“Excellent hotel..a bit 'cold' ...”

Hotel Schloss Monchstein
Ranked #1 of 132 Hotels in Salzburg
Athens, Greece
“Excellent hotel..a bit 'cold' ...”
Reviewed December 29, 2008

We stayed in Schloss Monchstein for 5 nights during Christmas....
The location of the hotel is really nice on top of a hill which offers stunning views over Salzburg..the ways to get to the city are either to take the Monchsberg elevator [about 10 min walk from the hotel / costs 3.6 euros return] or walk down to the city [20 / 25 minutes] or take your car [parking is not that easy]. The surroundings are very peaceful and quiet, so it is an ideal place to relax. Especially, when you see the hotel at night with lights on..it is really brethtaking..
The hotel itself breaths a posh but also snobbish air [you like it or not..]..The rooms are great, very spacious, wonderful huge marble bathrooms, plasma TV, sitting area, and nicely decorated..
The hotel is decorated and furnished in a fine way...[i prefer more minimal furniture, but you cannot deny the beauty of the classic]..The staff was very helpful and polite...
The breakfast is moderate for that kind of hotel. The quality is good but for that hotel you expect something more...
There is a spa area which is minimal..but limited in area..and a small if not at all gym..
Generally we had a nice stay but we would prefer a more warm hotel that makes u feel a bit like at home. However, we admit that the aforementioned hotel is a true 5 star hotel in almost all categories..Getting around the area, i think that with a bit more money i would stay in Schloss Fuschl which is truly amazing...I f you would like a castle in the middle of the city but also secluded then Schloss Monchstein is ideal for you

• Liked — the personnel and the rooms
  • Disliked — the breakfast
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank zoomendoscopist

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Modesto, California
Reviewed June 25, 2008

We chose this hotel for its location and history. It is a converted castle overlooking the city of Salzburg. When I booked this stay via email, I mentioned that my husband and I would be celebrating our anniversary on the day of arrival and I wished to have a special dinner. We were able to reserve what they call the "Smallest Restaurant in the World" We enjoyed a wonderful private 5 course meal in the tower room at the top of the hotel. Our meal lasted 3 1/2 hours and we were pampered the entire time. I even mentioned that our daughters were both vegetarians and they created a special meal just for them.

Upon our initial arrival at the hotel, we were escorted onto the sunny deck with champagne while the staff set up our rooms. Since the hotel sits on top of a hill, there is a wonderful wooded path that takes 5 minutes to walk to the lift at the museum in order to get to the center of the city. Each night we walked back and forth as the weather was wonderful and as we approached the entrance the staff came out to greet us with keys in hand.

This hotel is absolutely wonderful and I recommend it highly!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank fu3l3x
london
Reviewed May 25, 2008

Great hotel on the Monchstein hill overlooking Salzburg. Only 5 nins walk from the city centre. Fast check in with a free glass of champagne. The rooms are large and very well kept with nice TV and amazing bathroom. Breakfast was great with a lot of choices. The service is great and there are many small touches like free cake and fruits in the room, making this hotel my first choice in Salzburg.

• Liked — rooms, service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank moschino24_98
Indianapolis
Reviewed November 10, 2007

My friend and i stayed here for 3 nights in October. The rooms were excellent as well as the food. The staff was unbelievably attentive- for example, my friend forgot her expensive battery for a camera. They located a nearby shop and confirmed that it had what she needed. When we expressed our curiousity about the castle, we were given a spontaneous tour of the chapel, gothic room, larger suites, and other secrets of the hotel. We had the least expensive room and the only down side to that is that it did not feel very "castle like"; the larger suites retain some of the original castle walls and furnishings so that you feel you are in a castle. Otherwise, great place to stay- loved the heated tiles in the bathroom, the chandelairs everywhere, the free internet access, and the impeccable service

• Liked — service and style, fantastic vistas
  • Disliked — personal room was not
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
5 Thank Lillyindy
Brindisi, Italy
Reviewed July 11, 2007

This hotel was amazing. I travel all over the world for work and have stayed in many (too many) fine hotels. I've never taken the time to write about any of them on the internet. I must say that the Hotel Schloss Monchstein has to be one of my favorites. I happened across this "castle" a couple years ago while taking a walk in Salzburg. I saw the hotel, took a few pictures because it was so beautiful and that was that. A couple nice pictures filed away on my computer.

Fast forward to June of 2007 and I was in Korea. I met a fellow from Australia (kangaroos) that had just come from Austria (no kangaroos). He mentioned a really great hotel he stayed at in Salzburg located at the top of a hill overlooking the city. I immediately knew that he was describing the Hotel Schloss Monchstein! It just so happened I was planning a trip to Austria in the upcoming weeks so I contacted the hotel. I had to cancel a night at a resort spa to stay a night in Salzburg but, boy, was it worth it!

From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty. From the welcoming cocktail on the veranda to the friendly staff at the front desk this hotel met all my expectations (and then some). This is an old castle but it has been remodeled and has very nicely decorated rooms with internet access, plasma screens and DVD players. We found fresh fruit and pastries in the room as well as a bathtub with candles overlooking the city. Truly a wonderful experience for a weary traveler. The breakfast was made to order (included with the room) and was extraordinary. When we checked out we received a jar of fresh preserves that were made by the hotel just the day before. We hated to leave this hotel even though we knew another great hotel was waiting in another town.

I would not hesitate to book a room in this hotel again. It was everything I'd hoped for. I think the lack of comments about this great hotel would only be because it is rather hidden, it has an air of exclusivity and it's not a huge chain that everyone is familiar with.

• Liked — The atmosphere and the amazing staff
  • Disliked — It's a castle so rooms can be layed out a bit funky - certainly not a problem, though.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank SeattleGlassman
nisswa MN
Reviewed April 16, 2005

We are just completing a 3 night stay here and loved every minute. The staff was most helpful with dinner reservations, tours and at our every disposal.

While we were not right down in the middle of town and needed to do some walking, we didn't mind as we preferred to be away from the crowds.

We ate at the Pan E Vin, recommended by the staff. It was Italian and wonderful food.

We would stay here again in a minute.

• Stayed April 2005
8 Thank beebes
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2004

This is a spectacular hotel!!!! It is perched on the side of the mountain overlooking Salzburg. You can take an elevator to the town center. This is a luxury hotel and is all that you can expect. The restaurant is 2 stars and the food to die for. The included breakfast is exceptional. As are all the staff. We stayed 3 nights July 2004 and I would highly advise this if you are looking for somewhere special! I can do princess!!!

• Stayed July 2004