shower bubbled up as if it was backing up into the shower. It was definately not a comfortable feeling.

My final big complaint about this place was that in her information about this place it says she takes credit cards NOT SO!!! We had a bill of over 400 dollars and yet she still demanded cash from us!! Finally she also advertises a travel desk this is also a lie she has pamphlets that is it and unless you are going to the sound of music tour which she touts as the best ever (obviosly she must be getting a commission since this is all she lives for) you might as well forget it!!

Take my advice don't stay here! You definately do not get what you pay for here!!

• Stayed: June 2006
8  Thank Mannycalavera
A TripAdvisor Member
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 5, 2006

Last year, my husband and I had a wonderful 6 week 'round-the-world' holiday, where we stayed in B & B's in USA, Canada and Austria. We enjoyed wonderful hospitality in all our B & B's except for this one in Salzburg. We had the same experience as your "was not impressed" member. We were also promised an airport pick-up, but on arrival was told to catch a taxi. The room was stiflingly hot - something we would not have anticipated in Austria. I asked if we could borrow a fan and was told "no, it is summer, what do you expect?" There were large trucking yards for refrigerated trucks surrounding the property. The trucks would have their motors running for hours and there was a constant 'machinery noise'. On the third side were dog kennels - also very noisy neighbours. Alfreda seemed to begrudge us being there - she gave us very vague directions to the busstop which led to us getting lost on our first day out.
We had to ask for towels and toilet paper after the 2nd day. The pillows were like small quilts - very little stuffing. Luckily there were some cushions in the room that we could use for pillows. The room was very uncomfortable. Breakfast was only toast and toppings. My husband asked for orange juice and again we heard a very definite "no". Haus Kernstock was the only black spot on our otherwise perfect holiday.

• Stayed: June 2005