“Loved this hotel”

Hotel Wolf-Dietrich
Ranked #33 of 132 Hotels in Salzburg
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two nights in mid-April 2013. It was great. We were in the set of rooms that the hotel keeps in a building across the street. Our room was modern and clean -- and, this was a real treat -- it had an air conditioning unit. During our stay, it was warm and still outside, and having the windows open didn't really help cool down the room. Being able to run the air conditioner made the room cold enough at night to be comfortable. (Some of the other hotel rooms we stayed in throughout our trip in Germany and Austria either did not have air conditioning or perhaps had not turned it on yet for the season). Another great feature of this hotel is that you can borrow a DVD from a cabinet in the lobby. Every hotel should have this! We would definitely stay at this hotel again should we return to Salzburg.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 16, 2013

I visit Salzburg once a year and usually stay in a hostel to save a few pennies. This time however, I decided to treat myself and stay at a "proper" hotel. I'd been really looking forward to a bit of luxury. My single room was very small - about 8ft by 10ft and the bathroom was so tiny I had to get in to the shower in order to close the door. The shower cubicle itself was also very small so it was like trying to shower while having your arms tied by your sides. I'd paid about 78 euros a night and I don't think that was a fair price for 3 nights in a cupboard. I couldn't see any air con so the room must be boiling in summer. You wouldn't really want the window open all night because there are church bells ringing very close to the back of the hotel.

I had forgotten my hairdryer. There was a thing in the bathroom that looked like it should be a hairdryer but I could blow harder than it could. When I asked at reception the man said he'd have a look for one and if he found one, bring it to my room. Nothing ever materialised. On my 2nd morning I asked if they had any other rooms free that I could move to. I was told they were full. With both of these requests the men I spoke to didn't seem at all bothered that they couldn't help me.

However, there were also plus points to this hotel. The breakfast was very good. You could choose from a variety of breads, meats, cheeses, cereals, fruit juices & cakes. There were also frankfurters, scrambled eggs, bacon, salmon and boiled eggs. The waitresses at breakfast were very nice & helpful.

The decor in communal areas was good and I liked the fact you got a welcome prosecco and that they offer complimentary coffee & cake at 3pm every day. I also saw in to a few other bedrooms and they all looked much better than mine.

My advice is do stay here if you get a good price but don't choose a single room in case you get put in the cupboard. I came away disappointed and in future will stay elsewhere because of this. I would give my bedroom 2 stars and the hotel 4.

Room Tip: Don't book a single room!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Striker54
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We needed a family room for one night on the way home from a ski trip. I chose this hotel as the configuration of the family room was ideal with a separate, but self contained, bedroom for the children off the main room. Every aspect of our stay was perfect from the ease of ringing up to make the reservation, accessing the room (early), information from the front desk, secure parking to the wonderful breakfast. The staff were really friendly and helpful, particularly with the breakfast where they ensured the great selection available was replenished and fresh. It was a shame we only stayed one night but hope to return soon.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank YLLondon
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We stayed in the Residenz portion of this hotel, which is located just across the street. We arrived in Salzburg without a place to stay so we were happy to be welcomed at Hotel Wolf-Dietrich by the very friendly staff. They gave us each a free drink in the hausbar and even let us take it up to our room since I wasn't feeling well. We also borrowed a few DVDs from their extensive collection in the lobby (yes, The Sound of Music was one of them).

Our room was extremely clean and the bathroom was especially nice. The beds were very comfortable, and we had a nice view out our window of Wolf-Dietrich Strasse. We ate some takeout dinner from a vegetarian Indian restaurant across the street, which I would recommend. There is also a grocery store just down the street on Linzer Gasse. The hotel provided breakfast, which was delicious.

My favorite thing about this hotel was how quiet it was. It is located in a pedestrian zone, so aside from the church bells ringing out from the Kapuzinerberg monastery, you don't hear a thing.

I do wish they provided parking, but the garage location was quite convenient and that's what we get for driving in Salzburg. :)

Room Tip: Residenz rooms are very quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank zenobianblue
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Stayed in the Residenz across the road from the main hotel - nicely furnished room with comfortable beds and a nice bright and airy bathroom. Check in service was very effecient and friendly staff - porter on hand to make sure that our bags were carried to our room.
Complementary afternoon tea and cake was a nice touch and the breakfast was nicely presented and varied with both hot and cold food. Only downside which you couldn't blame the hotel for was the noisy revellers on the street at 3:00 am - it would appear that even Austria has chavs !
Would recommend it as a good location and clean hotel overall

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Nice spa, friendly staff on hand, good breakfast. Room (in the 'Residenz' across the road) was smart although i don't like pushed together single beds. A bit noisy on the road. Decent shower. Good location for town and restaurants. Wifi dropped out a fair bit in our room.

Room Tip: 102 had some road noise.
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed here for a week in March 2013. Our room was in the apartment block across the road from the main hotel. The room itself is a fair size with a desk, arm chair and wardrobe. The bathroom was modern and had a good sized bath with overhead shower. The water temperature varied greatly and it was difficult to get the correct temperature as it tended to be boiling hot.
We found the room warm and the air conditioning unit was effective at cooling. The furniture was quite basic and could have been more luxurious. The bed particularly was hard and the feather pillows thin and unsupportive. Additonal cushions pillows would be beneficial especailly for watching TV/DVD. There was a good sized TV with DVD player. The hotel reception area has two large DVD libraries which are free to borrow by guests. No english TV channels avaliable so we appreciated having films to watch.
The room had a small safe (ask for the key from reception) which only held a few items - please note large tablets and laptops, cameras would not fit. There is a small minibar fridge with selection of cold drinks/snacks. Plenty of wardrobe space and hangers and shelves for storgage.
The breakfast was avaliable between 7:00 - 11:00 with a wide selection of continental foods of reasonable quality. Breakfast staff were always keen to help and provide fresh coffee or cook eggs to order. The small hotel bar area offered free coffee/tea and small cake every afternoon which was a nice touch. There was a chess board and books, magazines to browse.

Reception staff were very helpful and accommodated all of our requests including providing us with a kettle for our room (please note no tea/coffee provided in rooms so a travel kettle would be recommended). We arranged some trips and taxi through the reception which were carried out efficiently and promptly.

Location was good with a number of good resturants nearby. It was an easy and pleasant 10min walk to the centre of the old town. Two Spar shops are within a few mins walk for food and essentials but no shops generally open beyond 6pm. Plentiful bike racks in the street should you wish to hire a bike. Salzburg is an excellent city for cycling and has good public transport in general. We can recommend getting the Salzburg Card which gives entry to most tourist attractions and free public transport. The Natural History Museum and Fortress are very interesting.

The small swimming pool and spa area is clean and a good facility. Towels are provided and lockers free of charge. There is a steam room, sauna, infra red room, quiet room and small lounger space which is a pleasant relaxing area for reading a book. The small swimming pool was cool rather than warm but when swimming this was not an issue. We were slightly put off at the fact a man was in the pool before us naked but thankfully he vacated as we arrived. Whilst it is common in europe for no clothes to be worn in saunas and steam rooms we feel swim suits should be enforced where children could be present.

Improvements could be made by providing rooms with a full length mirror, kettle/mugs in rooms as standard, adequate blackout curtains and more comfortable beds/pillows.

Overall our trip was very pleasant and we would recommend staying at the Wolf Dietrich Hotel.

Room Tip: Many rooms are located in a seperate building across the road from the main hotel - if you want to b...
3  Thank travelling_pandas